Before you ask please READ THIS

Highlighted Menu Items While Using 'Go To #x'

edited February 2015 in Blame Posts: 28
Hello again,

I'm hoping to achieve something that I didn't realize was not included as a feature in your demo. Almost everything else I want is though! I am using the template as a single page, parallax website (I am not linking to any other pages outside of privacy, copyright and terms of use; and to your own website of course!). Because all my menu items function as a 'Go To #x' link within the single page I am using, I am not getting any highlighted menu options (technically, they are all highlighted!). I'm hoping you might know of a workaround that will allow the menu to highlight the section of the site that the user is browsing that still allows each of the menu items to link to a certain
title/section/anchor. If you have any ideas, do let me know!

Best,
Post edited by wileychandler on

Comments

• AirAir
    Hello again:-)

It was never designed for such action, so it just uses default wordpress highlighting of menu. Cause of that all anchors of current page will be highlighted.

Making this would require to write custom JavaScript that will handle all scrolling, what section is viewed and highlighting.

So for now I don't have any solution for you, however I will mark this topic, and think about it to see if I can think of something clever. Can you show me live link to your site? Maybe real example will help me in adding this feature.

With kind regards.
  • Hi!

I have been working on the site pretty heavily since I posted this and while I haven't found a work around yet. I do have a question that might create a temporary solution. I know that in the theme layout options I can choose the color for "menu links hover/active hover". Is there a way to separate those two options? That'd be a great solution.Then at least my visitors would be given a visual queue as to where they navigated to. My site isn't active so I'd have to give you a WP login. What is your preferred method to do that?

Thanks!
  • Also,

I sent a payment for a coffee your way for all of the prompt effort you've put in so far! I'll have to get some donuts and lattes your way if we can get this issue fixed!

Best,
  • AirAir
    wileychandler said: I sent a payment for a coffee your way for all of the prompt effort you've put in so far! I'll have to get some donuts and lattes your way if we can get this issue fixed!
    Thanks for that :-) However there is no need for buying coffees & donuts. I made this mechanism(buying coffee) for people that really needed to show their appreciation in physical way :-) PayPal still drinks big part of my coffee :-P
    I just want you to be happy as our customer :-)
    wileychandler said: s there a way to separate those two options? That'd be a great solution.Then at least my visitors would be given a visual queue as to where they navigated to.
    So I understand you would like the hover to show them where they are hovering right now, right?
    You could use such custom CSS

/***  HOVERS ***/
    .top-menu li li:hover > a, .top-menu li li.hovered > a{
        color: #D1D1D1;
        background-color: #0D0D0D;
    }
    /***  ACTIVE ***/
     .top-menu li li.current-menu-item > a, .top-menu li li.current-menu-ancestor > a {
        color: #D1D1D1;
        background-color: #0D0D0D;
    }
    Hope that helps.

With kind regards.
  • Hey,

I think that the code you included looks like it will do what I need. I'll give it a try. Is there anywhere in particular that I should place this code?

Thanks.
  • AirAir
    Yes, you should add it in custom CSS field :-) More info here http://apollo13.eu/docs/blame/#!/modification_of_theme_changing_css

With kind regards.
  • Hello once again,

I am having trouble getting these changes to take place within my theme. I have tried placing the line of code within both the original .css file via FTP and within Wordpress. I have attached a screen shot of where I have done so in Wordpress. As a side note, I also disabled Jetpack (as you mentioned to do in my other thread) so that shouldn't be affecting anything at this point.

Thanks!
    Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 11.03.34 AM.png
    1280 x 800 - 254K
  • AirAir
    Hi there:)

You have entered code in good place :-) However I would use rather Custom CSS filed :-)

Anyway you have set up same color for active and hover states :-) I didn't change this black values, as I didn't know what color scheme do you use.

If you like I can do it for you, but you have to send me temporary access(create new ADMIN account with fake e-mail) to your WP so I could check there what is going on? Send it here on forum via private message(click on my nick and there you will find option "Send Air a Message"). In message please attach link to topic it applies to.

With ind regards.
  • Hello,

I'm not sure I completely understand what you mean when you say that you , 'would use rather Custom CSS filed'. Sorry! I'd be happy to make a temporary login for you and will do so now. Also, I changed the color values to black in for both the hover and selected items so that I could see if the changes were taking place at all. which, sadly, they weren't :(

I'll private message the information you need shortly.

Thanks!
  • As a side note, I am trying to use the 'Use Any Font' plugin with this theme. It utilizes the tags feature that I have found in other Wordpress themes to change the fonts (such as "Headline 1 (h1 tags), Paragraphs (p tags), Block quotes, Lists (li tags)"). Is there a way to incorporate that functionality/the plugin into this theme?

It is related to the same site listed above.

Thanks!
  • AirAir
    Thanks for data.
    So lets start.

Cache thing: On top of your site you have such button "Flush cache". This is probably GoDaddy addition. I don't know, I don't like them:-) Anyway you will have to use it to see changes that you make. Or deactivate it. Check screen shot.

Next, about CSS I gave you - I didn't know you use it for main links. I gave CSS for submenu. Here is proper CSS:

/***  ACTIVE ***/
     .top-menu li.current-menu-item > a{
        color: #ff0000;
    }
    /***  HOVERS ***/
    .top-menu li:hover > a,  .top-menu li.current-menu-item:hover > a{
        color: #666;
    }

Custom CSS field - like explained in docs, but see screen shot :-)
    wileychandler said: As a side note, I am trying to use the 'Use Any Font' plugin with this theme. It utilizes the tags feature that I have found in other Wordpress themes to change the fonts (such as "Headline 1 (h1 tags), Paragraphs (p tags), Block quotes, Lists (li tags)"). Is there a way to incorporate that functionality/the plugin into this theme?
    I don't have any experience with this plugin, and don't know how it works. For changing fonts I would rather use build in options http://apollo13.eu/docs/blame/
    If you want to discuss this further then please start new topic.

With kind regards.
    sss.png
    527 x 215 - 150K
    s.png
    1097 x 921 - 56K
  • Thanks for the mind-blowing customer service you've been offering me. Almost unbelievable in this day and age. This solution worked perfectly. I'd say you deserve more than the small amount of money you've made from this theme if based only upon the customer service offered.

I'll check on the new topic.

Best,
  • AirAir
    I am glad that you are happy :-) and Thank you for your kind opinion. Such enthusiasm is also not often here:-)

I gave wrong link in previous post. Here is link to Font options http://apollo13.eu/docs/blame/#!/typography_menu

With kind regards.
  • AirAir
    edited March 2015 Posts: 10,970
    OK. I have spent some time on it, but I think I got solution for you :-) So you probably can remove this custom CSS.
    Anyway take this file from attached ZIP, unpack it, and upload it to wp-content/themes/blame/js

Remember to clear caches :-)

It should do dynamic marking in menu which anchor is currently visible on screen. I will help you if you face problems.

It works for me however :-)

With kind regards.
    zip
    zip
    script.zip
    Post edited by Air on
  • Hello,

I just realized that you'd replied to this thread. And thanks for the new code. I did run into a problem when I tried to use it. My site will not load past the pre-loader. If you're wiling to give it a shot, that'd be great. The log in information that I sent you directly the last time we spoke should work just fine. That said, am I correct in thinking that this will allow the section of the site that is currently visible to have it's corresponding menu item highlighted even when I'm using a single page?

Thanks!
  • AirAir
    Hi there:-)

Since that time I have added this code, fixed one not buggy as this above, to newest update, so you should update Blame theme, and you will have this functionality right away :-)

With kind regards.
  • Hi,

I have not made any of the updates because I am unfamiliar with exactly how working with a child theme works. My understanding is that when I make updates to the main theme, the modifications I have made to the child theme will be preserved. Is this correct? Accordingly, if I simply complete the update, it should have no negative effects on any custom CSS I have placed in the child theme, etc, correct?

Thanks!
  • AirAir
    You are correct. More info can be found here http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

How to update: http://apollo13.eu/docs/blame/#!/installation_update_update_theme

With kind regards.
  • When I followed the update instructions that are linked above, I was able to update the theme. However, my site was then unable to load in content correctly. I will try the same method again to see if I can get it to work properly this time.

Thanks.
  • AirAir
    If you face problems again then try doing update by FTP. And if you will still face problems then I will help you, so I could check what issue is blocking you.

With kind regards.
  • I was unable to update the theme properly after trying a few different methods. If you'd be willing to help, I'd certainly appreciate it. I am noticing a few specific problems with the updated theme. Namely: the menu is not loading, the revolution slider is not functioning properly and any content with a CSS animation on load is not showing.

Please help!

And thanks!
  • AirAir
    wileychandler said: am noticing a few specific problems with the updated theme. Namely: the menu is not loading, the revolution slider is not functioning properly and any content with a CSS animation on load is not showing.
    All of that sounds like JavaScript issue.

Anyway could you please send me temporary access(create new ADMIN account with fake e-mail) to your WP an FTP so I could check there what is going on? Send it here on forum via private message(click on my nick and there you will find option "Send Air a Message"). In message please attach LINK(!!!) to topic it applies to.

With kind regards.