Before you ask please READ THIS

Different ways to show albums depending on device type

in Rife Posts: 52
My current theme allows me to show my photos one way on desktop, but another way on smartphones. I love this feature and would love to be able to do the same with Rife too.

Check how my old/current site is - on desktop and then with smartphone: https://www.zafariqbal.dk/gallery/louise-kennet/

With Rife, I might want to use slider on desktop, but bricks on smartphones.

Comments

• AirAir
    Hey Zafar:-)

I have checked your website, and it was a slider on mobile and on the desktop. Maybe you have changed something?

As for changing it for Rife theme - it would be a huge rebuild as it was never intended to mix types of galleries between screen sizes.

We are more planning to add more options to slider and scroller to choose different key options for smaller screen devices. Scroller already has some but we need to extend it probably.

Thanks for your suggestion! It always helps to imagine new things :-)

With kind regards.
  • Hi Air,

Thanks for your quick replies.

Sadly, I didn't pay attention to how my site was on smartphones for a very long time. I prioritized desktop and learned very late, how important smartphones are.

That's when I started noticing some serious issues with my current theme, which btw. is now old and no longer developed. One of the issues is the thing you just experienced.

How galleries are shown on smartphones does not always work. Apparently, it can look fine on my phone but still not work for others - I wasn't aware of that till now :( Which phone did you try with, btw? Just out of curiosity.

I've forced a gallery update and hopefully you can see it now: https://www.zafariqbal.dk/gallery/louise-kennet/

It is supposed to look close to how 1 column bricks are with Rife.

Anyhow, I was hoping it would be doable and fully understand, if the task is too complicated.
  • AirAir
    Hey again :-)
    Zafar_Iqbal said: Which phone did you try with, btw? Just out of curiosity.
    It was Sony Xperia XZ, but I have checked on narrowed browser window, as it usually gives the same effect.
    Zafar_Iqbal said: I've forced a gallery update and hopefully you can see it now: https://www.zafariqbal.dk/gallery/louise-kennet/
    Still slider for me even in private mode. Maybe you have some cache plugin active?
    Zafar_Iqbal said: Anyhow, I was hoping it would be doable and fully understand, if the task is too complicated.
    Like I have said it is a cool idea in general, but we will not go this way on the current stage of the theme.

Thanks once again for letting us know about your needs!

With kind regards.
  • Hi Air,

The theme I'm currently using is very old and when I first got it, I didn't pay much attention to how it worked on smartphones. In fact, I mostly ignored/rarely checked on smartphones, for 2-3, maybe even 4 years :blush:

I updated the galley the other day and it worked on my phone when I left home. I then met with a friend and checked on his phone, where it didn't work. When I wanted to show how it's supposed to look, on my phone, it frekin didn't work on my phone as well. Super weird and it's not a global thing for all galleries, and some might work and some wont, but some might show the pages in a third way.

I've disabled my caching plugin and hopefully you can see it working now. When I check on Desktop browser using responsive view, it wont work there. I've attached a screenshot from my phone, which shows how it is supposed to look.
    Screenshot_20190408_160520_com.android.chrome.jpg
    1080 x 2160 - 968K
  • AirAir
    Hey :-)

Yes, this time I could see it on my phone.
    However, I wonder why desktop user can have access to 1-3 image at once, while the mobile user has access to all photos :-)

Isn't it like serving different data depending on device type ;-)

Thanks for showing this!

With kind regards.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 52
    Curious, because this time I couldn't get it to work on my phone so I gave up after trying for a while :blush:

The theme has two huge issues, but I only see them on phone, so yeah - it very well might be serving different data depending on device. The other major problem it has, is a problem I also discovered late and by myself since no one can tell if anything is actually wrong. Sometimes (often) it doesn't load all photos on smartphones in the galleries. That's when I started to look for something new, but it took a while and then I found Rife - and I'm very happy i did!
    Post edited by Zafar_Iqbal on