Before you ask please READ THIS

Social Icons Colour Set Hypershot

edited February 2013 in Hypershot Posts: 20
Hello;

The g+ colour social icon is greyed out with a tiny strip of colours along the top
-- I don't know what that is when I look at it.

Is the g+ social icon supposed to look this way? Please see the attached image, second icon.

Thank you for making the 500px icon, I needed that one too :)

I opened it up and it looks like a regular png file. Is it?
Can I edit these icons in a graphics program like Illustrator or Fireworks?
If so, is there anything special in the file save settings that I need to know other than 24x24px bicubic?

Thank you.
FireShotPro_socialicons_gplus_colours.png
212 x 26 - 4K
Post edited by sapere_aude on

Comments

• AirAir
    Hello
    sapere_aude said: Is the g+ social icon supposed to look this way?
    To be honest I don't know :-) Designer prepared, Air inserted ;-)
    sapere_aude said: is there anything special in the file
    Nope, just ordinary PNG file.

PS.
    Here is our model http://boldperspective.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/google-plus-icon.png

With regards.
  • Thank you.

Maybe that model is good for large icons but for the small circle maybe not so good. I'll see what I can do. I don't want to have the user have to mouse hover to figure out what the icon is for.

Meanwhile I switched back to the white social set. I like the white or black better but its hard to read them. Maybe making the image/letter larger inside the circle would help.

I think I see why the icons need to be small, though... because they need to be small for retina and mobile.
  • AirAir
    sapere_aude said: I think I see why the icons need to be small, though... because they need to be small for retina and mobile.
    Yup :-) You can even make 32x32px to gain best sharpness on retina, but it increase file size, and 24px look sharp enough (in our opinion), or rather it is good balance of quality and file size:-)

• Thank you Air.

Until I have more time for now I made the g+ larger on the white icon -- it is not perfect but easier to read for me. These icons are really a nuisance to make.

Making a colour version will take a lot more time.

It's attached here if anyone wants it. I don't have an inverse function to quickly
    make a black version.

I don't know how it looks on retina though. :/
    Feedback would be good before I do any work on the other ones to match it.
    I have it uploaded on my site if you want to see it. www.origicine.com/preview
    googleplus.png
    24 x 24 - 497B
  • AirAir
    It looks a bit more blurry then other icons. See screen shot.

With regards.
    s.png
    691 x 209 - 39K
  • Thanks Air, I'll change that :)
  • Hello Air;

I attached a zip of a sample of my icon designs with larger image centers.

The only one left is YouTube which is a total nightmare of a design to work on.
    It seems impossible to get clear text on the 24px size icon.

I made these icons a bit larger file size and two sizes 24 and 32px ... all in black because I found it is impossible to work in white -- too hard to see.

I created a few more icons; Stipple and Connect me

Would you please check with retina and advise if they look sharp?
    I am also wondering if 32px is too large px and/or filesize for mobile?

If these are good I'll go ahead and make the white set. There must be an easy way to change the black Illustrator file to white and some way to automatically export each icon as pngs from the drawing sheet -- I need to figure these out yet. As it is there are 66 to cut out and save, one at a time :/

After creating the AI vector file with paths for the images I now wish I had put each element on a sep. layer -- a noob mistake; live and learn ;)

Thank you
    zip
    zip
    Hypershot_SOCIALMedia-Icons_rework2013FE26.zip
  • AirAir
    Hello:-)

Sorry don't have time for it(plus renaming every icon to make it work). Insert all of it on your site, activate all this social links, and I will post you screen shot.
    But they look better as I scanned them :-)
    sapere_aude said: I am also wondering if 32px is too large px and/or filesize for mobile?
    Don't worry too much about it, there is worse things then file size - request for every image separately. We should do it as sprite image, but it could be overkill for people who only link one social:-)

With regards.