Before you ask please READ THIS

Multiple Album Lists

Hello I'm trying to add a gallery within a gallery but essentially I guess the best way is to create multiple album list Pages? For instance, I want to create a gallery for LANDSCAPES, PORTRAITS, EVENTS. These would be on my main header/top of website. When someone clicks on Landscapes, it shows the 4 albums that relate to LANDSCAPES, like OCEANS, FOREST, SNOW, DESERT.

So far all I can tell is that there is just one album list and if I assign the main page of landscapes as ablum list, it just lists all the albums. I just want the page to list the 4 landscape albums. So essentially a gallery within a gallery? I read in the manual doc that maybe this is done using categories but I can't seem to get the theme to do what I want. Which seems pretty simple. Embedded galleries.

I tried to simple just add these 4 albums to landscapes under the menu customization options. Which does work, except for that when someone actually clicks on LANDSCAPES, not one of the album submenus, then it goes to the album list page. Essentially it would be nice if each album list could be assigned differently so you could have 10 album lists, for each category.

I feel like Im just missing something simple for an answer but am exhausted trying to find the solution so I ask here.

Thank you
-Steve

Comments

• AirAir
    Hello there:-)
    zenpanda said: Which seems pretty simple. Embedded galleries.
    Simple concept is not always simple code:-)
    zenpanda said: but am exhausted trying to find the solution so I ask here.
    That is right way to do it :-)
    Doing this(multiple albums lists) same way as doing one Albums list is not possible due to some wordpress limitations in creating custom post types and taxonomies.
    As I explained here http://apollo13.eu/docs/photon/#!/adding_multiple_albums_list_and_categories you first need to add your albums to categories. Next thing is that you need to organize your categories, something like on this screen shot:

Now when you link Design or WebDesign to your menu you have two separate albums lists.

But if you don't need subcategories you can just link in your menu your 4 main categories and under each album list you will see only albums that are in that category :-)

Hope it is easier to understand now.

To link Albums categories in menu you have to enable some options like shown here http://apollo13.eu/docs/photon/#!/adding_menu

With kind regards.
    ss-2015-10-12_11-40-23.png
    1137 x 634 - 37K
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 29
    Perhaps I'm retarded but I'm still trying to understand how to fit this to my needs. I dont understand how you are creating multiple album lists? I will try and be clear. and also my CAP WORDS are not yelling just trying to seperate those in text as MENU ITEMS.

This is essentially want I'm trying to do. Tell me if this is possible within the framework of your template. I dont really need to use an 'album list' feature to begin with if there is a way to achieve what I'm looking for otherwise. I essentially just want nested albums. I will try and explain this quick and simple.

On my main menu I want to have these options, like any normal website. PORTFOLIO, ABOUT ME, LANDSCAPES, PORTRAITS, EVENTS.

Now, I want a dropdown subcategory menu for LANDSCAPES as having (Ocean, Forest, Desert, snow, etc) and PORTRAITS as having (Family, Couples, Commercial, Business, etc) and EVENTS, Ditto.

I want someone to be able to goto my MAIN MENU and click on LANDSCAPES in the MENU and see those 4 Albums types(ocean, forest, desert, snow) and click to see them. OR click on PORTRAITS and see those subcategories.

Currently it seems it can be achieved 2 ways it seems.

I can make LANDSCAPES, PORTRAITS, EVENTS in the MENU either [PAGES OR ALBUMS.]

If for example I make LANDSCAPES a PAGE and set it to be ALBUM LIST it will show all albums including PORTRAITS AND EVENTS, REAL ESTATE, etc. So that doesnt work. I just want subcategories of LANDSCAPES to show.

If I make LANDSCAPES an album, that works but when people click on it, it just shows pictures within that album, and not subcategories of LANDSCAPES like an ALBUM LIST page does.

A solution would be to have LANDSCAPES page set to album list and tell it to manually exclude my PORTRAITS and EVENTS albums. Then I could create the page PORTRAITS set to be album list and exclude LANDSCAPES and EVENTS. Or if there is an easier way to achieve this Im open.

OR can I add categories to the MENU so that when you click on the menu item it goes to an album list page that presorts to the category, so for instance, on LANDSCAPES, etc show up? It appears I can only add CATEGORIES(From PAGES) and not CATEGORIES(From albums) to the menu.

Albums within albums. Or at least pages that I can tell to only show certain categories of an album list.

Post edited by zenpanda on
  • AirAir
    edited October 2015 Posts: 10,970
    zenpanda said: OR can I add categories to the MENU so that when you click on the menu item it goes to an album list page that presorts to the category, so for instance, on LANDSCAPES, etc show up? It appears I can only add CATEGORIES(From PAGES) and not CATEGORIES(From albums) to the menu.
    Yes you can, If you will read carefully again I explained that you have to activate that option in menu options,
    Air said: To link Albums categories in menu you have to enable some options like shown here http://apollo13.eu/docs/photon/#!/adding_menu

Hope this connects all informations and it is clear now :-)

With kind regards.
    ss-2015-10-26_11-54-26.png
    940 x 646 - 43K
    Post edited by Air on
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 29
    Yes I know you can make each album have a category. So that you can have 100 albums grouped into different categories, so that on the ALBUM LIST page will allow you to filter from ALL albums into whichever group you want, for instance landscape vs real estate vs portraits. The issue I'm having is that I dont want these albums to all be grouped together into one album list. I want 3 or more seperate album lists. For example (one for landscapes, one for portraits and one for real estate. )

How can that be done?

If I make all 3 pages(landscapes, portraits, real estate) on the menu to be 'Album lists' Then when clicking on the their menus they will all show identical pages. The one and only album list of all 100 albums. How can this be changed so that someone can click on each menu item and it automatically PRESORT those categories to only show (Portraits, Events, Real estate)? Is the only way of sorting albums by manually clicking on the menu of albums at the bottom of the screen? I want someone to be able to click on LANDSCAPES in the MENU of my front page, and go to a page of ALL my LANDSCAPE photos. Right now it seems they will see ALL PHOTOS and have to manually click to sort by LANDSCAPES to see only those photos. Does that make sense?

Thank you for helping me resolve this issue!
    Post edited by zenpanda on
  • AirAir
    Zenpanda - why you don't understand my answers? That is exactly what you need:-)

Once again : to have on one page albums from only one category, please link these category like explained above.

Now slowly, please:
    Check this link first: http://photon.apollo13.kinsta.com/albums/ this is albums list and you DON"T WANT that, it is clear.

Instead you want this : http://photon.apollo13.kinsta.com/genre/girls/ - page(albums list) where only albums from girls category are displayed.

Am I right? :-)
  • Yes that is exactly what I'm trying to do! Thank god ;-) Resolution is nice. OK I see the problem. I was desperately trying to add CATEGORIES from the menu system but those were only for blog entries/pages and not albums. I didnt see there is a separate ALBUM CATEGORIES that is available. Gee I kinda wish all the menu categories were enabled from the beginning i probably would have saw the difference right away. Anyway thanks so much for your help!! you rock!
  • AirAir
    Unfortunately I didn't find solution to make it enabled, from start in WordPress, so that is why we explain it in documentation :-)

Glad you did it. Have a great day!