Before you ask please READ THIS

Website homepage takes a long time to load

in Photon Posts: 36
Hi,

I have used the theme successfully but it takes quite a while for the website to load. I have tried disabling plugins etc but not sure what is causing it. Are you able to advise please ?

www.varmode.com

Comments

• AirAir
    Hey.

I have just checked o FireFox and Chrome and it loads fine for me, 4-5s. Please check when you are not logged into WordPress.

Maybe there is some server lag on first request?

With kind regards.
    OK, thanks I just felt it takes a while to load and kick start but will take your word on it.
    Hey, I rechecked this and it def takes upto 10-15 seconds to load initially. After that it is fine - can you take another look please. Perhaps use IE and Safari also - it has the loading page and then loads after a while
  • AirAir
    I have checked fresh load on IE 11 & Edge and it took 5.5-7 seconds to fully load. Didn't notice anything blocking beside, that you are missing preloader image and it returns 404 error(you can remove image in preloader settings as it points to our old server).

Hard to say what you are experiencing. There are so many things that can extend loading times.

Try opening new tab, best in incognito/private mode and hit F 12 to open developer tools. Switch to "Network" tab, and then enter address of your site in address bar and start loading it. You will be able to see exact times of loading things.

With kind regards.
    Hey, the site def takes a while to load up when using any browser. I done a speed test on https://tools.pingdom.com and it shows its slow too. Not sure what it is causing it ?

Thanks for looking into it.
    FYI It takes over 30secs to load in the above test.
  • AirAir
    https://tools.pingdom.com/#!/NBsPI/www.varmode.com you can see in results that 32 seconds of this time was server wait. So this means that servers is highly lagging.

I don't say Photon is super duper fast theme, but in this case is something with your hosting.

It can be also that server is processing something for 30 seconds, maybe some plugin got stuck, and it is blocking site delivery for 30 seconds?

More can only say hosting company at this point, or manual debugging on your server.

With kind regards.

Edit:
    Now I see you have on your front-page single album with 276 photos. That is a lot!
    Maybe preparing all those photos takes so long. As an experiment I would switch to an album that has like 20 photos, and check how it behaves for few days. But this is just guessing, cause lazy load is working fine.
    Hi,

I got in touch with my hosting company who did a few changes but the site is still taking upto 30 seconds to load. I have changed it so the blog page loads as first page and not gallery but still occuring delays. Is it possible for you to login and check for me please.

Thanks.
  • AirAir
    Hey there.

It is not something easy to debug as delay occurs before the server sends the first byte. So it could take me hours to debug and I am not server expert.

It is something out of theme support range, that, by the way, expired almost year ago.

I have heard about such mysterious delays, and for some guys, it was some glitch with an overloaded database or similar topics.

Try deactivating all plugins that you have, and leave it as that for few hours and check again.

If you say it was good before, then it would have to be some change that happened lately, like plugin, server change, some update.

With kind regards.
    Ok, thanks for helping. I have turned off all plugins and it has helped quite a bit (still a little slow 6-7secs to load but this is fine).

Can you just confirm which plugins are neccessary for this theme to work and I will just enable those.

Thanks.
  • AirAir
    Good to hear!

Theme only needs Apollo13 Photon Post Types for albums to work proper. For contact form you may need Contact Form 7.

With kind regards.