Before you ask please READ THIS

Cookie Banner and Opt-In ?

Hello,

do I understand the theme documentation correct, that the Cookie banner I can enable and edit, is always showing just the banner, but doesn't work as an opt-in consent tool?

Reason I'm asking is because judgement of EJC / EUGH implicates that no cookies are allowed to be set w/o prior opt-in by the visitor. This makes the current feature somehow a cosmetical feature as it's no longer GDPR compliant.

Tests occurred that, e.g. Polylang sets language selection cookie, regardless of any cookie banner acceptance by the visitor. So Polylang broadly ignores theme cookie settings.

Question #1: Is my understanding of the Cookie feature in them correct?
Question #2: Is there any easy workaround to convert this in an opt-in version, in order to get control of plugin cookies, e.g. to 'sandbox' Polylang so that this plugin doesn't set the cookie? What I could find at Polylang in FAQ is not helpful, as there answer on this seems to be outdated.

I thought I better post this here, as I imagine all EU-users of the theme have to face these aspects in order to be GDPR compliant also within the future.

Thanks in advance for clarification.

Comments

• AirAir
    Hello :-)

Thanks for your question.
    MLG76 said: do I understand the theme documentation correct, that the Cookie banner I can enable and edit, is always showing just the banner, but doesn't work as an opt-in consent tool?
    It wasn't made with GDPR in mind but in my opinion, it should be partly compliant with it. A cookie isn't set until a closing button is clicked. After 7 days message will show again if it was closed with this button.

We don't plan to expand it, as this is a plugin territory, and there are few plugins that make awesome work in this territory.

So you can treat it as cosmetic.

With kind regards.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 89
    Okay. Thank you very much for clarifying this.

I agree, it's quite complex and better in the hands of some plugin experts in order to be always compliant.

I assume your comment reg. no cookie is set prior accepting closing button is only affecting the general WordPress cookies? At least Polylang sets its 'pll_language' cookie independent from accepting this general cookie banner. So depending on the plugin, some seem to sneak around the 'main door'.

Post edited by MLG76 on
  • AirAir
    MLG76 said: I assume your comment reg. no cookie is set prior accepting closing button is only affecting the general WordPress cookies?
    Not even this. It was a regrading theme cookie for this mechanism. The theme doesn't control WordPress or plugins cookies at all.

With kind regards.
    Okay. Thanks once again for clarifying.