Before you ask please READ THIS

Problem with kenburn single gallery frontpage and Home page

idaida
in FatMoon Posts: 46
Hello,
I have a problem with my website. I chose a "Kenburn single gallery" as Frontpage and an empty static page as "Home". When clicking "Home" the "Kenburn single gallery" is displayed as in the Frontpage of the BRONX demo.
Now the problem is that when translating the theme into other languages, the translated HOME pages remain empty and do not display the selected Kenburn Single Gallery.
And if I use the language switcher, the foreign language versions won't display the link of the Homepage, but of the single gallery I chose as frontpage.

How can I solve this problem? Is there a way to display a single gallery with Kenburn effect just as on the BRONX demo on a WP page?

Thanks for assisting.
Kind regards, I.L.

Comments

• AirAir
    Hey :-)
    ida said: How can I solve this problem? Is there a way to display a single gallery with Kenburn effect just as on the BRONX demo on a WP page?
    You can use a shortcode for this https://rifetheme.com/apollo13-framework/docs/content-management/shortcodes/slider/

ida said: Now the problem is that when translating the theme into other languages, the translated HOME pages remain empty and do not display the selected Kenburn Single Gallery.
    What plugin are you using for translating? I suspect the album is not being translated or something similar. Could you share a live link to your issue?

With kind regards.
  • idaida
    Hi, I am using WPML. The album is being translated. Indeed, when clicking the language switcher to the other languages the album is shown in the foreign languages - but with the link to the album, NOT with the link to the homepage.
    In the original language when clicking the main website "www.idalandsberg.net" the gallery is displayed, but when you translate it into the other languages the url becomes "https://www.idalandsberg.net/it/album/ida-landsberg-cantante-e-compositrice/", which is the URL of the gallery and not - as supposed to be - www.idalandsberg.net/it.
    This page remains empty.

Also another issue is that the menu in the foreign languages is displayed in dark letters and not light ones as in the original. This means that you cannot read anything in the translated versions...
    Kind regards,
    Ida
  • AirAir
    ida said: Also another issue is that the menu in the foreign languages is displayed in dark letters and not light ones as in the original. This means that you cannot read anything in the translated versions...
    I believe you will have to change the header color variant in the page options to match what you have on your original homepage.
    https://rifetheme.com/apollo13-framework/docs/content-management/pages/pages-options/ it will be in the header tab.

ida said: the URL of the gallery and not - as supposed to be - www.idalandsberg.net/it.
    This page remains empty.
    It seems that this page is crashed, not empty, as there is no source code.

1. Is to possible for you to check PHP error log, to check what exactly is crashing?

2. Could you please send me temporary* access to your WordPress so I could check there what is going on? Send it here on the forum via private message(click on my nick, in top-right corner you will find option "Message"). In message please add LINK to topic it applies to.

By sending access to WordPress I mean:
    -create a new ADMIN account with a fake e-mail
    -set some password to this account
    -send me created login and password

*temporary - please delete this account after I am done, for your safety!

• idaida
    Dear Air, could you please let me know which parameters I need to use for the gallery shortcode for having a gallery on my page home displayed that is the same then on my actual Frontpage? (www.idalandsberg.net)
  • idaida
    P.S. The assistance of WPML said the following:

"Hey Ida,

I checked the option from Appearance → Customize → General Settings → Front page area. It seems that the theme has its own custom logic for adding an album to the homepage, which might not be compatible with WPML.

I looked for any mention about WPML on the theme documentation and all I could find is this:
    http://www.apollo13.eu/docs/fatmoon/#translating_theme_wpml

It looks like they mentioned only the basic things, but they might've not tested each option of the theme, to make sure that it works fine with WPML.

Also, this theme is not a part of the WPML compatible themes list (https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/), which means that there might be some compatibility issues here and there, like the one you have.

In this case, what I would recommend is to reach out to the theme authors and ask them to apply for the Go Global program (https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/go-global-program/). This way, they will work with our compatibility team and make sure that all the options of the theme are compatible with WPML.

I tried to look for some other changes or tricks to make this work, but I couldn't find anything to do the trick. I'm afraid that only by making some changes on the theme side will make the homepage work fine in all the languages.

Thanks"

This is quite unpleasant, because I knew the theme was ready for translation... and I am now experiencing this major issue and paid also extra for the assistance on your theme.... :-( Thank you for your quick reply and kind regards,
    Ida

• AirAir
    Hey ida :-)

I am sure this worked fine, but it seems something has changed.
    I have now tested and for me it works fine after small code change.

1. So I made the album and set it as a front page, as you did.
    2. Next I made translation of this album in the another language.
    3. I made this small code change, that will also be added in the next update:
    File: fatmoon\advance\utilities\core_fe.php line ~500
    Change this line:
    if ( 'page' == get_option( 'show_on_front') && get_option( 'page_on_front' ) && ($query->query_vars['page_id'] === get_option( 'page_on_front' ) ) ){
    to
    if ( 'page' == get_option( 'show_on_front') && get_option( 'page_on_front' ) && ($query->query_vars['page_id'] == get_option( 'page_on_front' ) ) ){

The difference is at the end it changes === to == - It is softer compare with type casting.

Sorry for the issue. I am sure this worked fine, however something had to change somewhere.

Please let me know did this work for you, as I am just after testing this live. If there will still be any problem I will try to work on your installation :-)

With kind regards.
  • idaida
    Hi Air, I copied the code and now the www.idalandsberg.net/fr versions are not empty anymore but are displaying the gallery I chose.

There are still some smaller "bugs", let's say, in the theme, as the empty homepage that I chose as a Frontpage is translated but cannot be added to the foreign menus. I therefore created a custom link to the versions www.idalandsberg.net/fr /it /de and named them "Home" in order to add them to the menus.
    Is there a way to have "Home" recognized as a page in the foreign languages or do I need to leave this custom link?

Also I am not able to have the menus in the foreign languages displayed in light letters instead of dark ones.

And the initial gallery of the Homepage / Frontpage has 4 images, while on the foreign versions it's missing the first photo - saying the photo doesn't exist. But I controlled - the image is existing in the English version. But is missing in the translated ones. :-( The other 3 are displayed though.

Thank you for checking.

If you require my wordpress access, I can of course give it to you.
    Kind regards, Ida
  • AirAir
    hi Ida!
    ida said: I copied the code and now the www.idalandsberg.net/fr versions are not empty anymore but are displaying the gallery I chose.
    Good to hear!
    ida said: Is there a way to have "Home" recognized as a page in the foreign languages or do I need to leave this custom link?
    It is the best way to use a custom link in this case, if adding a normal frontpage doesn't work or is not possible.
    ida said: Also I am not able to have the menus in the foreign languages displayed in light letters instead of dark ones.
    Please choose proper header color variant in the translated album in album options
    https://rifetheme.com/apollo13-framework/docs/content-management/albums-works-post-types/album-options/
    Go to Header → Header color variant.
    I am not sure why this option is affected in your case.
    ida said: And the initial gallery of the Homepage / Frontpage has 4 images, while on the foreign versions it's missing the first photo - saying the photo doesn't exist. But I controlled - the image is existing in the English version. But is missing in the translated ones. :-( The other 3 are displayed though.
    Interesting. If you will "re add" this image to the translated album(select it from the media library) does it fix the issue?

With kind regards.
  • idaida
    Dear Air,

it is not the Header of the Album that is dark, but the whole menu. How can I change this?

I will try to add this image again.

Kind regards,
    Ida
  • idaida
    I tried to insert the photo again, but in the foreign versions of the media files, it seems that a lot of photos are missing! How comes? How can we fix this?
    Schermata 2020-12-16 alle 17.15.36.png
    1133 x 606 - 372K
  • AirAir
    Hey :-)

I have been on your website, and I can not find where you have this dark menu. Could you give me direct links so I could compare?
    ida said: I tried to insert the photo again, but in the foreign versions of the media files, it seems that a lot of photos are missing! How comes? How can we fix this?
    Interesting looks like some specific glitch. Does the album work as it should after adding the missing photo?
    Let's get back to this issue after we solve this dark menu issue.

With kind regards.