Before you ask please READ THIS

Background video not showing on all platforms

edited October 2014 in Blame Posts: 47
Hi there,
I seem to have one final problem with my website (I seem to keep saying that ;-).
When setting a background video it seems to play well on most generally used browser on PC's with Windows 7 (i.e. IE, Chrome, Firefox). But these same browsers don't show any video when using Windows8.
Also, none of the MP4 video's I have made so far (I made many with all different kind of settings) are not showing up at all on iPhone, iPad or Android devices. I read this nice article on Internet http://diveintohtml5.info/video.html and have allready added a .htaccess file to my video directory with
AddType video/ogg .ogv
AddType video/mp4 .mp4
AddType video/webm .webm
but that didn't help either. I used Miro and Handbrake editors with all kind of different settings but no success.
Do you have any idea on how to get my video playing on all common platforms? Preferrably all platforms but at least including iPhone, iPad and Android devices?
I see that when looking at the Blame theme example (http://blame.apollo13.kinsta.com/?a13_demo_set=default) on a tablet or smart phone a photo is showing instead of the loopcity video.
Any ideas on how to fix this?
How about one last coffee and donut, Air? :-)

Comments

To add to this: I think the problem is theme related because if I enter the web address of one of my video's directly it plays like a charm on both iPad and Android devices.
  • AirAir
    I had hard time to understand what you mean but now everything is clear.

Mobiles, and maybe windows 8(never seen it in action) won't play video without user interaction.

What does that mean? That when you put video in background it won't be playing, cause user didn't made it to play.

Why mobiles do so? To saver power, but more importantly to save bandwidth.

I will search for info about windows 8, but I suppose they do something similar to mobiles, as it was designed to work on mobile systems.
    rutger said: I see that when looking at the Blame theme example (http://blame.apollo13.kinsta.com/?a13_demo_set=default) on a tablet or smart phone a photo is showing instead of the loopcity video.
    Yes, cause knowing that what I wrote before you have to have there something for mobiles:-) So setup you background image also.

Check other themes to confirm what I say ;-)

With regards.
    Mobiles, and maybe windows 8(never seen it in action) won't play video without user interaction.
    That's correct. In W8 the video doesn't play either.
    OK, so just to be clear, it's technically impossible to have video's autoplay on mobile devices like tablets and smartphones?
  • AirAir
    I don't not 100% sure that it is impossible but according to my knowledge it is not possible to do it.
    However, when I see things that Youtube do with video elements on their site then I always think there is some huge knowledge that I have missed, but I still didn't confirmed how they do some impossible things on mobiles:-)

With regards.