Before you ask please READ THIS

Can you help me override the click handler on the footer switch?

edited June 2016 in Photon Posts: 51
I know this is totally not supported but thought I'd ask in case you have any ideas....

I'm not using the footer widgets so I want to change the footer switch at the bottom to an up arrow that takes you to the top of the page.

I was able to change the icon easily enough in my child theme's style.css:
.icon-switch:before{
  font-family: FontAwesome;
  content: "\f062"; /* top arrow icon */
}
Now all I want is replace it's current click handler with a function that scrolls to the top of the window (window.scrollTo(0,0);)

But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to select that icon in order to put a click handler on it. I tried using jQuery to select on #f-switch, .icon-switch, and even on #footer-msg-indicator (which I think is an Id you add in script.js), but had no luck.

I finally, in desperation, modified your script.js starting at line 1438 to replace your code inside of
else if(!footer.is('.open')){

with a function call to a javascript function I added to scroll to the top.

But this is obviously awful, I don't want to modify the parent theme's code. Do you have any ideas?

Thank you!!
Abby
Post edited by Air on

Comments

• AirAir
    Hello there:-)

Well it is hard to say why your code didn't work, maybe it was not printed in source or there was other issue, I would need to see it live. However it sounds that your approach was correct. Rewriting our function is also good, mainly if you wish to remove current action:-)

If you like put your code back live and give me a note when it is done.

With kind regards.