Before you ask please READ THIS

AddThis Plugin is not working

edited September 2013 in Hypershot Posts: 30
Hi!
I've been through the whole discussions here but I can't find a solution for my problem, so I start this one here :)

I managed to get rid of the link-icon when hovering over a photo in the album. Because I don't want visitors to jump to a blob page where they can download the photo this easy. So the only icon I get is the info icon. So far everything is fine.
Now I installed AddThis because you recommended it in your documentation. I used share this before. Anyway I don't mind which one I use. I just need the share an like function from facebook on every image.
But after insalling and setting everything up I don't get the icon to show up (as in the attached screenshot). And I don't know what is wrong.
In the settings I got this checked: Do not show a sharing tool at the Top of posts
And at the Bottom Sharing Tool I checked the first option with the small icons.
In my understanding it will only apply for blog posts and I don't get how it will add this Icon to the photo-overlay in my album :/
My Album settings are:
Theme --> Full
Fit album --> Fully visable
Fit images --> Fit always

And here is a list of my active plugins:

AddThis Social Bookmarking Widget
Akismet
All In One SEO Pack
Contact Form 7
CopyRightPro
Facebook Members
Filosofo Home-Page Control
Google Analyticator
Google XML Sitemaps
Hyper Cache
Jetpack von WordPress.com
Post Types Order
Revision Control
SEO Friendly Images
Social Media Widget
Ultimate Coming Soon Page
WordPress Database Backup

If you need more information let me know. I hope you can help here.
Thank you!
Unbenannt-1.jpg
1280 x 938 - 186K

Comments

• AirAir
    Hello there

Thanks for list of your plugins. Link to your site would helpful. Please try to deactivate all plugins(except AddThis) as explained here http://support.apollo13.eu/discussion/12/before-you-ask-read-this-#Item_1 and then tell how it is behaving.

With regards.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 30
    hi!
    Here's the link to my site: http://www.kevin-schuenemann.de/
    But because I'm still working on it it is not reachable if you're not logged in. The "Ultimate Coming Soon Page" plugin shows only a coming soon picture.

I just deactivated every other plugin and deleted my cache. Nothing happened :/
    I use WordPress 3.6.1. But I didn't install the last update from your theme. But I don*t think that this will change anything because it also didn't work with the version before.

I also have an issue updating. That is a new topic so to respect your rules I didn't want to discuss this one here. But it say that the destination folder "hypershot" already exists and therefore the installation fails.
    --> Select "Yes" from the "Upgrade existing theme?" option.
    I don't even get this message...

But as I said I don't think that this update will resolve my problem. It must be another mistake I made I guess.
    The only change I did was in the single-album.php where I deleted <a class="link-ico" title="<?php esc_attr_e(__fe('Link')); ?>"></a> to get rid of the link-icon.

Any suggestions?

Regards
    Kevin
    Post edited by Air on
    oh the code I posted wasn't send...
    how can I insert php code that will show up here?!
  • AirAir
    edited October 2013 Posts: 10,970
    krebbin said: That is a new topic so to respect your rules I didn't want to discuss this one here
    But you do:-)
    You don't have such message because you didn't use plugin for theme updates as described in documentation. Or did you?
    Anyway you can delete theme manually on FTP or in admin panel and install it once again, you wont lose your settings.
    krebbin said: But as I said I don't think that this update will resolve my problem. It must be another mistake I made I guess.
    The only change I did was in the single-album.php where I deleted &lt;a class="link-ico" title="&lt;?php esc_attr_e(__fe('Link')); ?&gt;"&gt;&lt;/a&gt; to get rid of the link-icon.
    Then install update and you will get back to normal file single-album.php, and before making there changes again, check is it working:-)

I have to add option for deactivating link in albums to admin panel. I will do it soon.

With regards.
    Post edited by Air on
    Sorry you are right I did lol... but just because I thought it would be helpful to let you know. Anyway... I just updated the theme. So as you said my single-album.php was reset. Now I have the link icon again and of course the info icon. But there is no share icon.
    I deactivated all plugins again and deleted my cache. Even logged out from wordpress. But after refreshing my site there is still no change. So I guess it's not a plugin problem. Is it possible that I did something in the wordpress options that could have caused this problem? I've bee through everything but I can't figure out what it could be.

Any other ideas?

kind regards

• AirAir
    Could you please send me temporary access to your WP so I could check there what is going on? Send it here on forum via private message(click on my nick and there you will find option to send message). In message please attach link to topic it applies to.

With regards.
    Hi, I have the exact same problem... Unfortunately even though I looked through all the old logs, I didn't realize this tread and I apologize but I asked the same question again :(. When you resolve this for krebbin, can you please post the resolution here or to my discussion.
  • AirAir
    Hello

Thank krebbin for access. I have found out that for some reason, in your case, AddThis can't add its JavaScript file to front-end, and this is why you don't see share icon.

I have also found out that Facebook Members plugin is messing JavaScript of AddThis in admin panel. Unfortunately deactivating it didn't help for front-end. Maybe it did some changes while installing. Try to delete it and reinstall addthis, maybe it will make some difference.

iraj: What crazy plguins you have installed?:-)

With regards.
    ok I'll try that! thanks so far. I'll post here if something changed ;)
    Hi again!

I deleted both, facebook members and addthis plugin. Installed addthis again but still no change. The thrid icon won't appear in the frontend :/
    Krebbin, great news, I resolved my issue and I think you have the exact same problem.
    It's "Under COnstruction" plugin that AddThis doesn't like. Deactivate it, and check your site and AddTHis will show up. The good part of it is that once deactivated and Addthis does its thang you can reactivate "Under COnstruction" and addthis will still work.

Good Luck
    Iraj
    PS. AIR, thanks for the tip on what to look for :)
  • AirAir
    Thanks for info iraj :-)

krebbin I have no idea how to solve this in your case. It would be nice to test it on clean install. Then activate one plugin after another, and check when it will break.

With regards.
    didn't work in my case... :(
    Hi Air!
    So there is really no solution to my problem? I don't want to start from scratch with a new installation. I just got everything finished to go online except the social sharing function which is very important for me. Actually this was one of the main reasons to purchase this theme :P
    Maybe there is another plugin which offers the same functions? Or is just addthis working with your theme? I really need to share my content on facebook.
    I also tried to copy and paste just the URL but then fb doesn't show any thumbnails in the post preview.

I really hope we can find a solution for this problem without me having to reinstall wordpress etc...

with regards.
  • AirAir
    krebbin said: I don't want to start from scratch with a new installation.
    I only said that you should setup other installation for test, so we could trace when issue starts showing up. I can't do it unfortunately cause on my server it works great.
    Plugin collisions sometimes happen and it is not always easy to trace why:-)
    krebbin said: Or is just addthis working with your theme?
    We optimised it for AddThis so there is no other.
    krebbin said: I also tried to copy and paste just the URL but then fb doesn't show any thumbnails in the post preview.
    Cause Facebook probably see only your "Coming soon" mode, like any other not logged user.

With regards.
    Ok I understand...
    But if I for example start from scratch and if I can find out which plugin breaks everything then I still have to start over right? ;P
    I thought about another way... maybe you'll call me crazy lol... but maybe you can kinda tell me which files/scripts may possibly be the ones that got affected by the "bad plugin". Wouldn't it be possible to compare these files on my server with the clean ones from the theme downoad to find out what's different?
    Maybe I'm totally wrong here but just thought about it. Because I really want to avoid to reinstall everything and getting all my customizations back.
    But if you tell me that there's no other way I have to because I do need the abilioty to share single images on facebook.
    Or maybe you can think about a built in function in a future update ;)

Thanks so far Air, really appreciate your help on this one here!
    And far from that I really love your theme! :)

With regards.
  • AirAir
    If you don't mind I will log in to your server in few hours and try to make something to make it work. It may require temporary deactivating some plugins but I hope you will agree for that:-)

With regards.
    That's totally fine Air! Thank you :)
  • AirAir
    OK I debugged it for an hour, and could find reason why it is not working but I made small change in plugin code and it works now. Change I did was in wp-content/plugins/addthis/addthis_social_widget.php

I have changed code:
    function addthis_register_script_in_addjs(){
        global $addthis_addjs;
        $script = addthis_output_script(true, true);
        $addthis_addjs->addToScript($script);
    }
    to
    function addthis_register_script_in_addjs(){
        global $addthis_addjs;
        $script = addthis_output_script(true, false); //<-here is change
        $addthis_addjs->addToScript($script);
    }
    For time being after update of plugin you may need to make same change.

With regards.
    Air... U R THE BEST! :D
    Thank you so much for taking your time to fix this. Can't say how happy I'm now.

Just one last thing. I don't know if it's possible, but may I disable the share function for specific albums? As you can see I set up an background album for my homepage. Here are just some random photos as a fullscreen slideshow. In this case I think the icon is a bit disturbing.
    If that's not possible I'll live with that. At least I can go online now... thank you!
    Wish you a great day and thumbs up for the perfect support here!

Cheers
    Oh and I just noticed something... the small numbers on the homepage are back. I disabled them with custom css by inserting the following script:
    #slide-list {
    display: none !important;
    }
    It worked great but now they are back. My css code is still there (Design--> Custum CSS). Do you know what happened here?

Thx again!

With regards.
  • AirAir
    Hi krebbin and thanks for all your kindest:-)

For now it is not possible, for sure not any easy way. I will mark this topic and in future I will try to work something out in this matter. It won't be fast, as now we concentrate on new theme, but after release I will get back to this:-)

With regards.
    Post edited by Air on
    Ok no problem! Can live with that. ;)
    But any idea on my second issue with the numbers?
    As I said it already worked before to hide them with the custom css. Or is it with your customization now not possible to hide them again?
  • AirAir
    Ooo damn. Now I see that this change in plugin made nasty things in code, and that is why custom CSS is broken. OK I will make some test on my server and then I will fix it on your installation. Sorry for problems.

With regards.
  • AirAir
    OK this time I digged deeper and I found out that footer.php file of theme is somehow corrupted. That is the reason addthis doesn't work. Could you try to reinstall this file from ZIP file with theme?

I have removed my change from plugin, as this the real issue(footer.php).
    Post edited by Air on
    I have the child theme activated. So I have just to replace the footer.php on my server with the one from the child theme zip?
    Alright just realized that there is no footer.php in the child theme zip lol
    I replaced the file now with the one from the theme. Should I see a change? Still the same as before... :/
  • AirAir
    OK, please send me access to FTP(private message) cause this is big waste of time now.

With regards.
  • AirAir
    OK solved, and this was fun... kind of:-)

So story looks like this:
    1. Addthis plugin is searching for certain code in processed page, not in code of theme. So it simulate loading front page and looks for some HTML.
    2. This check is only run at:
    a) change of theme
    b) activate of plugin
    3. Since you got this 'coming soon' plugin when it tried to search for code it found only image that you put as "coming soon".
    4. That caused that addthis plugin thought that theme is shitty(no good) and wouldn't try to display scripts to not break it ;-)

Solved.
    Now that Addthis know that theme is good you can reactivate coming soon mode cause now it will know.

So finally this was sooooo true:-)
    iraj said: Krebbin, great news, I resolved my issue and I think you have the exact same problem.
    It's "Under COnstruction" plugin that AddThis doesn't like. Deactivate it, and check your site and AddTHis will show up.
    With regards.
    Post edited by Air on
    hi there I had the same Problem, $script = addthis_output_script(true, false); //<-here is Change helped
    but one Problem is still there, when I click on share this (like in the screenshot in the first post, Image in an Album), the share Icons are always different, how can I define the share Icons that I want to have in the Pop up when I click on share this?
  • AirAir
    Hello
    walter said: hi there I had the same Problem, $script = addthis_output_script(true, false); //<-here is Change helped<br />
    You shouldn't use this code, read other answers to understand issue and how to solve it.
    walter said: when I click on share this (like in the screenshot in the first post, Image in an Album), the share Icons are always different, how can I define the share Icons that I want to have in the Pop up when I click on share this?
    There is no screen shot but maybe this will help you http://support.apollo13.eu/discussion/comment/2920#Comment_2920

With regards.