Before you ask please READ THIS

Translation in works

in Rife Posts: 127
Hi !

I created a translation for "previous"(on single work) and "all" (categories on works list), but it doesn't work. It's weird, cause it works fine with "next" which has been translated correctly.

I have created a po in theme/languages (btw, this 2 files are constantly disappearing with updates, is it normal ?)

Thank you !

Sophie

Comments

• Also, my logo disappeared : https://www.contentologue.com/formation-blog-professionnel/

Thank you !
  • One last thing (sorry) : can I delete the category menu on menu top bar ? Cause I don't use any, thank you !
  • AirAir
    Hello Sophie :-)

If you have other question that is on a different subject, please start a new topic next time. This way it helps other users find useful topics/questions/answers. Thanks:-)

To answer your questions:
    contentologue said: created a translation for "previous"(on single work) and "all" (categories on works list), but it doesn't work. It's weird, cause it works fine with "next" which has been translated correctly.
    Rather strange as there is only one translation for word "Previous". Maybe you could send me your translated version, so I could check?
    contentologue said: I have created a po in theme/languages (btw, this 2 files are constantly disappearing with updates, is it normal ?)
    Yes, it is normal if you do it in theme directory, as theme files are removed on update.
    Read about moving your translations to child theme https://rifetheme.com/help/docs/translations/translating-theme/

contentologue said: Also, my logo disappeared
    I can see your logo fine. Maybe refresh cache, or check as not logged in user?
    contentologue said: One last thing (sorry) : can I delete the category menu on menu top bar ?
    I believe you mean "hidden sidebar"? Just go to widgets and remove any widgets from "Hidden sidebar" section - https://rifetheme.com/help/docs/basic-setup/widgets-sidebars/

With kind regards.
  • Hi ! Sorry for answering late.

Translation :

Ok, thank you. I cannot attach a .po file on the forum apparently. How can I send it ? Or maybe I can just send you my ftp ?

Logo disappeared :

I still can't see my logo. See attach file. And same with other computer or mobile.

Hidden sidebar : perfect, thank you !
    nologo.PNG
    1901 x 111 - 9K
  • AirAir
    Hye Sophie!
    contentologue said: Ok, thank you. I cannot attach a .po file on the forum apparently. How can I send it ? Or maybe I can just send you my ftp ?
    Just zip it before attaching. Zip both .mo & .po files.
    contentologue said: Logo disappeared :
    Like I have siad before, I can see your logo fine on FireFox & Chrome. Please check it as not logged in user. Maybe you have something else displaying while logged in?
    I assume so, cause I see only one position in your menu, while you see five.

There is a chance you have different header color variant set there so good try would be to check option Use logos from header variants here https://rifetheme.com/help/docs/customizing-the-theme/header/logo/
    Or disable header color variants at all here http://rifetheme.com/help/docs/customizing-the-theme/header/variant-light-dark-overwrites/

Just guessing :-)

With kind regards.
  • Ok ! Here is the zip file.

For the logo, I'm sorry, but no logged or set logo in header color variants dark or light, doesn't change anything. See attached file.

(I don't use header color variants, but I set it in customization anyway.)

Thanks !

zip
    zip
    Trad blogonomia.zip
    nologo.PNG
    1898 x 973 - 277K
  • AirAir
    OK :-)

About translation:
    I have used your files and I had the same problem, but after I have edited your translation and resaved it, it worked fine for "Previous". So you should do the same, and it will work :-)

About the logo:
    OK, I finally know what is the issue. You probably have a computer with high DPI screen as I also don't see your logo on mobile(which also have High DPI screen). I also see you have not set logo for such screens.
    You can set it in Appearance → Customize → Header Settings → Logo → Image for HIGH DPI screen

With kind regards.
  • I edited and resaved 5 times, nothing changes. I even deleted it, and reuploded it. I also deleted it from main theme and keep only french in child theme.

Well, for the "previous", I don't know, cause I can't see it for now (other topic), but for example, the works category called "All" doesn't change.

Thank you ! :)
  • AirAir
    Please be sure, you are uploading fr_FR.mo file, as this is the one that WordPress uses(you don't even have to upload fr_FR.po).

In zip that you have sent me the fr_FR.mo file was much different than fr_FR.po version, and it was without translation for "Previous".

Next thing, if you are using a child theme, please upload your translations to rife-child-theme/languages

And the last thing that can interfere. Go to wp-content\languages\themes and check if there are any translations file for rife theme. If yes, delete them.

If you still will not be able to do it, I will try to login to your FTP, once I am in a safe location, on Monday.

With kind regards.
  • Please be sure, you are uploading fr_FR.mo file, as this is the one that WordPress uses(you don't even have to upload fr_FR.po).
    Well, I don't get why the mo is different than po, cause when I try to edit it, filezilla says "please only edit po file, then mo file will update automatically". And it's what I did, editing the po file...
    Next thing, if you are using a child theme, please upload your translations to rife-child-theme/languages
    Yes I did that.
    And the last thing that can interfere. Go to wp-content\languages\themes and check if there are any translations file for rife theme. If yes, delete them.
    No there is no rife theme translation there, but I deleted others themes translations, in case.

Well, I think I will wait until monday ! Thank you !
  • AirAir
    contentologue said: Well, I don't get why the mo is different than po, cause when I try to edit it, filezilla says "please only edit po file, then mo file will update automatically". And it's what I did, editing the po file...
    I didn't know FileZilla has the possibility to edit .po files. Anyway now we know, where the issue could be.

I have checked files that you have uploaded on 3rd August and again there was no translation for "Previous" in .mo file.
    I have made it for you, uploaded and checked - it works now.

I suspect your filezilla chests you ;-) and try to upload the file before it is generated, and that is why you end up with not translated file.

Anyway, try to upload .mo file manually after you save your translation on your computer.

This way you will be safe and save a lot of time and hair ;-)

With kind regards.
  • Ok, thank you very much for helping.

Well, the software I use is poedit, but I do it directly on Filezilla (right click/edit with poedit), and sorry, I made a mistake by saying it was a message of Filezilla, it's a message of Poedit of course, which does not want me to edit mo file (btw, how do you see inside a mo file ?)

And yes, I edited manually on my computer (like 3 times) and reuploaded it (mo and po), but that did nothing...So the mistery remains unsolved. Maybe its more a poedit problem ?
  • AirAir
    You can edit .mo file with notepad++ for example, but it is a compiled file, so it is not fully readable.

What I can advice more:
    1. Get just your .po file and put it in empty folder.
    2. Edit it to translate the new string.
    3. Save changes.
    4. There should appear .mo file in that folder, and it should have all the translated strings.
    5. Upload this .mo file.

Hard to say what happens that you can not have proper .mo file, sorry :-)

With kind regards.
  • Oh ok, so I have to regenerate the mo file each time I want to translate right ?

Do you have another tool you are using or can advise me ?

THanks !
  • AirAir
    contentologue said: Oh ok, so I have to regenerate the mo file each time I want to translate right ?
    Yes, as .mo is translation file that is used by WordPress, other files are just for humans, so they can be used to generate .mo file.
    contentologue said: Do you have another tool you are using or can advise me ?
    I only use Poedit. Your problem is on level of moving file to server, not in Poedit(unless there is configuration issue).

With kind regards.
  • So it's more a filezilla problem ? (I never had this problem before, always used that method, so I don't get what changed...)
  • AirAir
    I don't know where is problem Sophie.

I have explained to you when is generated the proper .mo file. Try my way, pointed above, and check if your translation will appear on site. Then you will be able to find who tricks you;-)

I think it is more "overlooked" thing, then real issue of any software :-)
  • Ok, maybe I'ill find out one day... :) Thank you.