Before you ask please READ THIS

Filtered Gallery

edited September 2013 in Hypershot Posts: 32
Hi,

may be I'm just blind, but how did I get a gallery like the homepage of the demo http://hypershot.theme.apollo13.eu ?

Thanks in advance!
Best wishes
Stefan

Comments

• AirAir
    Hello :-)

Just add genres to your albums. Check http://apollo13.eu/docs/hypershot/#!/adding_album_adding_multiple_albums_list

With regards.
  • Hi and thanks - found it.

So, now I have the problem, that the page with the template "albums" will add all my albums - but I only want to add albums with a genre, because I already have other albums ...
    Is that possible?

Maybe you want to have a look: http://www.stefangroenveld.de is my blog with "liebe" and "hamburg ist braun-weiß" as albums - but I want to have another album called portfolio to show a different view on my work.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kind regards
    Stefan
  • AirAir
    As I understand you wish to get page with only one genre. In link I gave you to documentation it is shown how to link such page from menu(you have to add link to Albums genre), just check it once again.

With regards.
  • Unfortunatly I want to have more than one genre in my portfolio page with the albums ...
  • AirAir
    So only albums that have genre, now I understand.

You can add all other albums to genre for example 'no-genre' :-) and exclude it in WP-Query in albums-list.php.

You need help with it?

With regards.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 38
    I think, and may be I'm wrong, that he would like many genres in an album, actually that's my problem so may be i just 'projected' my need on his question but... why isn't there just hierarchy in genre, selecting a parent genre would display all albums from child genre ?

Let's say a People genre would have 2 childs genre : 'wedding' and 'streetlife', I could make a link going to display all weddings gallery, another one displaying all streetlife gallery, while a link to people genre would display both ensemble.

It's my main problem to make a rationnal visitor friendly organisation nowadays.

edit : or a multi genre selector, same same.
    Post edited by Paul on
  • AirAir
    edited January 2014 Posts: 10,970
    As it sounds really nice and easy I am not sure that wordpress is flexible enough in Custom post types to do that this way. However I really like your idea, and definatelly I will give it s try(first I have some updates to finish).

Thanks for idea!

With regards.
    Post edited by Air on
    Hello Air,

well they could be another feature which goes even more into that direction (parsing flexibility), the album generated on flight from tag(s) on photos.

I know that few plugins add tags to media, from there do you think a proper and simple request could generate & display a 'virtual' album from any given tag ?

I know I'm getting far from hypershot core right now but somehow if the theme rockxs in itself, the difficult job of the eclectic photographer is to find a comprehensive structure to display his job..

As hypershot is made now it's working with a choosen set of pictures gathered in an album. But since I'm updating my portfolio (looking for a job hey) it's pretty nightmarish : I would like to display different albums to different people, architects, press, studio, etc. For now I have to create specific album with redundant photos but if it's ok as quick tips it's not very convenient to maintain. Is a picture more to go in 'black&white' or 'fine art' or 'retouche' or '2014' or 'wedding' when it's a super hype black and white photoshoped photo taken with sigma 10-20 from last week wedding ;) ?? While sending a link with a proper tag inside could display to whoever exactly what they supposedly want to see.

That would make the classic photographer workflow quite easy too as most catalogue manage exifs and they might be a few plugins populating those tags straight from exifs, far from redundant album/genre creation just to virtualize a flexible presentation.

Plus it doesn't change the actual system, it's just adding.
    I know it's far from hypershot core right now but as most of the difficult job is done would it be so complicated for a RC2.0 ? :)

All the best for your release,
    Paul.

PS : genre robust-ification would be already nice :)

• AirAir
    Wow, this is also cool idea! However there is problem how such album will gain its URL. I have few ideas how this could be solved. Also there is question is such way of selecting photos won't be too slow in case that user will have thousands of photos in his library. This(speed) may be more of WP problem then theme:-)

Above problems are technical issues, but this will be facing other, serious issue - of my time to develop this. Nowadays we focus on creating new, more complete themes, and Hypershot is more of patched then extended. However I am highly interested in your ideas, and I will try to work on them, as this could also be passed to our new children :-)

Once again thanks for great advice!

With kindly regards.

To come back to the initial question, plus or less, how Am I trying to bypass genre limitations for now :)
    It's a bit verbose but not complicated :

I did some 'empty' album to display on landing page (all 'albums' page), just explicit featured image. They are linked with 'custom link' feature to all albums display with a certain genre : so a click on landing page album 'people' would bring me to display all albums with 'people' genre : wedding, portrait, models etc...

Problem :

1 - I had to hide most of 'child' albums (using 'only for background' feature) from landing page, I just want the few initial one on that page. The problem now is that those albums do not appear neither when called by link with their genre :S

2 - I've tried avoiding that by NOT hidding them, and make the landing page with all fake albums in a genre. But actually I cannot choose a genre as a landing page ( like http://www.xxx.com/genre/Landing/ ). It's or a page or a gallery or all albums.

Question : Do you think in case 1/ they would be a simple modification to force albums to display when they are called by linking their genre. Even if they are hidden from all albums page.

Or is it more easy to force a custom link as landing page : hardcoding allowed, to solve case 2/

I would really need to obtain that result.
    A third solution would be to land wherever and provide a link to my landing genre, but that's a two steps navigation. which is not good ;)

About aside discussion :

Ahah sure I understand the time issue, I wasn't expecting that to be really implemented, or certainly not tomorrow anyway ;)

But I think that this theme has some potential, let's say some timeless potential, it could maintain itself as a seller. Plus most of the tricky part is made imho : design debug is somewhat endless pain and it's now quite clean. So please, if someday you achieve the technical part in new theme... More features, more flex : more users :)
  • AirAir
    Paul said: The problem now is that those albums do not appear neither when called by link with their genre :S
    In genre it won't display when you select this option. Each album can have many genres so rather no easy solution for genre link sniffing.
    Paul said: 2 - I've tried avoiding that by NOT hidding them, and make the landing page with all fake albums in a genre. But actually I cannot choose a genre as a landing page ( like http://www.xxx.com/genre/Landing/ ). It's or a page or a gallery or all albums.
    Yup, you can try some redirect plugin. I should add option to display genre as front page in future.

With regards.