Before you ask please READ THIS

Simplest way to change color scheme site wide?

edited September 2018 in Rife Posts: 30
Hi guys, after making some customizations and drilling down into the various CSS between theme, sliders, etc (sheesh!). Also, I'm rusty, it's been a while between stylesheets.
I can't find one place to change the CSS sitewide.
Override all through Child style.css?
Could I get some examples?
I.e. rgb(221, 23, 74) browsers tells me in styles.css but I can't find.

Can't find docs breaking down which CSS files do what in RIFE. I'm using January theme.

Ideally I just want to change color scheme sitewide, as simply as possible, could u give me some tips to save me time?

I'm using a child theme.

:)
Morgan
Post edited by m0rg5 on

Comments

• AirAir
    Hey Morgan :-)

What do you mean by color scheme?

Most of the settings are done by customizer( https://rifetheme.com/help/docs/customizing-the-theme/how-to-use-customizer/ ), and they are later reflected in user.css file.
    See this http://rifetheme.com/help/docs/modifications-of-theme/custom-css/

So generally you should be doing changes by theme settings, and if something is not in settings, either use custom CSS filed or child theme CSS.

With kind regards.
    Hey again,

Let me try to be clearer :wink:

1. I know how to use Customizer, also CSS.

2. It's overly complicated to change site colors:
    When I change General settings/Content styles for links I get no change on menu.
    The menu section doesn't even have menu colors (why!?).
    Color changes are all over the place in Customizer, between between headers and other sections.
    The main CSS doesn't even have the menu color - rgb(221, 23, 74);
    So, again, what stylesheet does this menu style come from?

(see: confusing).
  • AirAir
    m0rg5 said: When I change General settings/Content styles for links I get no change on menu.
    Sure, as menu have its own settings: https://rifetheme.com/help/docs/customizing-the-theme/header/main-menu/
    m0rg5 said: The menu section doesn't even have menu colors (why!?).
    Beacause it is deafault WordPress section, not theme one. In this section you only create your menu structure. It is how WordPress is designed.

m0rg5 said: Color changes are all over the place in Customizer, between between headers and other sections.
    Yes. With setting we could go 2 ways: group settings by what they do(colors, sizes, switches on/off) or group them based on "component". We have decided to go with the later one, and so far it worked for our users. I would love to have both "grouping" ways but that is not possible currently.
    m0rg5 said: The main CSS doesn't even have the menu color - rgb(221, 23, 74);
    So, again, what stylesheet does this menu style come from?
    Could you show me link to your page? I believe it is probably inline style. Also if you can show me on screen shot which element is it?

With kind regards.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 30
    m0rg5 said: The menu section doesn't even have menu colors (why!?).

Beacause it is default WordPress section, not theme one. In this section you only create your menu structure. It is how WordPress is designed.
    I meant: Customising/Header settings/Main Menu

The main issue was that this section DIDN'T have menu colours before, no idea why, it does now (update?), so that resolves that.

Why are there inline styles?
    Post edited by m0rg5 on
  • AirAir
    m0rg5 said: Why are there inline styles?
    It depends. By inline I mean block in tags <style>, not styles entered in style="" attribute.

This can be used when you don't have active our companion plugin, that moves these settings to user.css file.
    Also, it is used for page specific styles that overwrite general styles. For example, different title-bar, album specific settings, etc.

I am going silent for a weekend, so if anything I will catch you on Monday. Happy weekend!

WIth kind regards.