Before you ask please READ THIS

Facebook share, old content in preview

in Spaceship Posts: 10
Hi there :-)

I have 2 questions:

1. When I want to share my homepage on Facebook, the preview I get is with the old content. When I hit the post-button, everything is fine so It does get posted the right way, but the preview I get is obsolete.. It has no picture, and the text I typed in with a SEO-plugin isn't there.. Note: I already debugged my site on Facebooks debugger a hundred times, and I also tried the trick with putting a ?123 og ?fbrefresh after my homepage URL, when posting. Still, the preview shows some old content.
Can anyone tell me what is happening here?

2. When I share my homepage on FB, it sas "Homepage URL. By Apollo 13 team" at the bottom. Can I change any of that?
I have no problem with advertising for you guys, you created one hell of a theme :-) I already recommended it amongst otherts, but when I share my page, I would've loved it to only say my name and homepage URL.

Thanks in advance !

Regards, Jacob

Comments

• AirAir
    Hello there:-)
    Skuddi said: 2. When I share my homepage on FB, it sas "Homepage URL. By Apollo 13 team" at the bottom. Can I change any of that?
    I have no problem with advertising for you guys, you created one hell of a theme :-) I already recommended it amongst otherts, but when I share my page, I would've loved it to only say my name and homepage URL.
    That is bug on my side, or rather I didn't know it will be used by FB. Just go to spaceship/header.php and in line 9 find <meta name="author" content="Apollo13 Team" />. Either change it or remove it.
    I will remove it from theme in next update.
    Skuddi said: 1. When I want to share my homepage on Facebook, the preview I get is with the old content.
    Can you show me live link, so I can see what could be going on?

With kind regards.
    Thank you for your answer :-)

How do I access the spaceship/header.php?

Regarding the link: My Spaceship is located at www.skuddet.dk
    Overnight the Facebook cache-crawler must have updated something, because now it doesnt show any preview at all, when I link to www.Skuddet.dk . No text or image in the preview, but when I hit the post-button and it gets posted, everything is fine.. The text is updated, and so is the image.
    I tried debugging again with Facebooks debugger, but it's the same.
    Very strange :-)
  • AirAir
    Skuddi said: How do I access the spaceship/header.php?
    By FTP or you can try in panel in Appearance->Editor, see screen shot:
    Skuddi said: when I link to www.Skuddet.dk
    So on FB you share your main page, not some subpage, right?

With kind regards.
    ss-2015-06-17_10-58-11.png
    900 x 342 - 17K
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 10
    Regarding the .php-header, this is the only choices I have, when I choose Appearance (Udseende means Appearance in danish, but of couse you can tell by the paint brush anyways). I attached a screenshot, and that's the only choices I have. I have no menu-button called Editor.

When I share my FB-page, I share the www.skuddet.dk-link, no subpage or anything.. I have to mention that www.skuddet.dk automatically redirects to www.skuddet.dk/mix, as this is the photo-album I want to be on the frontpage.
    But again, when I share the link it works fine, the text is right and so is the image.. It's only the preview that is doing weird stuf. Have you tried to just type in www.skuddet.dk on Facebook, to see what the preview does?

Thanks for your help again, really appreciate it!
    Space.jpg
    1200 x 668 - 234K
    Post edited by Skuddi on
  • AirAir
    Skuddi said: I have no menu-button called Editor.
    Either you are not logged as admin, or some plugin disabled it, or maybe even your hosting provider turned this off. In that case do it by FTP in your wordpress installation wp-content/themes/spaceship/header.php

I don't have FB, but I will work on something to take a look there:-)

WIth kind regards.
  • AirAir
    I see that when sharing http://spaceship.apollo13.kinsta.com/ it works ok, but with your site I get nothing. Maybe some plugin is interfering with it. You can try to disable plugins and see if that will help some.

With kind regards.

Thank you so much for your fast responses and help, my friend.

About the Facebook-preview when sharing: I will look at it.. The most important thing is that it looks okay when I hit the share-button, so the preview will get fixed soon enough.. Some way or another.

And regarding the missing Editor-button: I disabled all plugins, but that didn't help. Then I accessed the WordPress-root via FTP, and I found this line in the wp-config.php:

"define('DISALLOW_FILE_EDIT', true); "

I changed 'true' to 'false', reuploaded and now I can access the Editor, without problems. Cheers, buddy :-)
    helpthx.jpg
    1500 x 812 - 314K
  • AirAir
    Skuddi said: And regarding the missing Editor-button: I disabled all plugins, but that didn't help. Then I accessed the WordPress-root via FTP, and I found this line in the wp-config.php:

"define('DISALLOW_FILE_EDIT', true); "
    Good info, I didn't know about this option.
    Skuddi said: so the preview will get fixed soon enough.. Some way or another.
    Hopefully we will find culprit.

With kind regards.