Before you ask please READ THIS

unordered list no indent

edited May 2013 in Skyfashion Posts: 28
Hi, I'm doing a simple unordered list, but both firefox (current v21) and IE8 not displaying default left indent? I looked in css, should there be a #navcontainer ul in layout.css? I'm still learning css, when searching for how to code ul and ol, I found a lot of references to modifying the navcontainer? I found list code in base.css but not sure what I would need to mod. would I add margin-left to this line ul { list-style: none outside; } ? I thought browsers supposed to default indent lists though? I did research this over an hour before asking, if you could help me with default behavior I very much appreciate your time, thank you! -Vicki

oh and this is code section for how I entered list on page:
<h2>Design</h2>
<ul>
	<li>Create an Atmosphere</li>
	<li>Room Layouts</li>
	<li>Accessorize</li>
	<li>Art/Photo installation/arrangements</li>
</ul>
unordered list indent.jpg
1200 x 1000 - 128K
Post edited by Air on

Comments

Hi VickiP,

Indent in lists are reset. If you like to do this you have to add padding for element 'li' only in content of post/page. For example:

#content ul li, #content ol li {
    padding-left: 45px;
    }

Please let me know if it works

With regards
  • Hi Argone, indent is working in updated/current skyfashion theme version, but now no bullets with unordered list, thought that was default behavior?? my client really wants the bullets, can you point me to which css file I need to mod to specify bullets pls?? thx so much for your help. can view list display here http://atmospheresflorida.com/test/?page_id=54
  • p.s. I never made the previous mod, had to reinstall site due to IE8 display issue, updated to current wp and skyfashion site and now indent works, but no bullets. just wanted to clarify, thx!
  • I tried searching for #content ul definitions, found in shortcodes.css, seemed most likely place. added list-style-type: disc; to line 208, which did display bullets on the services pg ul, but it caused bullets to show up on the front page??!

very frustrated here, would not have expected to mod the code for something like bullets for unordered list. pls tell me if shortcodes.css is correct file I need to mod, and which line/ul section. If theme is using ul for front page indenting, then not sure how to get around that. As far as I know, the ul behavior needs to be defined in css file, not in the wp page content, correct??

need a reply this week if possible please, my client is upset and wants to launch and doesn't understand why this is a problem :( thank you for your help!!
    really need help with this please....
    Hello, it's been a month since I asked for support on this, could someone please let me know this has even been read? Bullets on indents are default behavior, I need this functionality working and haven't been able to fix it on my own. Very frustrated at lack of any response in month or more on many of my outstanding support requests. Some communication would be appreciated, thank you!!
    Hi VickiP,

Use this CSS code in your common/css/skeleton/layout.css file
    #content ul li, #content ol li {
    list-style: disc;
    margin-left: 30px;
    }

Kind regards

ok I tried this, same problem. Theme front page layout must be using ul for layout, b/c bullets show up on the page when I try this code or any other fix to specify disc for list-style. screen shot attached. any way around this please? I need bullets for ul. thank you.
    bulleted list affects front page .jpg
    2500 x 2900 - 304K
    easier to see screenshot attached here
    bulleted list affects front page .jpg
    1112 x 1056 - 211K
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 493
    Hi VickiP,

Little correction:
    .page #content ul li , .page #content ol li {
    list-style: disc;
    }

Kind regards

Post edited by Argone on
    Hi Argone,
    Thank you, I totally thought this would do it, but still no bullets displaying in browser, I checked both Firefox and Chrome. :(

It does now display disc bullets in the page edit Visual display, screenshot attached. I made sure to ftp the new layout.css file in binary mode, that is correct yes? and I added this code block into the layout.css file, I didn't replace anything. I don't know why this isn't working, help, thank you!
    ul bullets edit window text.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 174K
    ul bullets edit window display.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 182K
    ul bullets browser display.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 118K
    Hi Vicki, i edited content of CSS file above. Please import it to your css file. If it still wont work please install this plugin:
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/my-custom-css/installation/

And catch me on priv msg.

Kind regards
    Hi Argone, I appreciate this but unfortunately this introduces the same problem with bullets on the front page where they shouldn't be, in addition to correcting the bullet display on the page ul.

I tried installing the plug-in, but doesn't have option to apply to a particular page, so code creates same front page display problem.

Are you not seeing this when you test it on your demo test site??

I don't understand about the private msg, do you need more info??

thank you
    Hi VickiP,

Sorry for long time without answer. I created new WP with fresh skyfashion theme. Then installed plugin as above (http://wordpress.org/plugins/my-custom-css/installation/). Into Plugin window (its available from left menu) i added this code:

#content ul li {
        list-style: disc outside none;
        padding: 6px 20px;
    }

Result:
    http://a13.bboyrudy.com/skyfashion/?page_id=2

Kind regards