Before you ask please READ THIS

Single Album Display : Hide layout on load + little improvements

edited May 2013 in Hypershot Posts: 38
Hello,

here's a few questions or suggestions about that lovely theme. It seems a long message but I've just tried to be as clear as possible and avoid short mysterious descriptions involving time spent on trying to figure out what the hell I'm talking about. I hope it will be clear enough. If you'd rather have it sliced in as many thread just let me know I would do so, I could not find any infos about that in your 'read first' policy.

* studio.neq3.com (early stage ;) )
* Plugins Active : Ajax ThumbReb - PC Custom CSS
* WP 3.5.1
* Hypershot 1.2.1

1/ Detail improvement - single album display and actionless click on 'info'
First question, and that's more about a buggy behaviour (little UI conception error by the way). On single album display, when layout is hidden, hoovering the center of pictures displays that 'i' (info) icon. Although pressing it doesn't display anything when the layout is hidden as the title/description text is for now included in 'hidden layout' group. You Sir would probably agree that it's an non elegant behaviour for such a lovely fading-in icon, in middle of everything, and that would not cost much to fix that detail in some next update ?

For now I see two ways :
- a - the easy logic one, hoovering pictures doesn't display that 'i' when layout is hidden.
- b - The solution I would enjoy more: differenciate 'picture title description' text and website UI as part of 'hidden layout' mode, the 'i' would still make the title/description popping out while UI would still stay hidden. I would be even more 'heavenlized' if thumbnailed numbers could follow accordingly :) Would that be much more efforts than solution 'a' ? Would it be as easy as changing the class targetted by the function ?

2/ Detail improvement - "use only as background" versus "hide from albums page".
I wanted to use a slider(=a created album) in a blog post (format:gallery) but didn't wanted it to display on albumS page. I could do it exactly as I wished by using the (in edit album) 'use only as background' option, it took the album out of galleries page display, but let the album appears in the 'post edit' / 'blog post details' / 'select album' field.
Then why am I writting about something that work perfectly ? :)

I think the option 'use only as background' should more be presented as 'hide from albums page'. It is simply what it is doing, (while actual given description is false :p ) And it's very convenient to have it :) I knew I could achieve it by filtering with genre but that would have been time spent for nothing compare to a tick. that's all.

Although I just noticed now that using the search : http://studio.neq3.com/?s=april ,it gives both results, the post and the album used to 'compile' pictures. And it would be nice or to hide the album from search (when "use only as background" is selected) or to change the icon from album wich looks like a post (while the post looks like an album, but as it contains a slider anyway it's ok) just would be nice to change the icon of the album type. :)

3/ Question - Layout hidden by default
I would like an opinion about entitled feature : could an Album being displayed with the layout hidden by default, I find it's giving more impact to showcased works when layout is hidden on arrival. As you ApolloGuys provided enough features to browse pictures without needing much more display, would that be a easy/possible trick to code ? Launching the click function on page complete load ? Or after a very short delay timer 1000ms so that the visitor could see the layout disapearing (= knows it exist) ?

4/ Question - Go back / Close button in single album display
In same context, I find it a bit strange to have to go back to albums by the menu, it gives a feeling of circular trip rather than way&back that a 'back' (or 'close') button provide. When layout is hidden it's even more strange, you have to display it to be able to quit an album. I know it's not as easy as described, but I just would like to know if a simple history.go(-1) would work in this theme context ? All in all I think that doing a little brother of the 'show layout' in the upper left corner would be just perfect. Am I the only one thinking so till now ? Does that sound rather hard ?

5/ Question - Blog list Brick style, how to hide text content from a gallery post ?
In this situation : http://studio.neq3.com/?page_id=25 you can see that a gallery post containing text ('mobile view april') displays it under the slider, how would it be possible to avoid that totally (not loading rather than css-outing it ?). I would like to let text for classic post only.

6/ Same page as in link given in 5, notice that dropcap in the standard blog post doesn't show up in posts page (hypershot and summer) It appears in post not in 'brick' form. ?

MmM.. sorry for that annoying stack of this and that..
I 've tried to browse as much as possible in existing threads, and I don't think I've reposted too much.. well, at least I hope.

And It's a fantastic theme. I mean already :)
And as far as I've been reading around, it could be best choice for me to go, not only nowadays, but for a long while, as advises and help provided on this board are really efficient and kindly given. Cheers to your team and keep up the excellence in theming !
Post edited by Paul on

Comments

• AirAir
    Hi Paul:-)
    Paul said: If you'd rather have it sliced in as many thread just let me know I would do so, I could not find any infos about that in your 'read first' policy.
    Yes it would be better cause responding to such long topic is hard, mainly cause it touches many topics, and any further conversation will mean chaos :-)
    Thanks for reading Before you ask READ THIS :-) Not many do that.

I will respond here to all your questions, but if you wish to continue any topic then please start it as separate one.

1. That would require rather big changes in price for such small tweak. I agree with what you say. Easiest, probably, thing would be to "Show layout" when i is clicked on hidden layout.
    It is minor tweak as I said, cause mainly people who use "Hide layout" are authors, not visitors - that is "sad" true.

2a. Relabel option - it is still true, as genres was added later then this option. And if you don't add genre to such album you won't see it on any Albums list:-) But I agree it could be better label:-)

2b. Search results - yes it would be nice tweak:-)

3. I think you can do such small customization with some JavaScript plugin(that will allow you write custom JS). If you need help with that then start new topic and I will help.

Paul said: Am I the only one thinking so till now ? Does that sound rather hard ?
    I don't know if anyone besides me read every topic ;-) So hard to tell:-) Is it hard? Such customization alone should be done in 1 hour I think :-)
    Paul said: I just would like to know if a simple history.go(-1) would work in this theme context
    Yes, there is no AJAX here, so it will work. By the way you have Albums switcher in Full width Album (check here http://themes.apollo13.eu/hypershot/album/patterns/ and click albums name above thumbs)

5. I don't see any text there. If you don't want text there to display so why you add it in first place?:-)

6. Yes, shortcodes don't work in excerpts and are truncated by wordpress. Use manual blog content cutting. Read more http://apollo13.eu/docs/hypershot/#!/blog_archives_menu Type of post excerpts
    Paul said: ALL THE NICE WORDS :-)
    Thanks for your kind words. We hope that you will still be happy with our theme:-) And our support.

Have a nice day!

With regards.

• edited May 2013 Posts: 38
    Edit : " if you wish to continue any topic then please start it as separate one. "
    Sorry, I'm doing that then.
    Thanks
    Post edited by Paul on
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 38
    Air said: mainly people who use "Hide layout" are authors, not visitors - that is "sad" true.
    That's why I wanted to force them to hidden layout display on load :D
    Bruteforcing, so what ;)
    New thread started.

2 everything said :)
    ( Notice how the category field in bottom of the brick is broken too http://studio.neq3.com/?s=mobile , category : bookmark the permalink :D )

3 Auto Hidden Layout on Load : (because of first point) I would enjoy that very much yes, I even think it would be a great feature for everybody, but who knows :) New thread started : http://support.apollo13.eu/discussion/1222/layout-hidden-by-default-in-single-album-view

4 'Back' button from single Album : As numbers are sometimes not much without units, I'm now wondering how much hours in my unit system it would cost :D Ok I'll try that on my own and open a thread if I greatly fail. Thanks for giving your estimation about easyness.

5 Because one could like a slider in a post WITH text, but slider+text in a 'brick' make it awfully long (imo). I started a new thread : http://support.apollo13.eu/discussion/1221/in-blog-list-brick-style-how-to-hide-text-from-a-gallery-type-post-brick-s

6 Thanks, I didn't knew for the optional excerpt text field in WP, the way to go for sure !

As required, for a better use of this help board, I'm moving to separate threads.
    Post edited by Paul on
  • AirAir
    Paul said: category : bookmark the permalink
    This is how Wordpress advises to solve no category, but I also don't like it(this solution) that much.
    Paul said: Thanks for giving your estimation about easyness.
    It is rather not fast compared to other changes I advise on forum. I am afraid that would be too much time consuming for me to help you with it.
    Paul said: As required, for a better use of this help board, I'm moving to separate threads.
    Sweet;-)

With regards.