Before you ask please READ THIS

Customise Functionality - Page not loading.

in Photon Posts: 67
Hi Air,

I have another problem. This time the Customise functionality on both Safari Version 9.1.1 (11601.6.17) and Google Chrome (Version 50.0.2661.102). It was working on Firefox 45.02 but when it automatically upgraded to 46.01 it stopped working (pure chance I saw this). Latest version of Wordpress and Photon theme are installed.

As you can see from the screen shot below, this just loops infinitely and the page never loads.

I have tried deactivating and re-activating all the plugins which does not resolve the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Alistair

www.alistairjamesbell.com/wp
Firefox 45.02 Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 14.02.35.png
2894 x 2490 - 7M
Firefox 46.01 Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 14.03.35.png
2898 x 2508 - 972K
Safari Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 11.27.48.png
2644 x 2506 - 1M

Comments

• AirAir
    edited May 2016 Posts: 10,970
    Hello :-)

And your page works normally when not customizing?

With kind regards.
    Post edited by Air on
  • AirAir
    Open JavaScript console(F 12) and send me screen shot of what you see there when problem occurs.
    Hi,

Is this what you are looking for? From Firefox.

I may have narrowed down the problem to JETPACK. If I switch this plugin off completely, the page loads.
    Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 17.07.31.png
    2908 x 2398 - 1M
    Safari gives this:
    Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 17.16.59.png
    3114 x 2728 - 2M
    And if I switch JETPACK off I get the following:
    And if I switch JETPACK off I get the following:
    Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 17.21.38.png
    3110 x 2684 - 3M
    Google Chrome gives a different result (JETPACK = deactivated)

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 17.27.26.png
    2438 x 2396 - 6M
    And finally, Google Chrome with JETPACK = active
    Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 17.30.38.png
    2442 x 2372 - 1M
  • Earlier you said that deactivating plugins don't fix that problem, and now it does?:-)
    If it is jetpack causing this then it may not be comaptible with our theme fully. Check default WordPress theme with Jetpack and see if it will give similar errors in console?

I am today away from computer, so please wait for next answers till tomorrow.

With kind regards.
    Hi Air,

I think it may have been the order in which I was deactivating. I will see what I can do to test a default WordPress theme with Jetpack but I don't have a separate environment so it may be an issue.

What seemed curious to me is that on a slightly older version of Firefox it worked but not with the latest and it used to work when in the first couple of months of using the theme. So many plugins with updates and variables... It must make your job almost impossible. :-)

Kind regards,

Alistair
  • AirAir
    Alistair said: What seemed curious to me is that on a slightly older version of Firefox it worked but not with the latest and it used to work when in the first couple of months of using the theme. So many plugins with updates and variables... It must make your job almost impossible. :-)
    I wouldn't bother with browser version case. it may be pure luck/cache or change in some plugin or in our theme that just happend to show on browser update. In such cases browser update is almost never to blame.

I will take a look in few minutes on Jetpack and customizer, but I could not have it configured same way.

With kind regards.
  • AirAir
    I have checked with Jetpack 4.0.3. Default theme and Photon theme - didn't experience any issues while loading page in customizer. No JavaScript errors.

I believe you will have to narrow it down to which addition exactly causes this.

Test on default WordPress theme, like activating it for minute and going to customizer, and then checking console, will also tell much.

With kind regards.
    OK, deactivated all and switched on the following plugins and it works as it should:

Apollo13 Photon Post Types, Contact Form 7 and Envato WordPress Toolkit.

Activated Jetpack (with all its modules deactivated) --> Customise works

It seems that it is the Extra Sidebar Widgets module within Jetpack that is causing the problem here. The screenshot shows the errors that occur when this is activated. All the other modules work OK.

I've left this module deactivated for now.

Kind regards,

Alistair
    Screen Shot 2016-05-27 at 23.37.25.png
    3612 x 2440 - 1M
  • AirAir
    I can not confirm it to be causing issues on my installation.
    I see error in your screen shot, but It doesn't appear for me. It looks like your jetpack is corrupted or something.
    Are you sure you have newest version of JetPack?

With kind regards.
    I do have the latest version of JetPack V4.0.3 - I'll try reinstalling it. And hopefully this will fix it. It is the plugin that seems to be causing both of us the most headaches. :-(
  • AirAir
    Then maybe something else is affecting behaviour of jetPack. Just in case: do you have same issue on firefox and Chrome browser?

With kind regards.
    Hi Air,

Regarding this issue, I've deleted and reinstalled JetPack and going through the same process to see if it is fixed. I'll let you know. I'll also check it again with Chrome and Firefox.

Kind regards,

Alistair
    So, I've been through again and the same issue occurs on all 3 browsers even after reinstalling JetPack.

Console messages below.

If you need access or anything, let me know.

Kind regards,

Alistair
    Safari Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 13.50.49.png
    3334 x 2442 - 3M
    Firefox Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 13.54.41.png
    3398 x 2358 - 4M
    Chrome Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 13.52.33.png
    3370 x 2646 - 6M
  • AirAir
    Yes, I think I will take a look and maybe find out why this is happening.

Could you please send me temporary access to your WordPress and FTP so I could check there what is going on? Send it here on forum via private message(click on my nick, in top-right corner you will find option "Message"). In message please attach LINK to topic it applies to.

By sending access to WordPress I mean:
    -create new ADMIN account with fake e-mail
    -set some password to this account
    -send me created login and password

With kind regards.
    Hi Air,

I've created admin account for you and will send details for login as requested.

JetPack definitely seems to be causing problems. Save & Publish seems to not work as well now with some modules of JetPack activated. Things like Omnisearch, Likes, Comments were stopping it Save and Publish with the errors in the new screenshots (Safari & Chrome - Firefox gave the same but nothing useful in the errors).
    Safari Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 14.00.40.png
    3340 x 2428 - 4M
    Chrome Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 14.05.24.png
    3366 x 2104 - 6M
  • AirAir
    You know, I have been on your site, and I didn't experience any blocking with customize functionality. I have activated "Extra Sidebar Widgets module" and it is still working fine, no errors. Can you check now if you experience same issue as before?
    I have done no changes, so if you experience issues again, then maybe this is something installed on your computer that is interfering.

I hope you understand, that if I can't recreate it(error) then I can't hunt it down. This case is taking much strength and time form you and me, and I am glad that you still have some patience for it :-)

About testing it on default theme:
    On your place I would just activate it on your main installation for minute. It would be enough to confirm if same plugins settings, but different theme, have same blocking JavaScript error in customizer.

With kind regards.
    Hi Air,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this one. And as always, your patience in trying to resolve the issue is very much appreciated.

I carried on testing here as you were unable to recreate the issue and it seems Jetpack is the definite cause of the problem. I logged a separate call with Jetpack for another issue and it seems the fix for that has resolved the fix for this too.

It looks like the issue is was my host limiting the PHP processes on the server. Having set the following php.ini parameters it all seems to be working:

memory_limit = 128M ;
    PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN=8 ;

Kindest regards.

Alistair
  • AirAir
    That is some good info. Unfortunately each case can be caused by server configuration as also by various incompatibilities between bits of software.

Thanks for shearing!

With kind regards.