Before you ask please READ THIS

Share icon in lightbox and sharing on mobile

Hi Air,

You asked me to come to the support forum so here i am :-)

The problem i have with the current version is that there doesn't seem to be a way of sharing the image when in lightbox mode.

Also the sharing of images on mobile is not very user friendly in either single album mode or in lightbox mode. I think the best solution for mobile would be to be able to use the native sharing (push & hold) or have a share icon that would launch the native sharing screen (not sure if that's even possible). No need to show the AddToAny options then i suppose.

For the record, my original post in the themeforest comments.
----

Client approved the proposal so i bought the theme, Everything is going smoothly but i’m wondering Is there anyway of sharing the picture to social media while you are on mobile & in lightbox mode (desktop & mobile)?

On mobile the only way i found was push and hold in the album overview, then the anyshare btn’s appear. But if you use those it tries to share them over the browser instead of the native apps.

I don’t see any options for social buttons in the lightbox mode and the native ios/android push and hold function to share images also doesn’t work.

Am i missing something?

Comments

• AirAir
    Hello there:-)

Thanks for stepping in!
    jochenc said: The problem i have with the current version is that there doesn't seem to be a way of sharing the image when in lightbox mode.
    Yes, lightbox mode doesn't have sharing option however, Daniel found out such extension to this lightbox: http://sachinchoolur.github.io/lightGallery/demos/share.html , and I will have to test it, if everything is working good. I will check it out tomorrow.
    jochenc said: I think the best solution for mobile would be to be able to use the native sharing (push & hold) or have a share icon that would launch the native sharing screen (not sure if that's even possible). No need to show the AddToAny options then i suppose.
    I am also not sure about native sharing screen but I will research tomorrow as well.
    I suppose this native thing works when under your finger is image, not covered by anything. In bricks mode it is hidden under some element, but in lightbox it is not covered at all.
    Does native share works in lightbox?

As we need AddToAny for desktop users, it is rather not an option to switch it off. However it would be good question to plugin authors, to see if they could implement this native behavior somehow it somehow.

Do you think that social icons should be visible, on smaller devices ? For now you could use such custom CSS to display them all the time:
    figure .a2a_kit{
    opacity: 1;
    }
    With kind regards.

• The extension looks like a fairly good solution, if that would work i would probably not even use the anyshare buttons on mobile or desktop (because i feel the design does suffer a bit with the anyshare buttons on top of the images).

Only downside would be that it still uses the browser to share and not the native apps. I'm not sure but i did a quick search on google and it looks like it might not even be possible to start the native share options from the browser (besides the hold on an image option).

The native mode doesn't work in lightbox mode either unfortunately. Maybe the browser is intercepting the command to handle the left & right swiping.

Thanks for the code, i might need that in the future.

One more thing, if i share an image with the anyshare buttons, i get the attachment on facebook. The link points to the specific image that has been shared, but it shows a description of all the images and the logo instead of the shared image. This doesn't happen in the demo. In the documentation you mentioned to install "Facebook Open Graph, Google+ and Twitter Card Tags" plugin. I did but that didn't automagically help unfortunatly. Any settings I need to look at?
    Jochen Creemers.png
    486 x 177 - 25K
  • AirAir
    jochenc said: One more thing, if i share an image with the anyshare buttons, i get the attachment on facebook. The link points to the specific image that has been shared, but it shows a description of all the images and the logo instead of the shared image. This doesn't happen in the demo. In the documentation you mentioned to install "Facebook Open Graph, Google+ and Twitter Card Tags" plugin. I did but that didn't automagically help unfortunatly. Any settings I need to look at?
    Please check if that will help you http://apollo13.eu/docs/apollo13_framework_theme/#!/single_album_social_icons

With kind regards.
  • AirAir
    jochenc said: The native mode doesn't work in lightbox mode either unfortunately. Maybe the browser is intercepting the command to handle the left & right swiping.
    You might be right about it. I will have to test it deeply someday, to see if I can improve native sharing at all.

About social icons in lightbox:

Things have changed abit in this lightbox script since we started to use it. This is new module for it. I will need more time to test it with theme and solve some issues. Then I could add option for this in upcoming update(if it is possible).

With kind regards.