Before you ask please READ THIS

4K images (3840px on the long side) are make Firefox hang CPU on 100%

I am using the latest version of Hypershot want to make photography website. I want perfect view for 4K monitors/TVs so I export the images which I upload to the website at 3840px on the long side so (3840px X 2563px) at MAX size 1MB per image. I upload them and add them to my main page in a FAVORITES album with "ZOOMING" transition type. There are few problems:

1. CPU raises to 100% (with smaller images 2560x1600 does not).
2. CPU still keeps 100% even AFTER I close the TAB or the whole Firefox. Also the firefox.exe process still goes on, after Firefox is closes entirely. I need to go to task manger and close it manualy. Tried on few different computers (latest firefox 45.0 with the latest Windows 10)
3. Transitions are very choppy, images are flashing from time to time (even with small images 1600px and below, 512kb and below)

Please fix the "ZOOMING" transition type to be smooth and slick like (Kenburn gallery on Frame theme - http://www.gt3themes.com/demo/?theme=Frame WP).
Please fix the size/resolution problem so I can use larger images for best 4k viewing...

Otherwise this is my FAVORITE theme, and I am glad I bought it, here is my site to test the problems (http://www.vimastudio.com/demo)
Regards,
Alex

Comments

• AirAir
    Hello there:-)

Your points 1 and 2 are more to report to browser makers then us.

About point 3. I will check if we can move it to special library that can make such animation much smoother, but it will add 100Kb or more to every page load what is not really desired in Hypershot theme.
    This is not connected to to size of image, it was choppy even with small images ;-)
    alexvaltchev said: Please fix the size/resolution problem so I can use larger images for best 4k viewing...
    Animating such big images in browser is very heavy duty for browser. I don't think if it will be much better even if we move this process to library I have mentioned above.

My personal opinion:
    This is overkill to use such photos, even if they are 1MB files size. On site/theme you mentioned in your request they use images like 1280x800, and there is very good reason for that:
    Animating 12 746 752(4k) pixels will be much slower then doing it for 1 024 000(1280x800) pixels. At least 12 times.

Your point 1 and 2 are caused directly by using such big images and there is no magic I can do there. Try using different transition or better no transition at all if you must use such big images. You can choke every browser if you use big enough data source :-)

With kind regards.
  • I am a graphic designer and photographer not a developer but I do understand your point. I see why you would say is more like Firefox problem, since it does not happen in Edge or Chrome. I lowered the images to 2048px (same resolution Facebook recommends and I use for best viewing experience). As a photographer I would prefer the best possible viewing experience without the theme interfering with it, therefore I would appreciate anything you can do to assist me build such site. With the smaller size 2048px and 512kb even Firefox is not crashing or running slow, but its still choppy when using "Zooming", which is my desired transition of choice. I have a friend who can do some modification to the theme, so if you can make it easier to upgrade with that library without having to reinstall the whole theme it would be very much appreciated. Thank you again and looking forward for some upgrade :)
    Regards,
    Alex
  • Also, forgot to ask, why are the images flashing like a light bulb which is about to burn out? Its very very annoying and distracts and irritates the eye so much. Or sometimes even does not load the image at all... :( Thank you.
    Regards,
    Alex
  • AirAir
    First things first: very nice photos :-) They are clear even for such ignorant as me ;-)

Second thing: I can open your page only in firefox. In Chrome and Edge it is in coming soon mode.
    alexvaltchev said: Also, forgot to ask, why are the images flashing like a light bulb which is about to burn out? Its very very annoying and distracts and irritates the eye so much. Or sometimes even does not load the image at all... :( Thank you.
    Yes I see it. It is connected to both file size and size of image. As I checked they are still 4K at the moment.
    Loading image takes time, and as I measured on your site just now it can even take 5 seconds.
    Second thing is size of images. As we already know, it costs lot of processor power.
    Next thing is number of photos, mainly when they are in such big quality. Each of this photo is stacked in memory after it is loaded and it is not small amount. I am sure your site will crash on tablets after few photos are loaded, cause they limit memory there strictly. Phones also will have such issues.

What I would do knowing this limitations: Divide your photos to few albums and drop resolution. I would make like 15 photos per album.

You have to work to compromise speed and quality. Think about your viewer. I will bring cite from one of Hypershot users about creating albums http://apollo13.eu/docs/photon/#!/add_new_album :
    JackieR0 said: That is a real shame. For any other photographers that might read this post, there are two very important reasons to keep the images a reasonable size:

1) Loading time. The last thing you want when an agent or client is viewing your portfolio is for them to have to wait more than a split second for an image to load. With a 3MB image and even a reasonable connection speed these people will quickly move on and find another photographer for the job (especially if you have a number of images in your portfolio).

2) Discourage theft of your images. An 800px image will print at 300dpi on a 4x6 but no larger. This makes it more difficult for anyone to use your images without permission or payment. If you provide a 3MB image, you are asking for your work to be stolen. This happens ALL THE TIME.
    I understand your point and needs to deliver highest quality possible to show how good you are. However I believe what you can show on paper and on WEB differs a lot as needs in both cases are different.

Give me some time to fix the zooming choppiness. I will try to do it next week. If it will be done earlier I will inform you.

With kind regards.
  • Thank you for your help and support, you are great! :) I forgot to mention I have another site (one for company and one personal) both are photography. I have a friend helping on the personal do some modification as needed as is not pure hypershot theme (www.alexvaltchev.com/demo). VimaStudio.com is pure hypershot. And we are planning to launch in the beginning of next month, so I will drop the DEMO. On alexvaltchev.com the images are 2048px @ 512kb MAX and run nice except the "zooming" transition. There and are not flashing. I have many different albums there. My only main concern besides the chipping is images not loading sometime on my main page.

Also, I would like to FORBID "zooming" effect once they click on a different album and forbid from being able to be "played". I only wish to keep this zooming for the main page main album, not all albums. Is there a way? Thanks
    Regards,
    Alex
  • Thank you for the compliment for the photos as well. There are many more on we are planing to add (like 50-60 per album)
    Regards,
    Alex
  • One suggestion if I could make for the zooming besides getting smoother is to have a speed of the zooming 0 very slow 10 very fast possibly and images not disappearing and appearing but rather fading out and fading into each other while switching between each other :)
    Regards,
    Alex
  • AirAir
    alexvaltchev said: Also, I would like to FORBID "zooming" effect once they click on a different album and forbid from being able to be "played". I only wish to keep this zooming for the main page main album, not all albums. Is there a way? Thanks
    You can select type of transition in every album, so sure it is possible. You can switch also autoplay in each album, but you can't forbid it from being played.
    alexvaltchev said: images not disappearing and appearing but rather fading out and fading into each other while switching between each other :)
    You ask me about it again and again and I always explain to you that is it working this way right now - images are fading through each other while changing :-)
    Go to theme setting and increase setting I marked on screen shot, and then check again:

alexvaltchev said: One suggestion if I could make for the zooming besides getting smoother is to have a speed of the zooming 0 very slow 10 very fast
    As far as I remember it is now generated at random for every image, and I will leave it this way. Only control you have is to change Slide interval setting.

With kind regards.
    ss-2016-03-21_10-22-39.png
    1363 x 604 - 35K
  • Okay, I got it. Thank you gain for your help and support. I am waiting forward for the zooming fix which we talked about :)
    Regards,
    Alex
  • AirAir
    I have made update to theme, and now animation looks much better. They should add update on ThemeForest in few hours.

With kind regards.
  • Yeah I just got it. Now look much smoother. Most important, even the largest 4k size photos with 5MB size are not taxing the CPU and is not hanging. Everything works like a charm so far. I reduced the photos to 2048px and less than 512KB so is even better. Thank you so much, your help and support for the theme is phenomenal!
    Regards,
    Alex
  • One bug that I notice is when I click left mouse click to STOP the auto-play, the square icon for STOP shows then instead of stopping like before it stars rolling backwards. Did you notice that?
    Regards,
    Alex
  • Another bug I notice is now when I click from "main" album to another album the photos start stacking on top of each other and keep moving. Before, when I click from "main" to "portraits" for example it is not playing. I have global setting to autoplay OFF and only main album ON, because of the zooming. Thank you.
    Regards,
    Alex
  • AirAir
    Hello there:-)
    alexvaltchev said: instead of stopping like before it stars rolling backwards
    It is intended. When you want to play slider again after a while is starts smooth instead of jumping.
    alexvaltchev said: Another bug I notice is now when I click from "main" album to another album the photos start stacking on top of each other and keep moving. Before, when I click from "main" to "portraits" for example it is not playing
    Can you show me in live link what you mean?

With kind regards.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 27
    yeah sure. Go to www.alexvaltchev.com/demo to bypass the countdown. Then you will see the main album with autoplay ON. Click the bottom center icon "show thumbnails" and click album "Portraits" for example. Then pick a VERTICAL photo and you see them stack on top of each other and keep moving and zooming. Keep in mind I did disable zooming and autoplay in global settings for albums, and allowed it only for the main. Thanks
    Post edited by alexvaltchev on
    Regards,
    Alex
  • AirAir
    Dang it. I forgot about this feature with dynamic album changing. It will need some more work then. If you can then I advise to turn off this feature for now, until I fix it.

With kind regards.
  • Okay, no problem. Just let me know when is ready and which files to replace or edit so I dont lose all my customization again. Thank you agian.
    Regards,
    Alex
  • AirAir
    edited April 2016 Posts: 10,970
    Hi there.

I am not sure if I nailed your issue exactly, but I made some fixes for dynamic album loading. Please try this file:
    Unzip it, and upload it to hypershot\js

With kind regards.
    zip
    zip
    album-view-full.zip
    Post edited by Air on
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 27
    I replaced it and cleared the cache, but there are still 2 problems.

1. The photos are sitll stacking, instead of having clean gray background as it should.
    2. When I am on home with default category with zooming and click on different category, even without picking any image, the zooming stops. It should continue as before, until I pick an image. As soon as I pick up an image from a different category then should stop.

Thank you.

www.alexvaltchev.com - to see it live in action.
    Screenshot (18).png
    2560 x 1600 - 5M
    Post edited by alexvaltchev on
    Regards,
    Alex
  • AirAir
    alexvaltchev said: 2. When I am on home with default category with zooming and click on different category, even without picking any image, the zooming stops. It should continue as before, until I pick an image. As soon as I pick up an image from a different category then should stop
    It is how you desire it to work, but this is not how it will work by default. Changing album with this "Switcher" has its limits. However code is open for your modification.
    alexvaltchev said: 1. The photos are sitll stacking, instead of having clean gray background as it should.
    It doesn't for me. Have you done some modifications that could affect this?

With kind regards.
  • I am sorry, I did not get the part with the "switcher". I know nothing about code :) I have a friend helping me with some modifications as my desire. I am a graphic designer and photographer. Your theme is almost perfect for me, will say that again as I have seen and tried many many before I settle. Great job, you are awesome!!!
    Regards,
    Alex
  • AirAir
    I am glad you like it so much :-)

"Switcher" - I mean changing album while viewing different album :-) Option "Enable dynamic changing albums" to be precise.
    alexvaltchev said: I know nothing about code :) I have a friend helping me with some modifications as my desire.
    So there is possibility you have made some changes that could affect behavior of album. I have just tested once again on my installation and images don't stack on each other when changing albums. Maybe it only happens when specific settings are enabled?

With kind regards.