Before you ask please READ THIS

Jetpack plugin issue

CFPCFP
in Photon Posts: 122
If I install the jetpack plugin, the logo raises in size.

First ist normal, second is after JP.
1.jpg
1334 x 750 - 247K
2.jpg
1334 x 750 - 246K

Comments

• AirAir
    Just installing and activating jetpack it is enough to see this? I will check it, but probably in Monday.

With kind regards.
  • CFPCFP
    Yes, but not only install. That's ok. After you activate it, so that the "standard" functions from JP are enabled. Switching of JP did not solve this. I had to get a backup of my db to get rid of this.
  • AirAir
    I have tried this, but I can not confirm it. Very hard to say what exactly happened on your installation, cause such effect shouldn't be permanent after switching off plugin :-)

With kind regards.
  • CFPCFP
    edited June 2016 Posts: 122
    Take a look directly through your iPhone in landscape view!
    Post edited by CFP on
  • CFPCFP
    Do not change the size of you browser. Take a look directly through your iPhone in landscape view!
    If I change the browser size or use the size dev tools from firefox, everything looks good.

Now I see it's also on iPad even in portrait mode... :(
    Post edited by CFP on
  • CFPCFP
    And if I deactivate JP its normal.
  • AirAir
    So it only happens on phone right? What iPhone version do you own?

I am still not sure if I see it, but thanks for help!

With kind regards.
  • CFPCFP
    Not on my website. I deactivated JP. I could not leave that like it is with.
    It happens on iPhone on landscape and iPad on landscape and portrait.

I use the actual iOS release and the beta. On both devices iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2.
    Do it on your test environment and have a look.
    Post edited by CFP on
  • AirAir
    Tried this again but it just doesn't change anything for me. Maybe this only happens when particular settings are set.
    Still I have no clue why it even should stretch like that. It is frustrating not being able to reproduce it.

With kind regards.
  • CFPCFP
    Ok, I will activate JP again on my site. So please have a quick look (but through a device like e.g. iPhone or iPad), cause I do not want to let this like this ;)

http://www.friedsamphotography.com
  • CFPCFP
    So at 6 I will turn JP of. If you have time until 6 its ok.
    If would appreciate it if it helps you to determinate if it is a theme issue or if it is one from JP. I know that you have other things to do but I can't leave that on my site for such a long time.
  • AirAir
    Unfortunately I was out of office. I will contact you privately and we will try again later when we both will be available. Thanks for all effort!

With kind regards.
  • CFPCFP
    Ok, perfect!
    Hi.

I am thinking of installing JP too. Did you find what the problem was?

Regards.
  • CFPCFP
    No. No further movement from Air... sorry.
  • AirAir
    @Lalouetto - try it, cause you maybe will not face same issue.

@CFP - great timing, cause I have now free enough head to take this task on:-) I will contact you via private message in few minutes.

With kind regards.
  • AirAir
    Hello:-)

So what I have found after digging a lot today is that, when JetPack is installed, even without activated any of its modules, it will switch all images it can to retina friendly.

It does it by name matching, as they say "Scale static assets that have a name matching *-1x.png or *@1x.png".

It mean that if you uploaded in same directory logo.png and logo@2x.png it will switch to later one(when using high DPI screen, retina for example).
    However when it does for logo in our theme, then it breaks it cause we need logo in its original size(1x) cause we use different tactic to scale it(for high DPI).

Anyway, how to fix it:
    One possibility is to disable this script from JetPack by adding this https://wordpress.org/support/topic/jetpack-always-adding-scale-to-image-urls-on-retina-devices#post-5009678 snippet in functions.php

Second possibility is to log to your FTP and remove your retina logo image(logo@2x.png) and rename it to something else like logo-retina.png. Next re upload it via our theme options under new name.

This should tell Jetpack that this image doesn't have image ready to be swapped for retina, and it won't clash with our theme.

At least that is the theory, I am waiting for confirmation.
  • CFPCFP
    The snippet did it! Thanks!