Before you ask please READ THIS

Update

edited December 2011 in Airlock Posts: 7
What is the best way to update the theme whithout losing any settings?

Comments

Does Airlock support child theme?
  • AirAir
    For sure not fully. Not tested, maybe extending Apollo13 class will do most of work.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 4
    I have a bit to contribute to this @Apollo13_coder. Can you put $apollo13->start() inside of an init function and use add_action('init', 'function_name') instead of calling it directly? This would make overriding the class without changing the file easier.

For now, I have added my own actions in a child theme to include my own CSS file.

I could change the theme to show you what I mean and generate a patch if you'd like.

Also, though, avoid private properties and methods in the class so it's easier to override...unless you're really sure :)

Hope this helps...let me know if I can explain anything better.
    Post edited by waptech on
  • AirAir
    Hi waptech.

Thanks for tips. There is only one private property and for sure it should be this way:-)
    So first change will really make theme more compatible with child themes? I must test it someday.

Thanks for your time in that matter.

With regards.
  • Yeah, it'll totally help because WordPress runs the parent theme's functions.php first, meaning that a child theme might as well not even extend the Apollo13 class - Apollo13::start will always have already been called!

This way, the child theme can remove your init action and add its own if needed, potentially instantiating a subclass instead.

Thanks for replying!
  • AirAir
    Ooo yes I know that, but now that you putted it this way it make really nice sense in term of usability :-)

Thanks, I will check that for sure :-)
  • AirAir
    Init action is not good for this thing, as it mess things. Instead of it I have used construction from wordpress codex:
    $apollo13 = new Apollo13();
    if(!function_exists('lets_play_apollo_game')) {
    function lets_play_apollo_game(){
    global $apollo13;
    $apollo13->start();
    }
    }

lets_play_apollo_game();
    Thanks for pointing this out!
  • Hmm...but won't that still do the same thing? How will that let child themes intercept Apollo13::start? One would still have to edit the parent's functions.php because the parent's functions.php is run first (or am I wrong?).

I'd be interested (for my own purposes as well) what page on the codex you referenced.

Thanks so much for your responsiveness..
  • AirAir
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes#Using_functions.php

Define function lets_play_apollo_game in fucntions.php in child theme, and in parent it wont run.
  • Ah, I see. I didn't know the child's functions.php was loaded first! Quite clever. Thanks.