Before you ask please READ THIS

Theme update without losing changes

Hi there,

I'm new to Wordpress and wanted to check that my changes to the FatMoon theme won't be lost when I update.

I have so far only been making changes through the Visual Composer / WPBakery Page Builder and not through the CSS section (I am not likely to be changing code as I'm not a developer and not familiar with code).

I have needed to update the theme once already and was following steps to copy my files to FTP so I could compare changes in case anything was lost. In the process, my theme actually ended up disappearing from my Wordpress account so I had to install the new update to get it back - I am happy to say that my changes to the website weren't lost.

Taking this into account, it looks like the theme changes I am making aren't affected by the update but I just wanted to double check and that I don't need to make a child theme? I have started making some more changes since so I'm hoping I won't lose these :)

Thanks,

Alison

Comments

• AirAir
    Hey there:-)

Thanks for asking about this :-)

Yes, if you don't make changes in code, but only in settings from panel, then you are safe, as they are stored in database.

Changes in code also can be safe when done in child theme, however they are still on higher risk of incompatibility between updates. More here http://apollo13.eu/docs/apollo13_framework_theme/#modification_of_theme

However as you don't plan on doing this, you don't have to worry.

With kind regards.
  • Great, thanks so much!

Alison