Before you ask please READ THIS

Something crashes my layout!

CFPCFP
in Photon Posts: 122
I do have changed the album slug from album to portfolio. Now, I do not have a clou, the settings are gone, and also the album slug. I can change it again to portfolio but it will not stay there. So I got your layout. PLEASE help! Tell me where I can hard code the album slug!

Comments

• CFPCFP
    No Changes in the Settings will apply! I had to replace your default logos in images/default so that my logos will appear. What is wrong www.friedsamphotography.com
  • CFPCFP
    Nothing in the settings will the affect!
  • CFPCFP
    Where are the settings from the theme written in DB?????
  • CFPCFP
    I restored my DB everything! I looks like non of the settings will save or read out from the DB! The DB is working correctly!
  • CFPCFP
    edited May 2016 Posts: 122
    Ok now somewhat calmer...
    So. I rebuild the settings by css. Only quite a few ones.
    But I tried everything. There musst be something with the settings.

I compleatly rebuild the wp environment incl. a new DB (only plain installation of WP, copy theme and child theme, and a whole new DB). Than it seems to work at the beginning.

If I do some changes in the setting and save them it looks ok. Then I tried to restore the DB. And again, everything looks ok. BUT. If I then only try to change a litte setting like text size, the whole site visibly goes back to the default settings with colors, logo, text size, etc.

In the Settings I can change all things (It looks like but it doesn't) even the logos without taking effect on the website. If I leave the settings panel and open it again, no changes are seen. Default values there.

So there ist something in between the DB and the settings of the theme that crashes it. In the DB all the setting are there.
    Post edited by CFP on
  • AirAir
    Hello:-)
    CFP said: Tell me where I can hard code the album slug!
    You have settings for this, so you won't change it in code. Also if you have already page with slug "portfolio" then you will break things(displaying of albums to be precise)

From what you write I suspect two things:
    1. Default settings are applied on save, cause there is no saved theme options in Database yet.
    2. There is something broken in WordPress/server configuration right now.

I think you have gone too far with rebuilding WordPress after your incident, or you didn't tell me all about what you did before your crash.

I would like to help you, but for now I don't know where to even start, cause it looks like site/server configuration prevents it from working.

First try to make your site work again on default WordPress theme, and make sure it works as it should.

With kind regards.
  • CFPCFP
    Everything was set correctly. The album slug was been changed a long time before to "portfolio". So there were no problems.

I only wanted to change the background color of the slider album to a darker one. As I entered the settings panel, there where no values visible like e.g. size. There were all blank! So I changed the background color to a darker one. Since then my website shows the default setting layout incl. your theme logo.

After that shock, I go again to the settings panel to change all setting back to "normal". As I mentioned before all values were blank. So again I entered all the needed values. But nothing happened. The layout stayed the same default one. Even when I changed the logo from the settings - nothing.

Overtime I reentered the settings panel all entries are gone and the value fields are blank.

I looked at my sql db. And all the needed values are there.

The only thing I have changed before I trie to darken the background color was to add the wpml plugin. But that is supported by your theme.

Like I mentioned. I tried to rebuild the whole wp incl. a new db. At the beginning it seems to work. But I can't loose my content, so I did a recovery on the db. And again the theme layout went to the default one. But the theme setting in the db (e.g. wp-options) are still the same. With or without the backupped db.
    Post edited by CFP on
  • CFPCFP
    Now I fixed it by custom css to overwrite the styles! But the settings panel has empty values.
  • AirAir
    OK.

Have you done any changes to theme? Are you using child theme?

How about user directory in main theme? Is it there with user.css in it? Can server write to this file?

With kind regards.
  • CFPCFP
    I have done some minor changes (see other post) where I make the theme to get the rev slider plugin to work on the main page. But I have copied a new one without changes. And the issue is quite there.

And yes I use a child theme. Even when I deactivate the child theme and want to use the original one it doesn't work.

Yes, there is a user directory with permission 705 and inside a user.css with permission 644.
  • CFPCFP
    What I mentioned quite jet is, but ONLY in my dev space. When I overwrite the whole parent theme. With or without the changes I have done to it. It uses my config settings. UNTIL I want to change them in the settings panel! Then it switches back to the default ones.

The only difference in the prod and the dev environment (files are the same and also the db content) is the url. Could that be something interesting for you?
  • AirAir
    Then I have no idea, what got corrupted in your case. So all plugin deactivated, server can write and still doesn't work?

What you have in child theme exactly?
  • AirAir
    You making it much more complicated with each post.

Can we talk about one environment with everything other out of the way, like no changes in theme, no plugins(except for Apollo13 Photon Post Types), no child theme active, just clean installation.
    And then lets add one thing at time and check until when it will work.
  • CFPCFP
    In the child theme i have:
    - 404.php
    - attachment.php
    - footer.php
    - front-page.php
    - functions.php (of cause)
    - header.php
    - single.php
    - style.css (of cause)

I tried it even with the parent theme without the child theme. And nothing.
    Post edited by CFP on
  • AirAir
    Like I said, turn off everything that can be affecting this, and even if raw theme don't work, then try reinstall it with newest copy from theme forest. You have to move it to simplest form, so we can figure out where the problem is.

With kind regards.
  • CFPCFP
    So! I tried everything.

I set up the whole thing more than once. Plain.
    Did changes restore my complete website. With the original domain it will NOT work and I don't know why!

I set all new on a second domain. And it works quite well!

So I need to run it on my prime domain. So I did all changes in WP for the prime one. Also in the wp-config, htaccess a.s.o. everywhere. And it seems OK. Ok, its a mix of two domains, because I set the logo on the second domain. And now I can not change the settings for the logo to pic it again with the correct domain...

But now I can not change any setting via the settings panel. If I, everything will crash! I know that, because (ok I did that very often since monday ;-) ) all settings value fields are empty.

So it MUSST be something with the domain name and I wonder what?
  • AirAir
    Can you send me access to problematic installation so I could take a look what is happening in code then. Maybe indeed it is domain thing and you have now cross domain AJAX there, and it crashes settings.
    You could also switch to "twenty sixteen" theme, as it also uses customizer, and check if there options shows up correctly.

Please send me temporary access to your WordPress and FTP so I could check there what is going on? Send it here on forum via private message(click on my nick, in top-right corner you will find option "Message"). In message please attach LINK to topic it applies to.

By sending access to WordPress I mean:
    -create new ADMIN account with fake e-mail
    -set some password to this account
    -send me created login and password

With kind regards.
  • AirAir
    This is what I see when I first get to your site. Maybe it would be good idea to drop https for now?
    screenshot-www friedsamphoto com 2016-06-02 10-15-06.png
    1920 x 974 - 26K
  • CFPCFP
    Ok, it's solved now! Thank you!