Before you ask please READ THIS

video not working on ipad and mobiles

hello i have an issue with the one page video not loading on my iphone or the clients ipad.. it is fine on desktop. i have updated the theme as instructed and am trying to refresh the cache but not sure how to do this on wp.

the link: http://www.dukesbarbados.com/one-page

the client wants to launch the site asap and i need to get the mobile and ipad working correctly.

please help!

Comments

• AirAir
    Hello:-)

Yesterday you talked about totally different case, but now it makes sense.

Please tell me - does video on our demo work on your ipad? I am sure it is not.

Why is it? Cause Aplle and Android devices has blocked autoplay(so user don't lose precious bandwidth on cellular connections) of video in this devices, user must click video on such devices.

But you can not press play on this video cause it is in background. And I think Visual Composer is not displaying image instead, and it is open issue in VC right now. You can try instead to setup background image if you really need consistent look.

With kind regards.
  • oh ok, thanks for the reply back. so there is no way of showing a home page video on all devices?? the client was sold on the theme due to the video on the home page! is there a way of having a static image for the ipad and mobile?

appreciate your help as i need to launch this site today...
  • sorry as in having the video still play for desktop computers but set a static image for ipad and mobile or even just disable this feature for them??
  • is there a way of adding a placeholder for the video so that it reverts to this on mobiles/ipads etc? please show me how if this is the only way of sorting the video on mobile issue out today... sorry to be a pain...

thanks
  • AirAir
    Sanj_RC said: so there is no way of showing a home page video on all devices??
    As I explained above. There is no way to do it. Not in web pages.
    Sanj_RC said: is there a way of having a static image for the ipad and mobile?
    I will check is there any workaround I could think of, however as I said Visual Composer didn't solve it yet in right way, and I am quite disappointed about this.

Will reply here soon.
  • AirAir
    Sanj_RC said: is there a way of adding a placeholder for the video so that it reverts to this on mobiles/ipads etc?
    Problem is detection, as there is no one reliable way for this. Best will be targeting certain resolutions, but please give me time.

Have you setup background image for video on your page?

With kind regards.

• ok thank you for your help on this... frustrating as clients do not understand how much time and effort goes into setting up websites and the issues we face now and then!! he just wants his site working and online today so a lot of pressure on me right now...
  • yes the background image is set as video on home... i can set as a static image which would apply to all devices...
  • i think as it may take some time i will suggest that we use a static background image for the site to be live now until there is a suitable alternative... thanks again for your help..
  • AirAir
    edited December 2015 Posts: 10,970
    Sanj_RC said: frustrating as clients do not understand how much time and effort goes into setting up websites and the issues we face now and then!!
    Yes, it is, but this is what we, web makers, are for - to explain them that this is like house building :-) Hope it will be okay for you in the end!

OK so I prepared such code that will hide video under certain resolution. Add it to custom CSS

@media only screen and (max-width: 1024px) {
    .vc_video-bg{
    display: none!important;
    }
    }
    So with this, just setup video and background image in same row, and it will show video for resolutions above 1024px, and image for lower one. This is common way of doing this.

With kind regards.
    Post edited by Air on
  • AirAir
    Background image is important anyway, so text will be readable, while video is still loading.
  • Hi, i have added the css and have linked the youtube video back... i cannot see the video on desktop.. it does block it on my iphone however so that works thanks...
  • must be missing something... apologies for the lack of knowledge here.. i'm rushing and sure i have left something out... how do i add the video background and background image in the same row??
  • ok i have managed to add the background image to home but the video is still not coming up for desktop...
  • AirAir
    I don't see video in source code. Make sure it is added. Maybe VC removed it before saving, or you forgot to save your changes :-) Try again.
  • see screen. the video is shown in the code... still not getting it on desktop
    screen.jpg
    1000 x 541 - 318K
  • AirAir
    Haha, source of visual composer, brilliant :-)

Anyway it is still not printed in HTML source and this is most important. Do you have any cache plugins?

With kind regards.
  • not sure what that is... please point me in the right direction...
  • AirAir
    You don't know what are Wordprees plugins or something else?
  • AirAir
    To save time:

Could you please send me temporary access to your WordPress so I could check there what is going on? Send it here on forum via private message(click on my nick, in top-right corner you will find option "Message"). In message please attach LINK to topic it applies to.

By sending access to WordPress I mean:
    -create new ADMIN account with fake e-mail
    -set some password to this account
    -send me created login and password
    -sen me also link to video you wish to display there

With kind regards.
  • AirAir
    For future reference : I re entered everything and it works fine.

With kind regards.