Before you ask please READ THIS

Hide Layout problem

edited November 2012 in Hypershot Posts: 6
Hi,
it seems that the "hide layout" button is just hiding too much in some views. For example (even on your demo website), when clicking hide layout on the homepage (that lists all albums), it will just hide everything but the background with all the gray triangles, which is not very interesting.
Same thing happens on any page or blog post or archive.

Is there a way to fix this to work properly everywhere, or only display the button on the pages where it does work, or get rid of it alltogether?
Thanks!
F.
Post edited by frsechet on

Comments

• AirAir
    Hello.

Nice that you started this thread:-) 'Hide layout' was made for hiding layout when there is set background album for some page or post, which is possible for most pages in our theme. Also it is necessary for video controls when item of album is video. That was plan in first place.

Just before releasing theme I have found that this may become not so obvious, and may get misleading when hiding content in pages without background album.
    Still I could switch to not hide post on blog page, not hide album on Albums list page, and so on but if anyone would setup background album for one of this pages I couldn't guess does user want to see background album, or just hide 'distracting' header and footer.

That is the story :-)

So we decided to release theme with default behaviour for time being, and than rethink this issue later. Still there is many things we want to upgrade in theme, and this one is also on our list.

Do you have any suggestions how to solve this dilemma?

About fix - if you tell me(considering my story) where would you want it to show(for example only on full size albums) then I could prepare CSS that will hide it elsewhere.

With regards.
  • Well, thanks for the explanation.
    In my opinion, it would have been better to release without a broken/incomplete feature and add it in the future, rather than having a confusing behavior like that... But I understand your dilemma.

My opinion is:
    On albums: hide layout makes the album use the full window, hiding top and bottom, period. If you make that button hide the album itself, what's the point???
    On pages/posts: if the page/post has a background album, make it one way or the other by default (that you can set in the theme options), but with the option for the user to change it for each single post if needed.
    If the page/post doesn't have a background album, just make it hide top/bottom.

Something like that. You could also make it just "hide top/bottom" globally by default, unless the user on single pages/posts/albums wants it to "hide everything" for some reason.

In the meantime... I'll just go ahead and get rid of it altogether in my footer... :-)
    Let me know what you do and when/if you plan to release an update!

F.
    There is even a worse problem, if someone is logged in the button show layout is not visible anymore it is hiding under the dashboard....this is critical.
    The other major problem is the controls of video, since you see them already a bit its really not in favour of useability if you cant control it (if someone doesnt see the sense in hiding it first to control the video) -this is also a critical issue.
    My suggestion would be the show layout button lower and bigger. Video position and size above the footer.
    I got more problems will post seperatelly. Yes please let me know when you plan an update, since i am rebuilding our own website (i liked your theme best) i would need to reconsider another theme.
  • AirAir
    frsechet said: In my opinion, it would have been better to release without a broken/incomplete feature and add it in the future, rather than having a confusing behavior like that
    It is not broken feature, cause it has major work to do for major element of our theme which is Albums :-)
    frsechet said: If you make that button hide the album itself, what's the point???
    As I explained only for sake of fullscreen album and fullscreen album background it was added. But you are right it shouldn't work this way if we mean intuitive interface.
    frsechet said: but with the option for the user to change it for each single post if needed.
    I don't feel this decision should be made by user, as then viewer of page might really get his mind twisted when once it hides content, and once just header and footer. I will think about it after finishing other issues, that our users addressed.

Thank for any suggestions in that matter.
    mlynek said: There is even a worse problem, if someone is logged in the button show layout is not visible anymore it is hiding under the dashboard....this is critical.
    Yup this could be an issue, but critical?:-) Turn off your toolbar in user settings:-) Good job noticing it!
    mlynek said: useability if you cant control it (if someone doesnt see the sense in hiding it first to control the video) -this is also a critical issue.
    Usability , love when you bring it to the table :-)
    First thing is that, when video has autoplay option enabled then 'Hide layout' will glow for 1.5 second.
    Other case is, where do you usually look for video controls? In the bottom right?;-) And they are not there! OMG! But what I can find there? 'Hide layout', yay! ;-)
    More serious - it is our layout decision and this our solution to such issue. If I could know of any better way that works cross browser, I would do it.

Anyway solution with video above footer would be a solution, but there I would get clients telling that their video is not full screen. I will take it in consideration:-)

Update- I have long things to do, and as I am spending time here, I don't know when other update will be ready, and if it will get solution for this issue in closest update. It all depends what users need more in first

With kindly regards, and big thanks for all your time, and explanations :-)
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 6

frsechet said: but with the option for the user to change it for each single post if needed.

air said: I don't feel this decision should be made by user, as then viewer of page might really get his mind twisted when once it hides content, and once just header and footer. I will think about it after finishing other issues, that our users addressed.

That's why I suggested you had a global option first, but still being able for some posts/pages to pick a particular behavior. I understand your point about the confusion for the user though (I don't completely agree because really, it depends on what you intend to do with this site), so if you absolutely do not want to have the user make that decision, make it automatic based on whether the page has a background album or not.

IMHO, on blog/post pages it is pointless to hide header/footer anyway. So if you really want my opinion on an automation process that is consistent and does not require the user to make any decision and that would still be coherent, it would be: on pages/posts that do not have a background album, don't even show that button. On pages/posts with a background album and on albums themselves, make it hide everything but the album itself.

And +1 for what mlynek said, the "show layout" button behind the admin bar is very annoying (but not quite as critical as the other problem as it only affects logged in users, not every reader of the content!)...

Post edited by frsechet on
  • AirAir
    frsechet said: IMHO, on blog/post pages it is pointless to hide header/footer anyway
    There is on place where it would be useful - viewing on mobile, hiding it would give some bonus pixels for view area ;-)

Agree with all you wrote. Thank for all your opinion, it really meters for me:-)

With regards.
  • True. But then a responsive layout is much more adapted than having to tap a button! ;-)

Anyway, are you going to implement those changes? Any ETA? (just to know whether I should get rid of the button or just wait...)
    Thanks!
  • AirAir
    frsechet said: Anyway, are you going to implement those changes?
    I think I answered that already:-)

I don't know what is 'ETA', but there is no release date yet, and closest update might not come with fixes for this issue. Probably next one will.

With regards.
  • ETA :-)

• I might also add here (but slightly off topic, adding to what mlynek had said before), that not only the "show layout" button are hidden by the admin bar, but also the "info bar" up top! You should probably add a 30px margin when user is logged in... :-)
  • AirAir
    Good point! Thanks for nice feedback!
    :-)