Before you ask please READ THIS

No info or social links in attachment page

edited September 2013 in Hypershot Posts: 28
Hello! Something that has been bothering for a while, but no matter what settings I tried I couldn't find a solution for:

When I open the attachment page of an image (e.g. through the "chain" icon link that appears in the middle of an image, next to "info" and "share"), then it opens alright, but I do not see any descriptions of the image as text (which would be great for SEO) nor - and this is more important to me - do I see any social sharing icons.

I checked the box for "Show sharing buttons" in the media page of each of my uploaded images, I installed AddThis Share, and I also tried using the sharing function included in Jetpack, where you can enable to show sharing buttons on attachment pages, but to no avail.

Do you have any idea how I can enable sharing buttons on attachment pages for my images?

Here is an example of one of my attachment pages: http://7188photography.com/album/recent/attachment/tokyo-city-scape-3238/

Thank you!

Comments

• AirAir
    Hi there

You are first one interested in that page, most people wanted to switch it off.
    7188photo said: but I do not see any descriptions of the image
    You would like to see description that you added in Media library, right?
    7188photo said: I checked the box for "Show sharing buttons" in the media page of each of my uploaded images
    Could you show me on screen shot where is such option cause I couldn't find and I am curious.

We can extend it with social icons, I think it should be easy:-)

With regards.
  • Thanks for your fast reply.

I wouldn't mind switching it off, but I need a good way to easily share a link to just one specific photo on my website, and the attachment page seemed to be only possible way to do that in the Hypershot theme. If there's another way, I'd be pleased to know!

Yes, if possible I would love to see the description that I added in the Media library. Again, my thought is that when I share one specific photo, people have all the information. Also, it is a good way to improve SEO.

(By the way, is the information about each photo in album view being read by search engines? I wanted to open another thread about that topic, but maybe you can answer already here...)

I attached a screenshot where you can see the "Show sharing buttons" option at the very bottom of the image in my Media library. It doesn't really change anything whether I check it or not, though - at least I haven't noticed.
    Screen Shot 2013-09-23 at 5.54.41 PM.png
    1086 x 840 - 300K
  • AirAir
    edited September 2013 Posts: 10,970
    7188photo said: If there's another way, I'd be pleased to know!
    I think this the only one beside sharing link to photo alone:-)
    7188photo said: By the way, is the information about each photo in album view being read by search engines? I wanted to open another thread about that topic, but maybe you can answer already here...)
    If you disable JavaScript you can see what is visible for search engines:-)
    We are displaying description added to photo in album, not the one added in Media Library. However in Attachment page it will be much easier and logic to use that added in Media Library.
    7188photo said: I attached a screenshot where you can see the "Show sharing buttons" option
    It doesn't show in my version, but doesn't matter :-) I was just curious.

Use file from ZIP in attachment(upload attachment.php to hypershot theme directory) and you will see description and social icons from AddThis plugin.

With regards.
    zip
    zip
    attachment.zip
    Post edited by Air on
  • Thanks! It really does show description and social icons :)

But now it shoes two rows of AddThis social icons (bottom row under the photo, and again top row sharing icons before the description) - and also the JetPack social icons.
    See here: http://7188photography.com/album/recent/attachment/tokyo-city-scape-3238/

I guess I could disable the JetPack social icons, but that still leaves me with two confusing rows of AddThis icons... so to be honest, I'd prefer to just use the JetPack social icons (because I know how to display only the social services I want to be there) .
    .. or if that is too difficult, only one row of AddThis icons is okay, too. In that case I'll do some research of how to properly use and customize AddThis :P

Thanks again for the quick fixes by the way, you rock.
  • AirAir
    Yes, I know about two rows of AddThis icons, didn't know about JetPack icons.
    I tried for an hour to do it from code(to remove one row), but only way to get one set of icons is to deactivate Top icons(above content) in AddThis configuration. It is pretty easy.

Also I suppose that if you remove this code from attachment.php line~51 you will get only JetPack icons

if(function_exists('addthis_sidebar_widget')){
    do_action( 'addthis_widget' );
    }

With regards.
  • Thanks for your reply :)

I would love to disable AddThis icons on the attachment page and only use JetPack icons, so I was looking for the code you posted above, in attachment.php - but I couldn't find it! It is not in the attachment.php you sent me in this thread, and it is not in the original attachment.php ... Are you using another attachment.php ?

There is only one command that mentions addthis in the code of my attachment.php - and that is the div class description php_doaction addthis_widget and so on line.

Sorry to still haven't figured it out, but your help is highly appreciated :)
  • AirAir
    7188photo said: There is only one command that mentions addthis in the code of my attachment.php - and that is the div class description php_doaction addthis_widget and so on line.
    Yup this the line:-) I had to expand code after I gave you file:-) Here is proper one.

With regards.
    zip
    zip
    attachment.zip
  • This sort of worked - thanks! :)