Before you ask please READ THIS

Header Widget

edited September 2013 in Skyfashion Posts: 11
Hi,

I am wanting to place a widget in the header. Can you please let me know how I go about creating a header widget?

Thank you!

Shelley

Comments

Hi swest22

Please send me a screenshot with selected place for this widget placeholder and please tell me what do you want to insert there? Will it be an advertisement or other widgets?

Kind regards
  • Hi Argone,

Thank you for your reply. The image/logo that I am wanting to use for the header has social icons on it that I have mapped links too. I created the icons within the image header as I wanted the social links to be at the top of the screen. The only way I can see that I can add the mapped html to wordpress is by placing it in a widget. I will be using this as the header image in place of having an image loaded in the Site Options - Main Settings screen. The image size is 940x200. I hope this makes sense! If you need any more information, please let me know.

Thanks!

Shelley
  • Hi Argone,

Any ideas how I can place this widget in the header? Your help would be greatly appreciated. If my above comments are not clear or you need me to provide anything else, please let me know.

Thanks,

Shelley
    Firstly find file advance/apollo13.php

In this file find line (about 187):
    function widgets_and_plugins()

Create there a new widget placeholder:

register_sidebar(array(
                'name' => __('Top widget place', TPL_SLUG),
                'id' => 'top-widget-area',
                'description' => __('Widgets from this sidebar will appear in footer', TPL_SLUG),
                'before_widget' => '<div id="%1$s" class="widget-container %2$s">',
                'after_widget' => '</div>',
                'before_title' => '<h3 class="title">',
                'after_title' => '</h3>',
            ));

then find file header.php and add this line in place you need:

dynamic_sidebar('top-widget-area')

Kind regards
  • Hi Argone,

Thank you for your help. I have completed the first step and I now have a top widget place. Where abouts in the header.php do I add the line? I tried inserting it, but where I put it created an issue and the website wouldn't load, so I removed it and it's working again.

Thank you!

Shelley
    Hi Swest22,

In add code header.php file:

<?php
    dynamic_sidebar('top-widget-area')
    ?>

Please try to add it before tag (about line 481):
    <div id="header">

Kind regards
    Hi Argone,

Thank you! I added the code just before
    1-10-2013 3-48-04 PM.jpg
    1016 x 291 - 24K
    Hi Shelley,

Please tell me what do you want to get there? Could you send me any concept screenshot?

Kind regards
    Hi Argone,

In the image you will see two grey lines above the menu. All I am wanting to do is delete the top grey line (the longer one), so I will then only have one grey line above the menu.

Thanks,

Shelley
    Could you send me a link to your blog?

Hi Argone, Here is the link to the website http://www.proargan.com Thanks Shelley

Hi Argone,

Do you have any idea's on how to get rid of the top grey line above the menu?

Thanks!

Shelley
    Hi,

add this to your layout.css file:
    #text-2.widget-container { border: none}
    Kind regards
    Hi Argone,

Thank you for your reply. I do not have a layout.css file within the skyfashion template files? Where do I find it or is it a different file I need to put it in? Thanks!

Shelley
    Hi Shelley,

Im sorry that i havent mentioned path in previous post. This file is in common/css/skeleton directory.

Kind regards
    Thanks Argone for all your help! All fixed.