Before you ask please READ THIS

Galleries hierarchy

edited July 2014 in Fame Posts: 2
I've set up a bunch of different galleries, some of which are nested into gallery categories, and eventually I plan to have galleries sitting in a third level of nesting (inside a subcategory).

As far as I know this custom content type fails to:
* Populate the menu automatically
* Display correctly in the Gallery List page template (all galleries are displayed regardless of how deep I hide them inside of categories)
* Create relevant URL structures (categories are /kind/slug/ and galleries are /gallery/slug/)

This is the opposite to how things work with traditional WordPress content types, am I missing something or did you really make it so by design?

Because as it stands, it is alienating me and preventing to use your theme at all unless I want to spend a lot of time hacking it.

Comments

• AirAir
    edited July 2014 Posts: 10,970
    Hello there:-)
    NuovaOrizzonti said: Populate the menu automatically
    Can you tell more about this issue, cause I don't see any problems with putting galleires in menu. However I probably don't understand issue here.
    NuovaOrizzonti said: Display correctly in the Gallery List page template (all galleries are displayed regardless of how deep I hide them inside of categories)
    This is not problem, but our decision, as we never intended to make this part hierarchical.
    I understand you have changed it(gallery post type) to be hierarchical in fame\advance\cpt_gallery.php line ~51
            register_taxonomy(A13_CPT_GALLERY_TAXONOMY, array(A13_CUSTOM_POST_TYPE_GALLERY),
    array(
    "hierarchical" => false,
    "label" => __be('Galleries Types'),
    "labels" => $type_labels,
    "rewrite" => true,
    'show_admin_column' => true
    )
    );
    Cause without it you couldn't arrange them in settings.
    NuovaOrizzonti said: This is the opposite to how things work with traditional WordPress content types
    Yes it is opposite, but this is not native WP content, but theme extension, and that is why WP give option to choose how we wish this content to behave. So yes, it was our design decision. Good or bad - depends on who is judging :-)
    NuovaOrizzonti said: Create relevant URL structures (categories are /kind/slug/ and galleries are /gallery/slug/)
    What is wrong with this?

If you wish to continue discussion about more then one of your points then please start new topics for each one, so we will organize it somehow and hopefully find solution for all things.

PS. Thanks for "nice rating". Shame you didn't came to us first before putting such opinion. And there goes 5 start rating we had.

With regards.
    Post edited by Air on
  • I haven't changed the code at all.

The menu:
    How most themes/plugins work is by letting the admin put an item in the main menu, and display the sub-pages/custom elements as soon as they are added, in the hierarchy they are added in. That way the editors don't need access to admin functions, and there's less chance for messing things up.

For some reason this is not the case with Fame's galleries, and I don't see what's the upside of that.

The list page:
    This might be a simple naming issue, categories are hierarchical in standard WordPress content (and almost everywhere else), but apparently Gallery Categories are more like tags? If so, why is there a decent management of the drilldown in the breadcrumbs?

This is extremely confusing, and quite unwieldy. It confused my editor, and it turn it confused me, I bought a theme because I didn't want to develop one, so I haven't spent time checking on the code itself. But a word has value if its meaning is based on consensus. Categories are hierarchical, making them not so is ... weird.

URLs:
    URLs are supposed to make sense and be readable, 'kind' is ... irrelevant to the matter at hand, and I have no way to change it, specially, I have no way for the gallery path to reflect the gallery category slug I choose.

Long story short, it'll take me a lot of time trying to sell people that things as good as they are, and perhaps I'll have to create a largely modified child theme as well for some of the aspects. I don't mean to make it personal, but I disagree with the choices that were made about managing those few key aspects of galleries, and I feel like the documentation, the advertisement, and every other bit of material available to me before I bought the product was insufficient in informing me of things. If you say I can create Gallery Categories, I expect hierarchy, 'cause frankly it makes sense to.

I can change the rating at any time, but as far as it concerns my experience, this was badly advertised, and if I hadn't already spent time on it, I'd go looking for something different.
  • AirAir
    edited July 2014 Posts: 10,970
    Hello

First: If you want refund than you will have to ask Envato for it, cause they manage all this things. That is if you are really that unhappy with what you found in this theme.

BUT if you think this are just small issues and we can work it, out and you wish to help me resolve all your concerns then please start new topics for each case(copy there parts of your last post) and I will help and investigate each case.

Meanwhile I will check each of your issues to have some ready answers/questions for you.

I am sorry that you are wasting times, cause not everything is as you would wishes. I can only say that is very hard to make themes that are easy to use and at same time have big flexibility for hundreds of people, and sometimes don't get what they need right away.

With regards.
    Post edited by Air on
  • AirAir
    edited November 2014 Posts: 10,970
    NuovaOrizzonti said: How most themes/plugins work is by letting the admin put an item in the main menu, and display the sub-pages/custom elements as soon as they are added, in the hierarchy they are added in. That way the editors don't need access to admin functions, and there's less chance for messing things up.
    If anyone is interested how to do it you have to use plugin for such thing https://wordpress.org/plugins/custom-post-type-auto-menu/ as there is no native way of doing it even if NuovaOrizzonti said different:-)
    For pages it will work as it should but galleries are custom post type.

With regards.

Post edited by Air on