Before you ask please READ THIS

Problems with installation

edited April 2013 in Hypershot Posts: 30
Hello :)
I've been reading every and I mean every comment here and on themeforest about this theme and I finally purchased it today! I think it's the best theme out there to fit my needs.
I am using a different theme right now and wanted to switch to hypershot. And because I don't want to work live on my site I installed xampp and set up wordpress on my localhost. Just set up your theme with all my content and then transfer everything to my server when I'm done. At this point everything is fine.

Now I installed your theme the usual way via the wordpress backend. Installation was successful and I can access all the options to customize the theme. BUT here is my problem:
When I launch the site (doesn't matter if in a new tab or in the theme preview window in wordpress where you can) I only get a blank page. The only thing that is there is the standard grey background pattern but nothing else :(
No header, no content, simply nothing shows up. I followed the steps in your documentation but I can't get the theme running.
Here is what I did so far:
I published a new site called portfolio. I set up a new album with 7 photos. And I tried different options for the start page. Page, static Album etc. And I also set up my menus following the documentation. Still getting an blank page.
I also loaded your sample data once. But none of my settings made the site show up. The only thing I see is the pattern.

I read about the SEO plugin problems. But the only ones I've installed are AddThis and the Wordpress Updater. So I don't think it is a plugin problem. And since I downloaded your theme today I guess I have the newest version?!

I also deleted everything and installed the theme one more time. Still the same problem.

Other themes work fine on my localhost. I mean at least they show up when I preview them.
I didn't find any answer in this forum for this problem.
I hope you can help.

best regards
Kevin

Comments

• AirAir
    edited April 2013 Posts: 10,970
    Hello Kevin:-)

I am just about to go sleep, but before you can provide more info :-)

If you must run theme on localhost then you have to enable debug mode (like here http://www.wprecipes.com/how-to-easily-enabledisable-debug-mode-in-wordpress)

and then activate theme and copy what error you see(there probably will be some).

I have my guess what could it be, but I will wait for your answer :-)

PS. Thanks for kind words:-)

With regards.
    Post edited by Air on
    Hi Air,
    thanks for the fast answer. I won't keep you from sleeping. Actually have to go to bed myself soon ;)

I did edit my wp-config.php and added "?debug=debug" to my URL which in my case is http://localhost/wordpress/album/laura-nhow/?debug=debug

But I don't get any error message :(
    Still the same blank page.
    OK I just installed the theme on my server without activating it.... and guess what. It works :)
    So it must be a problem with it running on my localhost. But I really need to set it up offline because the theme I now have installed uses his own gallerie "plugin". So I cannot just swich to hypershot. And I don't want to have everybody checking my site and find it messed up :P
    So it's bedtime for me too now. Just get back to me when you you think there is a solution for this.

thanks so far
    gn8
    Kev
  • AirAir
    Hello:-)

Normally users see everything or nothing(no even bg pattern) so it could be something else, but anyway there must be some error if page is not loading completely.

Changing constant WP_DEBUG to define('WP_DEBUG', true); in wp-config.php should be enough to see bugs. There is always possibility that bug is hidden in source of HTML. You can try find it you self by going Cytrl +U in Firefox or Chorme. You can also copy source to some text file, ZIP it, and attach here so I could check.

In 24h we plan to release Hypershot 1.2 so maybe there will be some fix for you:-)

You can also install Hypershot and other copy or wordpress on your public server in some subdirectory, make whole process there and still no one will see that you are playing with your site:-)

With regards.
    hi!
    I installed v1.2 now and after it says istallation was successful I get this error:
    Fatal error: Call to a member function toWpFormat() on a non-object in C:\xampp\htdocs\wordpress\wp-content\themes\hypershot\advance\inc\theme-update-checker.php on line 180
    But again only on my localhost. I did install it on my server and the preview is fine. But as you know I cannot activate it now.
    And yes I thought about installing a second wordpress with your theme on my server. But I don't know how to do it. I tried to find some instructions on the net in the past. Because I was already thinking about it before I bought the new theme ;)
    But as I remember there were this structure problem.
    Because if I set up my new site with your theme and upload all my content (albums etc.) to let's say a subdomain, then my whole permalink structure will not work after transfering it to my root directory. Or am I wrong here?
    I was lucky enough that I found some step by step instructions on how to transfer the finished site from my pc to my server via xampp :P
    I also thought about having a landing page that says "offline for a couple of days". But this has to be my index file with this text or a nice graphic. So how could wordpress run then? Because it uses also the index.php in the root directory. I'm really stuck in here :(
    Actually I'm not a noob when it comes to programming an server structure. But the last time I wrote some code is way to long ago lol
    Sorry to keep you busy with this one here... but I still hope that we find some workaround for it. Because if it works I would use my local files to test everything before it goes online. Like my development page :)

thx so far!
    best
    kev
  • AirAir
    Hello:-)

AFAIK it doesn't matter where you will make your pre version cause you will have same problems:-) Please read this for more info http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

To install WP on same server you just need next domain(subdomain) and new database, so it is rather simple all help can be found in Wordpress Codex http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress
    krebbin said: I also thought about having a landing page that says "offline for a couple of days". But this has to be my index file with this text or a nice graphic. So how could wordpress run then? Because it uses also the index.php in the root directory. I'm really stuck in here :(
    There are plugins for almost every occasion :-) Just search for some maintaince plugin -> https://www.google.pl/search?q=maintenance+plugin+wordpress

As for issue in code I will check it out, but if you want to make it locally then remove this code out of file advance/apollo13.php in line ~183

//UPDATE INFO
            require_once (TPL_ADV_DIR . '/inc/theme-update-checker.php');
            $update_checker = new ThemeUpdateChecker(
                TPL_SLUG,
                'http://apollo13.eu/themes_update/hypershot.json'
            );

Hope that will help you.

With regards.
    Thanks! I installed the "Ultimate Coming Soon Page" plugin and it works like a charm :)
    I don't need my old site to be online for the short time of setting up the new one. I guess that is the best solution now.
    So thank you for your help. Thumbs up for the support here! Great to know that help is always around the corner ;)

But I have another question that just came up. Is it better to open a new thread for it?
    If so I'll do that. But maybe it's a short answer :P

I bought the theme mostly for the new "fit images" gallery. Is it possible to have the info overlay like in the "full with" ones? I read in the comments on TF that it isn't possible for videos. But will it work with this kind of gallery?

best
    Kevin
  • AirAir
    edited April 2013 Posts: 10,970
    Hi,

Could you post more details with links to our demo, cause I don't understand what you wish, sorry :-) Use this as base link http://themes.apollo13.eu/hypershot/
    krebbin said: So thank you for your help. Thumbs up for the support here! Great to know that help is always around the corner ;)
    Thanks:-) If you are happy with this theme please don't forget to rate us on ThemeForest - it helps us a lot! Thanks!

With regards.
    Post edited by Air on