Before you ask please READ THIS

Horisontal main menu + requests

edited April 2013 in Beach Please Posts: 22
So, I may be going out on a limb here and asking for to much. Don´t know if you are taking requests (=

1 Question: I´m just wondering if there´s a simple way of making the Beach Please top menu to a horisontal one? I´m willing to remove social icons, search form and separators.

2 I found: That when viewing the Works-template on iPhone the text that appears on hoover is shown, and it pretty much unreadable (I realize that I can´t hoover on a smartphone or tablet). Is there any plans on correcting this? Drop shadows, transparent one-third-height-overlay-box as on hoover, or maby just removing the text?

3. I´d like to split the Works-grid width in two columns when viewing on "mobile device". With just one Work taking up the whole width, theres to much scrolling imo. I manage to do this if I scale the overall width of the Works-posts to about 200px, but then the layout in "full-size" looks way to small.

Is it possible to change the scaling of Works according to device width?

4 Feature: A cool feature would be a Quote-Works that acts like a regular Work in positioning etc. But isnt clickable. Just as a place to put some text. Erhm, yeah. I´ll try to do it my self I guess.

I really apprechiate the theme you guys made, I love it. And i realize that I might be asking for much here...Doesn´t hurt to ask, right?

Site I´m working on: www.ornryd.com

Comments

• AirAir
    Hello there pior:-)

1. We were answering this in theme comments : "The only “easy” possibility for horizontal menu is to make it look like in the narrowest responsive version."
    We have other themes that use horizontal menu(Hypershot and Spaceship ), but this one uses vertical one, so no chance for it.

2. Yes this is what I am changing as we speak, so bullseye! It will be changed so that first tap will show title on black overlay, and next will enter work. We made same change in Hypershot yesterday so you can see it there http://themes.apollo13.eu/hypershot/ :-)

pior said: I´d like to split the Works-grid width in two columns when viewing on "mobile device".
    If you define how can I determine what is "mobile device" then OK ;-) Cause you know this is not easy question.
    We could try forcing styles for smaller window widths, but it will impact flexibility of images. I would recommend for you to find best balance for your needs. Keep also in mind that not all "mobile devices" has same space available so in one device it can be two columns in other one.

4. Will see if any one else would like something like that. You know, you have quote posts that are not clickable. Works are works :-) So I think you better will use blog for such things.
    As I saw your site I think I can see where it could be used, but then again for such cases you have gallery:-)
    pior said: Doesn´t hurt to ask, right?
    Right:-) Big thanks for your feedback it is always nice to hear what users of our theme would like to see in our "works":-) We can also discuss how to achieve some things with current state of theme:-)

With regards.
    Thanks for your speedy answer! I´m using childtheme so I´m exited for a update.

1. I´ll se if I can solve it myself.

3. You are right. Hard to tell. Maby set a breakpoint at 640px width(or somewhere around there) to separate into two columns? I get what you are saying, and the next gen. phones might have an even larger resolution.

• AirAir
    3. Breakpoint is exactly on 650px now ;-) But flexibility of images is controlled by JS so only forcing width with !important is possible without editing JS. But as I said theme will rather suffer from such change.

With regards.
    The only “easy” possibility for horizontal menu is to make it look like in the narrowest responsive version."

- That´s kind of what I´m after, except I want to display the like the full width menu, but horisontal. I´ll give it a go.

Thanks for your quick support!
  • AirAir
    :-)
    Good luck! Be aware that JavaScript is used to add .touch class to menu so it looks like that in narrow screen. I think that if you change styles #access.touch to #access You will achieve most of result, or you can try to add class touch to #access element. However it won't be easy, but I hope you will achieve what you wish!

With regards.