Before you ask please READ THIS

Icons on footer

Hi,

I have set some icons on my footer using for example

i class="icon-telephone-of-black-vintage-design"

They work ok on my computer but on my phone they do not show. I have seen that you use font awesome on your demo but they don't have that vintage telephone icon I am using (but they work on mobile). Is there a way to fix it so it works everywhere?

Thanks.

Comments

• AirAir
    Hello :-)

Well if you will show me link to your site then I can check it.

With kind regards.
  • Ok I have something similar to when the icon that opens footer mysterioulsy changed:

When there is any icon on that page, the icons of the footer are shown:

https://www.elimaginario.es/

When there is no icon on the page, the icons on the footer disappear as well:

https://www.elimaginario.es/tarifas/

Any idea?

Regards
  • AirAir
    Well it depends how you have added this icons? Maybe by some plugin, or you are exploiting VC icons? If yes, then VC won't add script for icons if they are not used in content.

With kind regards.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 91
    Nope, I don't use VC. Only icon class:

i class="icon-telephone-of-black-vintage-design" /i

Only an icon before the text. I am not using awesome font as your demo, but icons from icomoon. Icomoon is managed by Thrive content builder so maybe something similar to VC... nothing to be done? (I wouldn't like to put a hidden microscopic icon somewhere XD )
    Post edited by Lalouetto on
  • AirAir
    Then probably it works the same- they embed icons when needed.
    Lalouetto said: nothing to be done?
    Not on my end. Ask plugin author what you should add in functions.php, so you could use icons from his plugin in page layout.

With kind regards.
  • Hi,

They have told me that I have to add icomoon css to the theme or to every page. It surely must be an easy thing but I still need some help, please.

Thanks.
  • AirAir
    So why didn't you ask them to give you code that you need, but you are asking me instead ? :-) It is icons from their plugin after all :-)

With kind regards.
  • But you said you use icomoon as well, didn't you?

In fact I have not asked you the code but how to add icomoon css to every page or to the theme. Read me.

Anyway... if you don't mind, please tell me exactly what I have to ask them and I will pinpong again. It looked like icomoon css is not something propietary of them but just tell me and I will ask.

With kind regards.

• AirAir
    Lalouetto said: But you said you use icomoon as well, didn't you?
    We use different subset of those icons, that doesn't have icons you choose to use on your footer. So
    Lalouetto said: In fact I have not asked you the code but how to add icomoon css to every page or to the theme. Read me.
    Lalouetto said: I have to add icomoon css to the theme or to every page. It surely must be an easy thing but I still need some help, please.
    Yeah, right ;-) You have to add some code that will embed their version of iconmoon on every page. That will solve your issue with your idea.

With kind regards.
  • Hello Air,

Well, first of all, I am not sure that support from Thrive Content Builder is as good as it should. Let me quote here what last technician told me:

"Sorry for the back and forth and not clarifying from the start, but icomoon icons were only designed to be used with Thrive Content Builder, that is, in the content area since TCB can’t control what’s displayed in the widget. Loading the styles means that TCB needs to load at least one element with that style, and that can only happen when you add the element from the editor.

I tried to check how those icons were added (I’m guessing it’s a theme feature that also uses icomoon and it conflicts with TCB?), but it looks like viewing the source code and inspecting elements is not allowed."

Ok so although I am not a coder, I suspect that it has to be possible to load a style without loading at least one element of that style. Please could you confirm?

Anyway. They are telling me that I cannot use a icomoon icon on footer unless I use one on content and that sounds so weird to me. Code is code and we can do what we want with it, I want to think.

Also even if right click is disabled, I think source code can be seen in some other ways and this whole answer is so strange...

Best regards.
  • AirAir
    Yeah, not too helpful support from their site.

I can't find this Thrive content builder to download, can you help me with that? Then I could get you code that you need.

From them you should get something similar to this:
    wp_enqueue_style( 'icomoon', A13FRAMEWORK_TPL_CSS.'/icomoon.css', false, A13FRAMEWORK_THEME_VER);
    and they should tell you that you will have to add this in functions.php

However there is possibility that they generate this CSS file depending on what is used in content form builder(I am just guessing), and they would be right about not being able to give you code.

With kind regards.
    Hi,

They are here: https://thrivethemes.com .

I'm afraid they do not have a free plugin (their products are more interesting and complete than Visual Composer in my opinion. Maybe you should take an eye).

Ok I am trying to translate your post to something to ask on their forum. Anyway maybe I can search for any code somewhere on my site or give you temporary access?

Let's wait for their answer.

Thank you.
  • AirAir
    Could you please send me temporary access to your WordPress and FTP so I could check there what is going on? Send it here on forum via private message(click on my nick, in top-right corner you will find option "Message"). In message please attach LINK to topic it applies to.

By sending access to WordPress I mean:
    -create new ADMIN account with fake e-mail
    -set some password to this account
    -send me created login and password
  • AirAir
    Lalouetto said: (their products are more interesting and complete than Visual Composer in my opinion. Maybe you should take an eye).
    Support is sometimes more valuable then complete product. Extension is even more. Anyway their plugin doesn't have license that we need (business one) so no need for me to taking a look;-) as we can't use it bundled in themes.

With kind regards.
    Ok so new answer from same guy:

"yes, the style is only loaded when an icon is added from the editor, we try not to load resources that aren’t used.

While workarounds to this are not supported, you can try to load the .css file elsewhere too. You could add
    <link rel='stylesheet' id='thrive_icon_pack-css' href='//domain.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/icomoon/style.css?ver=2.87' type='text/css' media='all' /> 
    to the head section of your theme,
    The exact path where this file is located depends on your specific setup for the uploads folder, but technically this should work."

So it looks something could be done after all...

I am preparing some admin acount for that other thread about social icons when I have some time. By now maybe I just need to now the exact code and where to put this?

Regards
  • AirAir
    edited September 2016 Posts: 10,970
    Lalouetto said:
    While workarounds to this are not supported, you can try to load the .css file elsewhere too. You could add
    &lt;link rel='stylesheet' id='thrive_icon_pack-css' href='//domain.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/icomoon/style.css?ver=2.87' type='text/css' media='all' /&gt; 
    to the head section of your theme,
    Lalouetto said: By now maybe I just need to now the exact code and where to put this?
    I don't know who supports you but he doesn't know much about how wordpress works and this not how styles are added to wordpress theme.

But whatever. Go to header.php and add it under line ~11
    <head>
    With kind regards.
    Post edited by Air on
    mm if that is not how styles are added, how should I add them instead?

The support is Thrive's support. Lots of guys attending. I bet some better than others.

Regards.

P.S. On the profile of that particular teh guy he says: "I've been working with Wordpress since 2008, now I'm here to help Thrive users as much as I can :)"
  • AirAir
    Lalouetto said: mm if that is not how styles are added, how should I add them instead?
    Sorry mate but I am not here to give you WordPress lessons ;-) Btw. I showed you this few posts above http://support.apollo13.eu/discussion/comment/17589/#Comment_17589

Have you achieved what you needed?

• Air, you cannot be more wrong. What I want is not learning Wordpress. What I want in fact is wasting as little time with Wordpress as I can so I can dedicate to my real work (not Wordpress). And what I know is that when there is a convention, for example in coding, and you do not follow the convention, it can bring problems in future (I am guessing that the code from that guy works but I do not know)

So I have no idea if the code that guy gave me is going to bring me problems or not but I know that you know that code is not stylistically (at least?) correct. With this last site I am building with your products (the 3rd license I buy) I already had to waste some hours guessing how to change the color of a preloader (a preloader included in your theme) because you didn't want to support me (in fact you told me it could not be done easily, what I had to waste my time to realize that was not true).

So now we can do two things: you translate the code of that guy to the correct version so I can follow conventional wordpress coding or I just use his version and feel unhappy with this. Possibly I could waste some more hours trying to understand that code you gave me before and inserting the information the other support gave me on that format but I am not repeating what I did with the preloader. I supposed you understood that not helping a client is not a good idea. I like your products and was getting a friend to buy a new license and possibly another one from another friend but if I am not wrong, support is part of your license and I am not asking for anything not included in your theme. Don't you think that I want Wordpress classes. What I want is solutions. Do what you feel happy with but do not criticize other companies support if you are going to give me this one.

No lessons, solutions.

With kind regards
  • AirAir
    Lalouetto said: I already had to waste some hours guessing how to change the color of a preloader (a preloader included in your theme) because you didn't want to support me (in fact you told me it could not be done easily, what I had to waste my time to realize that was not true)
    If I would know your level of knowledge then reply would be different. Anyway, bringing this old case here? What for? I am here to help you not to feel guilty that I couldn't find proper words to explain complexity of modification that you ask for. Really:-)

Rest of your post:
    I am getting feeling that after your 65 posts you feel like you are not supported well enough here. That is sad for me, but I won't let it impact my quality of replies.

Anyway I will be as clear as possible:
    First http://support.apollo13.eu/discussion/12/before-you-ask-read-this-#support_not_includes
    After knowing what is in above link, lets relate it to current topic:

You have added icons from some 3rd party plugin. I don't know that plugin and I don't have access to it so I have send you to them so they will give you simple solution based on their code. They didn't do it properly, what I told you clear(you pay for this plugin, right?). I also asked you for access to FTP so I could inspect their code and see if I can propose you better solution. You didn't gave me it, and now you are making me feel guilty for not giving you support that you should receive from other company?
    I don't know if this was your intention but this is how I read this situation.

Now lets END THIS TOTAL OFFTOPIC.
    I can't give you better solution until I see their code, cause maybe they use this icon font in such way, that there was none better code then this guy gave you. So I need either copy of their plugin or access to your FTP to dig out better solution for you.

With kind regards.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 91
    Hello Air,

Well, about that preloader, I only was asking for the name of the file, so my knowledge or not was out of question. Two minutes became several hours.

About those rules, well, you say it is their icons, they say it is your footer and the house unswept (spanish saying) and I am a client of both of you (and a happy client of your products; just convinced my friend yesterday to buy the fourth license from me of one of your themes (Photon)).

Anyway that is not the thing anymore, but reading after pingponging there and here that you are not here to give me lessons. That is not the way, Air and as I explained, lessons are not what I want.

About my problem, I thank you as always for your help and inform you that that ugly code from that guy worked and I don't want to make it pretty. Do not worry about that code anymore. However I wonder what will happen when I upgrade your theme, as I have edited header.php on the main and not child theme. My question is what do I have to do to make that change permanent.

Regards
  • AirAir
    Hi there Lalouetto:-)

I suppose that we rather won't be doing changes in that file, so you can just copy this file(header.php) to child theme, and forget about it :-) Of course you have to activate child theme, to make it work.

If something will happen in far future you can always revisit us, but lets hope WordPress won't make such drastic changes ;-)

With kind regards.

PS. Thanks for using our themes to such extent!