Before you ask please READ THIS

Video on front page

Hi there,

I put a video as a background on my front page, but because I linked it to a youtube video, it is always loading for a few seconds before it plays. How can I achieve the same effect (www.cute.solutions) without having to link to youtube?

Thx for your help!
Anneleen

Comments

• AirAir
    Hello:)

Your main problem is loading time of video? If yes then you can't get any better then youtube I suppose, loading video from your server will be even slower for your viewers.

What you can do is to make sure you put background image under video so it will show some preview of video before it load.

With kind regards.
  • Hi there, thx!
    Ok, so I 'll try that!

Another problem we have, is that our customers often 'block' youtube, so they see an error on the first page. Any idea how to solve this? I can't seem to find the option of how to show the video on the first page without linking to a youtube video.
  • AirAir
    Block Youtube? I know about blocking adds, but Youtube, one of main sites in the whole internet? :-)
    Can you show me how does look blocked Youtube?
    Maybe you mean that video on youtube is blocked for users in some countries?

You can always add video to Vimeo and link it instead(if you use Revolution slider for it).

With kind regards.
  • Yes indeed... they block Youtube because they want their employees to work instead of watching video's ;-) It's a cruel world... It's not possible to upload in media & link to it from the site itself? grtz!
  • AirAir
    Can you tell me how you add your video to front page? With Visual Composer or Revolution slider?
  • Right now I worked with visual composer - video background in a row
  • Visual Composer has only YouTube option indeed.
    Listen on Monday Daniel will be in office - he is our expert in content possibilities ;-)
    I will tell him to check out this topic and see if he has any idea for your situation.

Have a good weekend.

With kind regards.
  • Ok, thx! :-) Have a nice weekend!
    Hello Anneleen

The only solution i can see here is to use the Revolution Slider with a self hosted video like mp4 or you can use Vimeo video if they dont block this too like the youtube. But you can use Vimeo only in the Revo Slider.

Do you know how to setup a Slider?

With Regards
    Daniel

Lead Graphic Designer
  • Hi Daniel, thx for your answer! The thing is, Vimeo is often blocked as well, so unfortunately that's not a great alternative.

Isn't there a possibility to link to a video which I download on the site itself? Maybe I could convert it to a gif-file? Don't know if that would make it easier?
    Hello again Anneleen

You can upload your video using the media manager and add it to a new slider.
    Take a look: http://nimb.ws/anWPpo .

You must create a new slider or use any of the existing slider and change background to video using the settings i posted in the preview above.

As I asked above, do you have any experience in creating sliders?

With Regards
    Daniel
    Lead Graphic Designer
  • Hi Daniel,

ok thx! I created a slider once before, so I guess I can do it again ;-) If I'm stuck, I'll let you know. Thank you for your help.
    Anneleen
    Of cource, let me know when you face a problem :)

With Regards
    Daniel
    Lead Graphic Designer