Before you ask please READ THIS

Unable to change Page Background Image File - Error 404 page

in Photon Posts: 67
Good Morning,

I have changed the link to one of my photographs on the Page Background image file instead of the one that was used as default.

The correct text is now appearing and if I use the preview function I can also see my photograph.

However, when I type in a deliberate url error to test this I see my text but the originally Photon image.

Is the image coded elsewhere that I can't access?

Thanks,

Alistair

Comments

• AirAir
    Hello:-)

Any cache plugins?
    Where exactly have you changed this image?

See settings for 404 error page http://apollo13.eu/docs/photon/#!/pages_menu

With kind regards.
    Hello Air,

There is the Photon function within Jetpack but I have switched this off.

I changed this image on the Error 404 page within Pages by using the upload image function on Page Background image file. This link is what I expect to see: http://www.alistairjamesbell.com/wp/pages/error-404/

In Customise --> Pages Layout --> 404 page template I have set Type = Custom and Select page as your template = Error 404 - The page... (page title) from the dropdown.

Then, if I enter an incorrect URL the result is my text from the error-404 page but the image from somewhere else. Example: http://www.alistairjamesbell.com/wp/pages/xx

Thanks for helping as always.

Alistair
  • AirAir
    Alistair - please go to Customise --> Pages Layout --> 404 page template and remove there background for default 404 error page - this will fix it.

With kind regards.
    Hi,

I had already checked this and there was no background image set here.

By adding and then removing my own image it is now appearing as a black background behind the text. Therefore, it is not picking up the pages linked image like the other pages do.

As a workaround, I can set my own image to the backdrop using the path you sent above.

Kind regards,

Alistair
  • OK I see there is issue, that I have to fix in theme, and then give you solution. I will do that tomorrow so be patient:-)

With kind regards.
    No problem, I'm in no major hurry. :-)
  • AirAir
    I have checked this again on my installation and it works great. I can see that you 404 page is missing "page" class in body, and that is why your image doesn't work. I believe it could be doing of some kind of plugin of yours so try deactivating all of them, and see if it work then.

With kind regards.
    OK, deactivated all and switched on the following plugins and it works as it should:

Apollo13 Photon Post Types, Contact Form 7 and Envato WordPress Toolkit.

It seems that is what is causing this particular problem.

With all other plugins active (including Jetpack and all its modules active) except WPML Multilingual CMS the page is displayed correctly.

WPML Multilingual CMS plugin active = page stops working correctly.

The first screenshot is the Java Console information (3 lines only) when WPML = Deactivated.
    Second screenshot is the Java Console information (several lines) when WPML = Active.

Hope this helps.

Alistair
    Screen Shot 2016-05-27 at 23.17.12.png
    2668 x 2688 - 3M
    Screen Shot 2016-05-27 at 23.18.51.png
    2670 x 2648 - 835K
  • AirAir
    I think you nailed this one ;-)

I don't know, why WPML is changing these classes, but I know how to fix it on our side. Give me some time, and I will post needed changes here.

With kind regards.
  • AirAir
    I was wrong, I don't know how to fix it yet. I will have to talk with WPML staff, cause same issue is affecting our custom "password protected" page.

I will reply when I will have some news.

With kind regards.
    No problem. Hopefully people won't make any url mistakes. :-) Apart from anything else, they at least get the message.

Kind regards,

Alistair
    Good Morning Air,

I'm not sure if this is related to the same problem (so I'll open a new thread) but the WPML Multilingual CMS plugin stops the search function from working on the whole website.

Thanks for all your reactive support.

Alistair