Before you ask please READ THIS

cannot import demo

part way through the demo import process I got the following error:

"Importer returned data in wrong format, so it can not continue. Probably unexpected HTML leaked into server reply instead of JSON format."

I called my hosting company and they said the re was nothing they could do - that I should contact you for support,

Comments

• AirAir
    Hello again!

Good you did contact us. This error usually mean that some plugin, or different part is printing unexpected HTML while import, and this means it is broken.

Try disabling additional plugins before importing. Please report back did it help.

With kind regards.
  • I have many plugins installed. You are actually asking me to deactivate all of them? This does not seem like a great approach as I will not be able to pinpoint which plug in is the problem if it helps. If I deactivate one plug-in at a time and test it will take me all day.
  • AirAir
    tatianairvine said: This does not seem like a great approach as I will not be able to pinpoint which plug in is the problem if it helps. If I deactivate one plug-in at a time and test it will take me all day.
    Well this exactly how you debug such issues. We have to first know if issue is not cause my bad functioning plugin.

We can not guarantee that every available plugin out there is bug free:-) And as there are thousands of possible addons that user can install "clashes" can happen.

If I will go to check your installation, this is first step I would do - disable all plugins to know if issue is in theme or outside.

With kind regards
  • ok thanks. Once I succeed in importing demos, can you please tell me if I can import a demo without losing all of the work I did on a custom version of the site I have been building? Can I create a second child theme to work on an alternate version of the site? Do I have to choose between demo and custom or can I create 2 versions to see what works best?
  • AirAir
    Hey again!

In case of importing designs be sure to NOT mark Remove current content this way only theme settings will change. You can read more about it in our newest documentation http://rifetheme.com/help/docs/installation-updating/importing-designs/importer-configuration/
    tatianairvine said: Can I create a second child theme to work on an alternate version of the site? Do I have to choose between demo and custom or can I create 2 versions to see what works best?
    Best solution is to create copy of your installation, as theme options are stored globally per site. So using different child theme will not make a difference.
    However you can easily switch designs like explained in above link or in our post https://apollo13themes.com/switch-designs-rife-theme/ as it will only change theme settings. This way you can check what will work best for your site.

With kind regards.