Before you ask please READ THIS

Feature request for SpaceShip theme

edited August 2012 in Spaceship Posts: 25
I thought it might be useful to start a thread for features we'd like to see in later releases. Not sure if these should be done individually, but I didn't want to fill up the board.

In working with the theme (which I love so far) I've found a few things I wish it had. Some of these don't seem terribly difficult, so hopefully I'm not asking too much!

Slideshow
Two related things: A feature where the slideshow doesn't automatically play; and a play/pause button on the slideshow. That seems to be there when you use an album as the background, but on viewing an album there's not start/stop feature.

Transitions in Firefox
Is there anything to be done about the transition quality (specifically fade) in Firefox? It looks great in Chrome and Safari on a mac, but in Firefox it's very choppy at all speeds.

Page Template
Several have mentioned it, but I'd love the option for a full-width page template.

Recent Posts widget
It would be nice to have the recent posts widget show an excerpt like the popular posts does. Right now it only shows title, date, comments.

Recent Posts/Popular posts
It would be nice to have some control over what information these show (comment count, category, date, author, etc.)

blog posts
easy control over the information these show (comment count, category, etc.) and where (above/below post, etc.) (this is sort of a big request..

individual blog posts/background
While I like the ability to set an individual background for each page/post, I don't like that if I set it for the main blog page, I have to set an image for each individual post or else it's just white. It would be nice if there was some sort of "blog" background that would work behind all posts...maybe this is something I can just do in code?

that's all so far!
Post edited by Air on

Comments

• AirAir
    edited August 2012 Posts: 10,970
    Hi AFortner!

Big thanks for so much of your time for writing this long list and lots of info from you:-)

I allowed myself to bold points from your list for easier reading. I think I will also pin this topic :-)

For upgrading Spaceship we have our own strict plan, but it is always nice to get feedback from real theme users like you. As this theme developer, I will try to answer each point. Btw. new spaceship 1.1 is coming monday morning ;-)

Slideshow
    Auto play option - OK, will add it. I will try to add it in 1.1 version.
    Normal pause/play on Album - for now this is only available by clicking on thumbs in thumb list in Album, but we also want to make click on the photo pause slideshow( version 1.2)

Transitions in Firefox
    If you want to see choppy fire Opera ;-) But to the point. Chrome/safari are webkit browsers and they have very fast rendering engine even for full screen photos, but unfortunately other browsers don't run well for this case. I know the issue, as Firefox is my main browser, but there is nothing I can do according to my current knowledge. Will investigate it.

Page Template
    Done in 1.1

Recent Posts widget excerpt
    Oversight:-) Will fix it after I finish this post. Will be ready for 1.1

Recent Posts/Popular posts options
    I will think about it, but I don't promise for now.

blog posts options
    Yes it is big request. I am not fan of such options as this opens opportunity to making every aspect of theme configurable. This may sound really good, but will only create bad monster, and Spaceship don't aspire for such thing. Anyway I will think about partial solution.

I will try to come with something clever, but dunno if this will happen before 1.1

Thanks again for your thoughts!
    With regards.
    Post edited by Air on
  • AirAir
    You have ability to set background for whole page in Spaceship theme->Appearance->Main appearance settings.
    That is not enough?:-)
    I just saw that one when I was moving the site last night. It would certainly work for the blog since I could set different images on individual pages if necessary. Thanks!
    Background: I wanted to set the background for the whole site, but the image doesn't scale like it does in an album. My solution: create an album with only one photo. That works perfectly when I select it for each page, but then I'm back to the problem of having to select it for every page. Could you put in an option to have a sitewide album background?
  • AirAir
    It won't be easy, but I will think of something clever in this subject.
    Also a problem: The footer on an iPad is broken. I thought it was my custom child them, but it happens with the original as well. The footer is displayed in the center with its background not stretching the full width of the display. Screenshot attached.
    photo.PNG
    2048 x 1536 - 903K
  • AirAir
    OK I will look at that. Any more issues with iPhone, iPad? I am asking cause for now I don't have access to such devices.
    I looked into this a bit more. It's not necessarily an iPad problem, although that's where it shows up most obviously. The problem is with the width of the browser window and can be replicated just by adjusting your browser to a narrower width...at some point everything "breaks": the header stacks up weird, the sidebar is pushed below the main content, and the footer stops spanning the full width. on a regular browser you can fix it by changing the width of the window, but the ipad is fixed at that size, so it's constantly broken. This is some deeper code re-working I think...I believe one solution is to use a percentage width for the main content instead of a fixed pixel-defined width, but I'm not positive and I don't know how to implement it. Let me know if I can help further.

Since the main window then takes up the whole browser width on the iPad, there can be some weirdness when scrolling as it's also trying to show the background image underneath. I haven't tried it with a multi-image album in the background. It's not horrible, just a memory issue on the iPad perhaps.

Again, let me know if I can give you more information.
  • AirAir
    AFortner said: at some point everything "breaks"
    It is not broken it is responsive design. Site can't look the same as on full screen desktop and on 320px wide iPhone screen. However there may be some errors, or oversights like with footer, with our current responsive design version.

I know about simulating width of iPhone with browser window, but I doesn't show all mobile devices 'strangeness'.

Anyway thanks for your detailed information :-)

With regards.
    no offense, but i think truly responsive design would alter the layout so things work properly at any (or at least most) sizes. Especially on popular device sizes like iPad and iPhone.

Right now the logo moves up on top of the menu, the sidebar moves down to the bottom. If the layout were responsive, the "main menu" drop down would activate before the logo jumps on top, and the body would resize to accommodate a smaller width for both the content and the sidebar. I've attached a progression of screenshots of what the header does at smaller sizes, before it offers the "main menu" drop down.

Please note also that when the logo "jumps" is when the footer breaks as well.
    Screen Shot 2012-08-25 at 7.02.18 PM.png
    949 x 222 - 42K
    Screen Shot 2012-08-25 at 7.02.28 PM.png
    823 x 194 - 18K
    Screen Shot 2012-08-25 at 7.02.40 PM.png
    605 x 215 - 18K
    Screen Shot 2012-08-25 at 7.02.46 PM.png
    576 x 218 - 14K
  • AirAir
    Well AFrotner, I just won't argue about this topic cause it is pointless for me to explain that it was planned. Header is alone complex part of layout that is why some decisions when, what and where jumps while resolution going lower, may be 'off' for you.

You seem to have some exact info when 'jumping' would be truly 'responsive jumping' and when not :-) One thing about responsive design - it is not about devices(phone, tablet, glass of milk, etc.) but about content.

Anyway we have put update of theme with fixes for mobile version of layout, but cause of all chaos with searching for devices to test on I forgot about footer issue, so I will probably add it in next small update like 1.2.1 or later.

Update should be on TF in few hours(waiting for approve).

With regards.
    I had a question about the header content. We would like to have the header widget be the content area for certain pages. So basically I would comment out the content area and the header dropdown content would replace it. Is it possible to have different content in the header for different pages.

Another question is can we have the header content open. So you would have to click to close not click to open.

Just want to see what the possibilities are.

Thank you for your time.
  • AirAir
    Hello cawiji

Replacing widget area with content is possible(as everything ;-) ) and not so hard, but if you want also to make it look good then case is lot harder. It is kind of hard theme changes.

Opening on load widget area would require changes in CSS and JS files. Can't be done from admin panel.

With regards.
    In the theme demo there is a arrow you can click (top right) to open the header widget that reveals About Spaceship and Lastest from Blog. This content is the same throughout the site.
    Is there a way to make this area the main page content area. . So when you select a page, the page content is held in this area. For example I click on About Us from the menu it loads a page that only has this revealed text. And the area is already expanded and you don't have to click on the arrow to the right.
    Is there some programming that we can pay for to make this happen? Or is this just not possible?
    Thank you for your time.
  • AirAir
    I think I answered same question just above:-) It is possible to make but requires lot of changes to make it fully acceptable.

As for paid changes from our side it is just not possible as we are low on men power :-) Hope in future, we could full fit such requests.

With regards.