Before you ask please READ THIS

lazy load

edited December 2012 in Hypershot Posts: 3
Lazy load not working on my chrome Version 23.0.1271.97 m. Album on brick lazy load gets stuck and doesn't load all items, even if you scroll down.

How can I disable the lazy load, and have it all items just load at once not individual. Worked fine before update.

Less important, on iPad 2 IOS 6, show-reel once playing doesn't allow me to hit any menu to switch pages.

Comments

• AirAir
    Hello,

I have just checked on Safari, Chrome and Mercury browsers, and everything loads after scrolling perfectly. I understand you tested on iPad 2 IOS 6. Have you tried other browsers as well?

Before release I have tested it on many devices and emulators. Also I highly discourage to deactivate as I saw how long can take preload of 8 photos on NOT wifi connection, and users will rather think that something broke.

But if your content really isn't available I will need to add option to also load more content manually by clicking some button, not only by scroll event, so it will be more bulletproof.

To deactivate lazy load in album you will need switch to uncompressed scripts http://apollo13.eu/docs/hypershot/#!/advance_menu_use_compressed_js_amp_css
    and then go to js/uncompressed/script.js line ~1584 and change
    var min = 2, to some high number for example var min = 1000,
    For Albums list bricks value to change is in line ~1378
    taminoman said: Less important, on iPad 2 IOS 6, show-reel once playing doesn't allow me to hit any menu to switch pages.
    Maybe there is some JavaScript error. On my iPad with IOS 6 this http://themes.apollo13.eu/hypershot/album/showreel/ works fine and menu is available.

With regards.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 3
    Thank you for the reply.

Yes I rather not disable it, I like the feature but it doesn't seem to be working correctly for me.

Maybe it is because I have too many images - n9productions.com/web
    (im working on this now so dependaing when you look at it it may be 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 with lazy load or 1.0.2 without.

So better lets use bellow as the example:
    http://themeforest.net/item/hypershot-photography-portfolio-wordpress-theme/full_screen_preview/3391790

Lets say I click on gallery - 6 Images load fast.
    Then it stops loading - NOTHING HAPPENS
    I scroll DOWN - 2 Images load fast
    I scroll down - NOTHING HAPPENS
    I scroll UP - 2 Images load fast
    ETC...

So I have to keep scrolling DOWN and UP many times for everything to load, not just DOWN.

In the end it take much more time to load, if it even load all of it.

So it gets very weird, complicated, and user might not understand when everything is actually finished loading.

Without lazy load. It load everything much faster.

I can send you a video of this if its hard to explain. But maybe this is how its supposed to work? Its not very elegant if this is so.

I see the same "problem" on:
    Chrome 23.0.1271.64, (before l updated)
    Chrome 23.0.1271.97 (latest)
    Safari Version 5.1.7 (6534.57.2)
    ipad 2 iOS 6

BUT Firefox 17.0.1 SEEMS TO WORK

Lets say I click on gallery - 6 Images load fast.
    Then it stops loading - NOTHING HAPPENS
    I scroll DOWN - 4 Images load fast
    I KEEP scrolling DOWN - 6 images load fast
    I KEEP scrolling DOWN - 2 Images load fast
    I KEEP scrolling DOWN - 1 last image loads fats

SO I ONLY HAVE TO SCROLL DOWN. :) All others I have to keep scrolling BOTH UP and DOWN to top and BOTTOM of the PAGE, so its not easy or elegant except on FIrefox 17.0.1.

---------
    I checked again iPad2 iOS6 showreel, I also checked iPad 1 iOS5, still doest let me click the menu to get out of video on showreel, not big deal.

THANKS AGAIN!!! YOU GUYS ARE GREAT! and so is the THEME!!!!

Tamino
    Post edited by taminoman on
  • AirAir
    First I will cite other user to keep conversation going
    PratikJ said: However, i would like to comment about the lazy load feature, The feature is nice and important but I noticed that sometimes some thumbnails that are partly visible on screen and partly off screen, dont load unless we scroll down. This could be misleading, as users might not know to scroll down if they dont see any continuing thumbnails. Also maybe on faster connections, the thumbnails might load instantly as the user scrolls, but on mobile networks, the thumbnails take time to load, but the user has no idea bout it, so he may end up leaving the page after seeing first two three thumbnails. So it wud be nice if a few more thumbnails are loaded off screen, instead of only loading whats visible. It would also be nice to have an option to set Lazy load to automatic for those who prefer that way, as well as an option of having a button after mentioning a particular number of thumbnails that says load more and it loads maybe next 5 or 10 thumbnails whatever preferred.
    Thanks
    taminoman & PratikJ Thanks for so much for your opinions. I would love to talk about more proper solution, as this is our first implementation of such mechanism and I really was waiting for users opinions about this solution.

As I have to take many factors in consideration I will first explain how did I implement it for now:
    1. Users open page, so images/albums are starting to load, until at least one item will go out of the current window size. So we fill screen(more or less).
    2. This process is made in steps of loading 2 items at once, till screen filled. I chosen 2 as on slow connections it will take to long to load more. But I understand this is not the problem, as filling screen on page open looks OK. Do you agree?
    3. Next users scroll and here if he reached certain point script again try to fill screen with portions of 2 items. So once it could load only 2 items after scroll, and other time it could 4, 6 or more.
    4. And it goes like that till all items are loaded.

Now I understand that point 3 is the problem and could get annoying loading whole the time only 2 items(in most case) per scroll. Also some scrolling may not be catch, which makes user to scroll up and down which is also an issue.
    taminoman said: Without lazy load. It load everything much faster.
    Lazy load should save user connection time and transfer to load content, and I think this is done well. It won't load anything faster as in our old approach. To be honest I though about lazy load after one of our users put 680 images in one album and it killed even fast home connections(it took looong to load):-)
    taminoman said: All others I have to keep scrolling BOTH UP and DOWN to top and BOTTOM of the PAGE, so its not easy or elegant except on FIrefox 17.0.1.
    So it does work but crappy :-) That is good to hear.

My goal is to get similar effect as when you search in google for images, and they load when you reach them.

To achieve this I will:
    -increase number of loaded items per scroll,
    -add Timer that will check should new items load in current scroll position
    -add button which will load more items when two above will fail to preload content fast enough(for example it will be named 'Load more items')

Thanks again for all informations!

With regards.
  • Yes, i guess the solution you proposed is perfect. Thanks.
    Btw will you be adding this in new update? and usually how often do you release updates?
  • That would be great! Those three items should make it more elegant and closer to the google images approach in usability. Good solution. Thanks!

• AirAir
    PratikJ said: Btw will you be adding this in new update? and usually how often do you release updates?
    Yes I will add it in update, I don't know other way.
    I have just finished 3 weeks long update for Hypershot, and currently working on other one for other theme.

I planned to release update with adding new feature, but cause this lazy load issue might be pain for other users also, I will have to change plans and release it early.

When? When it is ready, hope I will end other update soon enough or make one day break to push this fix. We shall see.

How often we release updates? When they are needed, other times we work on new projects and stuck here on forum ;-)

With regards.
  • Great theme , easy to use, great support. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks
  • AirAir
    It is fixed in newest Hypershot 1.0.3 :-)
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 16
    Hello Air, i am posting in this topic since i think i got stuck in the same problem.
    I just finally bought a ipad 4 retina and surprisingly i found that the brick list is not loading except 2 thumbs, once i change to album list it works.
    What should i do? -i leave it to brick mode for you to see.
    Ps: It works on "normal" computers.
    The problem is, i have a presentation to show on monday.....i hope you can help me with that.
    Thanks again!
    Post edited by mlynek on
  • AirAir
    Hello. I don't know where I can see it, but I think I know what problem you see on IPad. Download update form ThemeForest. This should fix your issues.

With regards.
    thanks a lot will check it out