Before you ask please READ THIS

Custom page

edited January 2013 in Hypershot Posts: 38
Hey again..
I hate to bother you guys again, but I've been trying to make a new page for a specific category of posts.

A simple menu link with the category won't do, because I would like to write some stuff before the posts are displayed and give the page a custom title.

I tried messing around with the tutorials here:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Pages 'A Page of Posts', but I can't seem to figure out the theme's structure.

I want to make a new page template which will only display a certain category of posts, but leaves me room to customize the page a bit; a small text before the displaying of the posts and a custom title or maybe add a slider for example.

Or is it possible to use the default page template and just add a php code in the page editor?
Hope I'm not asking too much. If I am, just say so!!

Cheers

Comments

• AirAir
    Hi again ;-)

Copy file archive.php and name it category-slug.php where slug is slug of your category(you will find it in category edit menu in Posts).

Now you can edit your new created file :-)

With regards.
    Not quite sure I follow you.
    I copied the archive.php and named it category-*slug*.php. I placed it in the theme folder, but I can't select it as a page template.
    What am I missing?
  • AirAir
    Just link your category in menu. You can't do it with Pages menu, or rather it is much harder, and I will not explain all to you about it.
    With method from my previous post you can edit then PHP file and put your content there, but now I understand that it could be as hard for you as making above solution.

Sorry can't help you farther with it.

With regards.
    I think I understand what you mean. I would have to use html and css inside the category-slug.php to create the page that I want.
    I will give it a try.
    Thanks for your time!
    Sorry, one last thing. Could you maybe please tell me the div 'class' and/or 'id' for the 'white box'.
    For instance, in this page: http://themes.apollo13.eu/hypershot/static-header/
    the header and the text 'What is Lorem Ipsum?', etc. is inside the 'white box'. What is the div 'class' and/or 'id' for the 'white box'?
    Hope you can help me out :D
    I'm using the div class 'archive-item' now and it works :)
  • AirAir
    I think best overview on classes you will have when you click F 12 in FireFox or Chrome, or by betting to source ctrl + U:-)

With regards.