Before you ask please READ THIS

Theme settings not porting to the staging site

Hi,

After setting up my theme on the localhost, when I move my site to the staging url, it breaks the theme. None of the Customizer options and Menu settings are migrated.

Can you please let me know if there is something special I need to do before migrating the site?

Thank you.

Comments

• AirAir
    Hello:-)

I would need more details what settings exactly you mean.

I think only fatmoon/user/user.css file needs to be recreated with new links - you can do it by deleting it in theme, or changing any setting in customizer and re-saving.

Please tell me does it solve your issue?

With kind regards.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 4
    Thank you for this input. I modified the links to the staging url based on your input, however the logo, bg changes do not reflect yet on the staging server.

Some more details so that you could understand my problem better
    1. On localhost, I had created the child theme of fatmoon(that came with the theme). Then made changes through the Appearance->Customize options to the logo, socials in the Menu, sticky menu option, footer text, page settings, works settings, site identity etc.
    2. On the staging server, I copied the WordPress folders and files from localhost, recreated the DB through phymyadmin export and import, changed the permalinks after logging in. This however has not reflected the changes I had made in the Appearance->Customize options. The Menu is reset to the original theme menu. Nothing shows up in the footer. User.css changes are done now with your timely input, still no luck.
    3. I tried the Customizer Export/Import Plugin too, but has not helped.

Unfortunately, I would not be able to share the staging URL, else you could have had a look at the options.

Do let me know if there is something else I can try. Are there any other files that you store the settings in and are not getting imported due to my manual migration steps?
    Post edited by mahindrapai on
  • Hi Air,

Is it possible that the redux-fallback.php is being invoked due to some setting problem?
  • Update from my end on this with the following workaround for now.
    1. On the source site (localhost OR any other URL), make some other theme as Active (e.g. Twenty Seventeen).
    2. Export your DB from source and import into the destination (I use phpmyadmin).
    3. Use the developer tool to handle the URL change and the serialization portions seamlessly. Tool: https://interconnectit.com/products/search-and-replace-for-wordpress-databases/.
    4. Login to your WP dashboard on the destination URL. Switch the theme to fatmoon OR the fatmoon child.

Air,
    What I noticed is that the apollo13_options table entry was not getting updated properly when I was porting with the fatmoon or its child as active. Is there something you can include in your theme update to handle this porting better OR let me know if there is something incorrect I am doing in my porting?

• AirAir
    mahindrapai said:
    Is it possible that the redux-fallback.php is being invoked due to some setting problem?
    Yes, this is possible.
    Your description of moving installation tells me that problem can be there.
    Redux settings(theme options) can get corrupted when moving.
    However when moving website as described here https://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress no one ever complained ;-)

If only theme settings are missing, then there is one more way to import/export those settings.

First enable Redux panel:
    Go to fatmoon/advance/theme-options.php ~108 and change:
    'customizer_only' => !apollo13framework_is_home_server(),
    to:
    'customizer_only' => false,

Next you will see in admin bar new thing: Theme custom options. Choose Import/Export from it

There You can Export options, and import it on other installation.

Hope that helps.

With kind regards.
    screenshot-rifetheme.com-2017-11-20-11-06-10.png
    535 x 341 - 24K
    screenshot-rifetheme.com-2017-11-20-11-09-10.png
    778 x 202 - 30K