Before you ask please READ THIS

Child theme.

Hi,
im a newbie and have one more question. is making child theme necessary? because i installed demo, and modified the theme already according to my needs. but now i figured out that i should install a child theme. and if i install child theme - then all my modifications will be lost? as far as i understood - making child theme is necessary if i want to update the theme. Do I really have to update it? is it necessary for security of my website for example? Ive read somewhere that if i dont update theme - then i might get viruses on the website - is it really so?

I really would appreciate your help.

Comments

• AirAir
    edited September 2015 Posts: 10,970
    Hello:-)

You don't have to update, but yes there are sometimes some security updates, but rather not so critical.

Making all changes in child theme also doesn't solve everything. It is rather good solution for small changes in templates, but not good solution for changes in theme framework, or JavaScript, unless you know WordPress well enough to do it:-)

Anyway, if you only made changes in theme options, then nothing will be lost. If you made changes in code and still want to use child theme, then read our instruction how to overwrite changes in CSS and PHP http://apollo13.eu/docs/blame/#!/modification_of_theme

Hope this answers somehow your questions,

With kind regards.
    Post edited by Air on
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 5
    i greatly appreciate your help. no i didnt touch the code, i only downloaded demo and changed few colors of this demo and added texts of course and removed few items.so then nothing will be lost and i can peacefully install child theme - like the texts will not be removed? :-)Thanks again for your advise and help
    Post edited by KarunkaM on
  • AirAir
    Nothing from theme settings will be removed when you switch to child theme. You will have to just set menu locations after theme switch. When something will not work you can always switch back to main theme.

With kind regards.