Before you ask please READ THIS

404 on Sitemap

in Rife Posts: 6
My websites sitemap is throwing a 404 error. Anyone have experience with this issue?

Comments

• AirAir
    Hello :-)

It looks like there is some redirect that changes sitemap.xml to sitemap_index.xml

What are you using to create the sitemap?

With kind regards.
    I am using a plugin called squirrely SEO, it's the plugin I use on all of my sites and I've never ran into this issue. Any ideas on how to resolve this?
  • AirAir
    Hello :-)

Unfortunately, no idea why could it happen.

I would start debugging this by switching off this plugin and checking if redirect will still happen.

If yes, try to disable all other plugins, and check again if redirect will happen.

Switching the theme shouldn't have any effect, as the theme doesn't do anything regarding the sitemap.

If redirect will still happen with all the above tests, then this redirect has to happen on the server level.

What do I mean by checking if redirect happens?
    Check if after entering address https://stoneydigital.com/sitemap.xml you end up at https://stoneydigital.com/sitemap_index.xml

Bas news is, that "redirects" can be cached in the browser, so the best would be to test it in the private mode, which is started again with each test.

With kind regards.
    I've completed all of the tests by deactivating plugins that aren't theme related, I've cleared the cache each time, and test both sitemap links in a private browser. I'm still getting the same error, 404.

If it's happening at the server level, how can that be fixed?
  • AirAir
    Hey :-)
    virgils said: If it's happening at the server level, how can that be fixed?
    It would be best to contact hosting provider and ask about it, if they can find anything.

If you like, before that, I can take a look at this.

If you like me to do it please send me temporary* access to your WordPress so I could check there what is going on. Send it here on the forum via private message(click on my nick, in top-right corner you will find option "Message"). In message please add LINK to topic it applies to.

By sending access to WordPress I mean:
    -create a new ADMIN account with a fake e-mail
    -set some password to this account
    -send me created login and password

*temporary - please delete this account after I am done, for your safety!
    I just sent you a message. Thank you.
  • AirAir
    edited August 2021 Posts: 10,970
    Hey :-)

I have checked your website, but I couldn't find anything that would explain why this redirect happen. For me this redirect is happening on the server level so you should contact your hosting company.

However, there are one last thing: you have 2 plugins that can not be disabled, one is in the "Must use" category named "EasyWP Plugin" and second in the "Drop-in".

I wonder if this redirect may come from one of them. However, hsoting provide should be a help here :-)

With kind regards.
    Post edited by Air on