Before you ask please READ THIS

Changing Portfolio URL causes problems showing portfolio items

edited December 2011 in Airlock Posts: 16
I bought the Airlock theme from ThemeForest.

Currently I am having problem with trying to rename the portfolio section. When I had it with "portfolio" as the link, it worked fine. Now i have a new link and my slug in the portfolio section of AirLock settings is also set to the new name url and when I create a new portfolio item, and try to test the link of that, it shows fine. But on the actual portfolio section it does not list the items any more. Some things have lead me to believe that it is still loading items that were created while I had the portfolio url set to "portfolio". But now I do not see any of my new items in the new portfolio url. How can I fix this?

Secondly, I wanted to suggest to you that there should be the ability to have the full portfolio item in the portfolio list be clickable, just like the blogs are fully clickable. I am not using image preview so it does not make sense for there to be just one icon in the middle and the whole thing to not be clickable. It will be great if I can show the blog icon on there instead of the cogs/gears icon which is currently there. Because gear icons usually mans "settings".

Comments

• AirAir
    Hey.

If you are changing portfolio slug after adding portfolio items you will get nowhere, just as described in documentation "Before you start you have to decide how you wish your portfolio slug will look in Portfolio slug name". Wordpress will look for posts saved in database by name of slug. Second case is that, there were some bugs with renaming portfolio slug that we discovered today, so there could be some problems even if you renamed it on start.

About second case, we are working at it at the moment and we will take in account your suggestion. Thanks a lot!

With regards.
  • ok, I am pretty sure I had used the name I want to use for the slug at start when I was setting up the theme, but when things did not work, I renamed it to "portfolio" and it seemed to work. Going back to the name I wanted just messed this up. Anyways, I went back to renaming it to "portfolio", then deleted the item I had created when it was set to "portfolio" earlier.

I can try the fix you are working on. Will it be available soon?

Meanwhile, what do you suggest I should do right now? there is still a way to use the custom name for portfolio that I wanted to, right?
    I'm having the same issue here (the slug bug).

Is there a quick fix for this? Maybe I can do it myself if you can't release a stable version.
    It's very important for me to get it right today, if possible.
  • AirAir
    There is no quick fix. Version 1.3 will be available in few hours of development(it may appear in 24 hours, as ThemeForest is a bit slow lately), and it will change the way that portfolio post type is handled. It is due to 3 things:
    -adding pagination to portfolio
    -bugs in custom slugs
    -new knowledge about custom post types.

I'm sorry you are getting affected by this situation. We just couldn't know how users will use portfolio type and so we added experimentaly slug changing option. As it is to close to core of Wordpress engine it was a bit risky as we can see.

With regards.
    Hm, I see.

Just to make sure I'll be able to suit this theme to my need after the 1.3 release:

1. There will be a pagination system for the portfolio, just like the regular existing system on the blog (navigation buttons on top and bottom of the listing page) . Correct?
    2. I will be able to point the 'portfolio' posts to a custom URL based on a different slug name, like mysite.com/custom-slug-name/post-1. Correct?

I'll be looking forward for this update! Thanks.
    Just to check.. Isn't there any hard code option for me to force the theme to look for a given slug instead of portfolio? I believe you do set that in a variable somewhere in the custom files for Airlock.
  • Has this fix been submitted to ThemeForest by now?
  • I have finished all work setting up my website and the only thing holding everything back now is the portfolio url naming, because of which we are also not entering portfolio items. I can see that the item has not been updated on ThemeForest yet.
    1. Was the updated submitted to ThemeForest? I ask this so that I at least how much I need to wait.
    2. How will the update work be patched in to my current set up of the website? My current set up of widgets and pages won't have to change right?
    3. Will I be able to change the portfolio URL right after the update?
  • AirAir
    Hey. Update was finished hour ago, and now we wait only for TF to add it. We hope they will add it quick.
    2. You won't to have to change anything except name of main portfolio page. More info here http://apollo13.eu/docs/airlock/#!/airlock_portfolio_settings (important note at top)
    3. Yes

Sorry for late answer. This portfolio thing gave me big headache to solve.
  • AirAir
    To felipe:
    Sorry for not answering your right away, but at that time things were still unclear, what it will be like finally. The problem was nice addresses in wordpress, and we had to decide which way would be better to go.
    Your points 1 nad 2 are correct, but change of slug can be done before you insert any portfolio items, or you will lost your works. It is same, as you would like to change slug 'post' for blog posts - all your posts will be lost for viewer. That is why there is no possibility to change it in WP :-P

Hope everything will work for you now.

With regards,
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 422
    Hello Guys

1.3 is ready to download.

Remember to readthis before update: http://support.apollo13.eu/discussion/39/airlock-ver.-1.3-updated-06.12.2011-very-important-note#Item_1 !

Best Daniel
    Post edited by Daniel on
    Lead Graphic Designer
  • Thanks Daniel.

I have installed the "Easy Theme and Plugin Upgrades" suggested in the documentation for upgrading the theme. What should I do next? Just upload the theme Zip file in the Appearance > Themes > Add New ? Will all my site configurations, pages, widgets etc remain intact and saved? Making a back up of the whole site before upgrading will take a lot of time, do you think I need to do it?
  • AirAir
    This plugin make same thing as you would manual delete airlock theme folder and upload it again. All settings are saved in theme. Only things you will loose, are things you changed in theme files. I don't think you made any changes there.
    Backup is up to you. Won't force to anything, but I think that copy of wordpress folder and database export is:
    1. Good practise.
    2. Life(hours) saver.
    3. Take less time then waiting for answer that is copy of documentation.

With regards.
  • Thanks. The upgrade worked for me and solved the issue.