Before you ask please READ THIS

Blank screen when activating apollo13 framework extension

in OneLander Posts: 13
I get a blank screen when activating the apollo13 framework extension. PHP version not an issue. Neither memory limit or permissions.

errorlog attached. Please advice.

Comments

Can you provide the plugin as a zip so I can try to manually uploading it to plugins folder?
  • AirAir
    Hey :-)

It seems it could be conflict with some plugin or WordPress configuration. I suspect issue is with a plugin that has slug "ssh-sftp-updater-support".

The manual upload will not help, but plugin is available here https://wordpress.org/plugins/apollo13-framework-extensions/

With kind regards.
    Thanks. I disabled the ssh plugin and uploaded the framework extension manually by ftp and activated it. So far so good.

But on activation I get the following error message:

Creating /var/www/62finland/wp-content/uploads/apollo13_framework_files/css/user.css file requires access to your FTP account. It is caused by the way your server is configured. This file is required so changes done in theme settings can take effect.

Now, I am quite familiar with permissions in WP and have set all necessary folders so that they are writeable, this didn't help. I have also asked my hosting provider for advise but nothing in their settings should prevent this according to them.

Please advise.
  • AirAir
    Hello :-)

This is not caused by permissions but by a method that WordPress can access files.

I believe that since this file is now created in "uploads" directory(in past it was created in theme directory) maybe this check isn't needed anymore, as uploads directory is usually writable to WordPress fully.

Would you mind sharing with me temporary access to FTP and WordPress admin? I will only be able to debug this on the server that is configured like yours.

Could you please send me temporary access to your WordPress and FTP so I could check there what is going on? Send it here on the forum via private message(click on my nick, in top-right corner you will find option "Message"). In message please add LINK to topic it applies to.

By sending access to WordPress I mean:
    -create a new ADMIN account with a fake e-mail
    -set some password to this account
    -send me created login and password

With kind regards.
  • AirAir

Big big big thanks for letting me work on your installation on this.

It took me 2 hours but I have solved this and now saving works fine, plus I could fix some issues with displaying this FTP creds form.

It will be fixed for other users in the next version of Apollo13 Framework Extensions plugin.

With kind regards.
    Hey!

Super!! Thanks very much!

Btw what was the problem?

• AirAir
    It was code problem when checking is it possible to write to file from WordPress. The check was very general, for the whole wp-content, and your server doesn't allow to write there easily.

However, after I have changed the question to only folder that theme creates, then everything started to work.

With kind regards.
    Cool! Is there anything my hosting provider could have done or can do in future similar situations to make it easier to write to the server? Generally speaking, if I may ask.
  • AirAir
    I don't have such knowledge to help here :-)
    For sure your server is not configured in "Standard" way, but this is my job, to make the theme that will work on most server configurations.

With kind regards.
    Thanks man! Your theme is absolutely beautiful and I am looking forward to working with it.

I was going to import one of the demo designs (Demo no.1) and all is good but I get error that Importer can't access file system, even though I set the folders to be writable?
  • AirAir
    Can I view it on account that you shared with me before?
    Maybe some other places need tweaking for precise directory checking.

With kind regards.
    Please do, i tried to add ftp details to wp-config but that did not solve it. Might be some conflict.
  • AirAir

Please try your import now. I have corrected check blocking import. I think it was last place that could block you in your work, at least in a matter of "file system method".

Thanks again for your help.

Fixes for everyone will come with the next update.

With kind regards.
    Hey man! SuperI I got the data imported and I am working on the site as we speak. I really appreciate your help!

I noticed that when I try to turn off the sidebar menu in wordpress I get message Update failed. I can't save updates to pages anymore.

Is this something related to the other stuff that has been troubling me?

Screenshot attached.

Skärmavbild 2019-01-20 kl. 17.05.09.png
    3280 x 2292 - 526K
    Another strange thing I noticed was that there is no option in the Screen Options drop down on menus for me to activate the One Page menu option. Please see screenshot.
    Skärmavbild 2019-01-20 kl. 19.48.07.png
    3092 x 2228 - 557K
  • AirAir
    Hey there :-)
    dlof said: Is this something related to the other stuff that has been troubling me?
    You could verify this by switching theme to default one, and checking if then you will be able to save this. In my opinion, this is not related to previous issues.

dlof said: I noticed was that there is no option in the Screen Options drop down on menus for me to activate the One Page menu option
    Why there should be such? Maybe I am missing something? Please see https://rifetheme.com/apollo13-framework/docs/content-management/creating-one-page/

Please also create new topics for issues unrelated to main case of this topic. Thanks :-)

With kind regards.
    You could verify this by switching theme to default one, and checking if then you will be able to save this. In my opinion, this is not related to previous issues.
    This might be true, sorry the bug was causing some weird issues so I wasn't sure what was related or not.
    Why there should be such? Maybe I am missing something? Please see
    Actually this was the information given in the Documentation for the theme that came with the theme package. But no worries, I got it sorted via the info in the link you provided me.
    Btw I have purchased one more license and have installed the theme in the folder 62fox on the same server, this points to www.62fox.com.

I basically copied the theme folder and the plugins folder from the 62finland project and all seem to work fine except for one thing. When I am customizing the theme, for example changing the logo, the change is visible in the customizer, and I can save it, but for some reason it is not visible on front end website. I've of course emptied cache etc. Did I forget to transfer any of the files you updated?

• AirAir

I don't think you have missed anything.

Maybe there is https issue - it happens when there is error in website configuration, and theme tries to serve settings file via http while site is redirected to https. Then browser blocks "settings CSS file" and you don't see any changes.

You can check if that is the issue by following this answer https://support.apollo13.eu/discussion/comment/23120/#Comment_23120

With kind regards.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 13
    Thanks, I don't think that was the issue. However I gave it a try but it broke the wp-admin page.

The new site is on the same server as the one that you worked on to adress the bugs earlier so in theory it should work as the site is only in a different folder on the site (62fox).

*Removed* - This is a public visible forum, you know:-)

Kind regards,

Daniel
    Post edited by Air on