Before you ask please READ THIS

Setting to not enlarge images, only reduce them, when fitting to slider

edited January 2013 in Hypershot Posts: 23
Hi,

I size my images to be 800px on the longest edge (for both portrait and landscape images).

The slider has three options: Fit Always, Fit Landscape, Fit Portrait.

Is it possible to set the slider so that it will 'Fit Always' for any images larger than the screen / browser dimensions, and to not do anything to the images if it is smaller than the screen / browser dimensions (just centre them).

This would make this theme PERFECT because photographers never want to have images enlarged as they become pixelated. As my images are smaller than the screen (only 800px) to save bandwidth and load times, they become enlarged by the slider and become pixelated and blurry.

If you could provide a fix for this, or tell me how to go about it, this theme would be perfect.

Thanks

Comments

• AirAir
    Hello dear user!
    JackieR0 said: This would make this theme PERFECT
    You are not first who advice us what would make this theme perfect ;-) but...
    JackieR0 said: As my images are smaller than the screen (only 800px) to save bandwidth
    ... you are first photographer who bought this theme and worry about transfer times for your viewers and insert small images. I am impressed :-) Everyone(who complained) till now put even 3 MB file photos and then blamed our theme is slow and sometimes wanted to use other theme cause of that ;-)

But back to the topic. I don't know if it will be easy to achieve this, but I will be doing in two days very small update to theme so I will look about it, and if nothings goes wrong then we will add other option like Fit if needed ;-)

With regards.
  • Air said: You are not first who advice us what would make this theme perfect ;-) but...
    Haha - yeah, I could see that happening. MAybe it will just fix a big stumbling block I am having :)
    Air said: ... you are first photographer who bought this theme and worry about transfer times for your viewers and insert small images. I am impressed :-) Everyone(who complained) till now put even 3 MB file photos and then blamed our theme is slow and sometimes wanted to use other theme cause of that ;-)
    That is a real shame. For any other photographers that might read this post, there are two very important reasons to keep the images a reasonable size:

1) Loading time. The last thing you want when an agent or client is viewing your portfolio is for them to have to wait more than a split second for an image to load. With a 3MB image and even a reasonable connection speed these people will quickly move on and find another photographer for the job (especially if you have a number of images in your portfolio).

2) Discourage theft of your images. An 800px image will print at 300dpi on a 4x6 but no larger. This makes it more difficult for anyone to use your images without permission or payment. If you provide a 3MB image, you are asking for your work to be stolen. This happens ALL THE TIME.
    Air said: But back to the topic. I don't know if it will be easy to achieve this, but I will be doing in two days very small update to theme so I will look about it, and if nothings goes wrong then we will add other option like Fit if needed ;-)
    Thank you so much for agreeing to add this 'feature'. It really will add an important function to this theme and allow myself (and other photographers) to upload appropriately sized files and have them presented in the way in which we intended.

Thanks again.
  • AirAir
    Thanks so much for such detailed description :-) I will redirect here everyone who will "do it wrong" :-)

Update is waiting for approve on ThemeForest. You will receive info in your WP admin in few hours.

How to update http://apollo13.eu/docs/hypershot/#!/installation_update_update_theme

With regards.
  • Thank you so much for making this change to the theme. It really is a fantastic offering for photographers now. I am very happy indeed.

Keep up the fantastic work!
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 23
    Air - not sure if you will be alerted to a message on this existing thread but will try here first.

There is, unfortunately, a little problem with the new 'Fit if needed' setting.

It works perfectly when viewing an actual album, for example - www.example.com/album/example

However, on smaller screens when an album is set to show on the homepage (for example - www.example.com) it no longer reduces the images and centres them. Parts of the images are cut off if the image is too large.

So it works great when viewing an actual album page, but when the album page is set to be the homepage on smaller screns like a 13 inch Macbook, the resizing behaviour no longer works correctly.

Thanks for looking into this.
    Post edited by JackieR0 on
  • AirAir
    Hello :-)

I just set my album as home page and it works good. Tested it for a while and I don't see any issue. Maybe you should enable option Fit Album: Fully Visible. If this is not a case then please post screen shot of issue and live link.

With regards.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 23
    Hi,

Thanks for checking. I have it set as Fit Album: Fully Visible.

On a large screen it works fine. On my 13" Macbook it doesn't look right.

Thanks.

Screen shot 2013-01-26 at 7.48.14 PM.png
    1280 x 800 - 540K
    Post edited by JackieR0 on
  • AirAir
    JackieR0 said:
    Thanks for checking. I have it set as Fit Album: Fully Visible.
    I doesn't look like it is using Fit Album: Fully Visible more like Fit Album: Full screen. There is either some bug(checked again on my server and it works great) or you use some caching plugin :-) If this is not case, then please send me temporary access to your WP so I could check there what is going on? Send it here on forum via private message .

With regards.

• Do you have access to a Macbook 13" or equivalent? Perhaps it is a bug that only affects some machines and not others as this looks perfect on my Windows 8 Desktop with Firefox / Chrome e.t.c. and a 24 inch screen.

It is bizarre as it looks great on my desktop but there is a problem when viewed on my Laptop. I wonder if it is just my Laptop and settings or it is actually a bug?

Anyways, I will shoot you over some log-in details in PM and you can take a look.

Cheers
  • AirAir
    It is not bizarre at all, as if you resize your browser you will have same issue.
    ---
    Logged in, saw "Wordpress SEO plugin" and I thought: "again that stupid plugin that breaks front page behaviour".
    I deactivated it for second and it started to work(test your self).

After release of wordpress 3.5, this plugin + our theme + front page started giving strange issues and I have once fixed it for certain things, but now I see I will have to dig deeper to understand what this plugin mess up, and I am not very happy with this task. However, there won't be fix for this from my site in near future, so it is up to you to decide what to do with this till that time(update) come.

With kindly regards.
  • Thanks so much for such a fast response.

Ah, so it is Wordpress SEO that is the culprit. I am not wedded to that plugin so I will remove it and find something else.

Any recommendations for another SEO plugin that works well with the theme?

Thanks
  • AirAir
    Never used such plugins, as I know that for search engines most important is content, so without it any plugin won't help you. On your place I would focus on filling your pages with data :-) Your 'About' page for example, you can also fill 'Info above header' area with crucial info.

So I won't advise any plugin to you :-)
    JackieR0 said: Thanks so much for such a fast response.
    Just happened to be around ;-)

With regards.
  • Have only just got the site up - will of course be adding more content. I will try out a few plugins and see how it goes.

Thanks again for all your help.
  • AirAir
    Founded fix for SEO plugin problem. Here is answer http://support.apollo13.eu/discussion/comment/3624#Comment_3624

With regards.